Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Hey all,

I was just pondering in my dream world, thinking someday it would be neat to go on a cruise ship, of course this provides the opprotunity to possibly get seasick. Well, are there meds that prevent seasickness that one can take, that wont make one comatose for the whole trip? I think a cruise would be neat, just as long as I could know I wouldn't get seasick!

stugeron..... a travel tablet...

joy rides ... a travel tablet...

umm....

those wrist band things....

Jen xxxxxxx
    Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn\'t be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn\'t know that so it goes on flying anyway.

AIM:X20Jenneh02x
    MSN:
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Uh....maybe Dramamine or the wrist things.

Yes, the wrist band things.

See, my mom gets seasick very easily, and last time she went on a ferry boat with the wrist band things, there was a thunderstorm- and tons of people were throwing up, yet she wasn't. You could also try an anti nausea, but the wrist bands press on a nerve that effects your ear, and your ear detects motion. When your ear detects the motion, like the waves from the sea, depending on how sensitive you are to it you may get sick, but when you're wearing the wrist bands chances are that you wont.
    -Anna

I've never tried the wrist bands but I hear that they are vrey good ( and so have others!)

I persoanaly used joy rides - they ahve annoying pictures on them of a boat and a plane and car trying to look happy (they have faces) but that not the point. They work very well. They are chewable and taste ok too. And even thuogh the packaging is a bit odd I would recommend them! Plsu they wont make you feel too out of it - they are safe to give to childresn and adults just ahev a larger dose, so nayway they arnt going to sedate you like other travel drugs. And theres always anti emetics too which would be helpful - if not to prevent the sickness but if anything should happen

Its sounds like a wonderful idea!

Hiya!

I think the thing with cruise ships is that theyre designed to glide across the water so smoothly that it is hard to tell its moving. I think a travel pill would be good but people who ive heard of who have been on a cruise ship says that its so smooth it was like we wernt moving at all. Travel pills are a good plan though as a back up plan because knowing me im probably wrong lol
    ISAIAH 41:10

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I went on a boat in 4th grade (sailboat) and even though we were in break water, it was still a little rocky. I didn't feel the least bit nauseated, even though some kids did feel a little motion sick. But that kid, I would imagine, gets motion sickness easily. Just in case I got sick, I had some wrist bands along with me. I didn't use them, but I imgine they are effective because it has to do with pressure points or that kind of thing. Whenever someone has nause and presses on their wrist, wristband or not, they may relieve their nausea if it is motion sickness related. I've even heard ofthem being used for morning sickness.

Hey all!

Thanks for the info! I just think it would be neat someday! Ive never really been on a ship like that before.

Chris hasa point... cruise ships are usually large... the larger the ship,the less motion u will feel.... i think... i remember going on a big boat to France from England... and i hardly noticed we were moving at all!

Jen xxxx
    Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn\'t be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn\'t know that so it goes on flying anyway.

AIM:X20Jenneh02x
    MSN:

I was asking my nana this last week and she sid that the ships are usually so big that you dont really feel the moving like you do on a ferry. And there are river cruises too and the water is much clamer - my mum has been on them on the nile and she was worried about feeling yucky but never had a prob.

I tend to take Travella - a homeopathic travel pill...

and ginger biscuits
    <font face=\"Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif\">Reach for the moon - even if you miss you\'ll be amongst the stars...</font>

I actually asked my GP about the wrist band and he brushed it off and said the gravol was better but I'd really like to know more, does it really work as good as a gravol, does it make you drowsy, and how long does it last, and whats the name of the damn thing????????? Is it for upset stomach's or just for motion?

Thanks!

I tried to answer this but for some reason I kept getting bumped out. Anyways Yeah seabands are great for every kind of nausea just about. The doctor even suggested using them while I was pregnant because it would help.
    There are these patches you can get that go behind your ears. They release the medication through your skin and into your bloodstream for 3 days. They are small disks that look like a band aid so no one would see you wearing them.
    Then ofcourse Gravol (motion sickness pill) Now I have discovered that you take one the night before you are desitined to go and of course it helps you to sleep that night. THEN you take one the next morning....after that they don't make you sleepy.
    Then there are all the other tricks of course in preventing nausea in general that I am sure you are familiar with.
    To ease your comfort abit too. It isn't as common, in fact a lot rarer, to get sea sick on a cruise ship. Themovent isn't felt as easily because of the size of the boat, if you feel it at all. Anyways I do hope you decide someday you will go I am sure it would be a blast.
    Maybe we will have an emet cruise holiday.[img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]
    Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you\'ve never been hurt and live like it\'s heaven on Earth.

OOOOO that sounds great Melikasa!! We'll just pass out gravol and seabands at the gangplank!! I always wondered what it would be like to travel on a ship and look out and see nothing but endless miles of ocean...Id just hope we wouldnt get a storm!

in the UK you can get a scopolamine patch (a lot like the contraceptive patch) that is supposed to be absolutely the best thing for travel sickness. it used to only be available on prescription, but you can now get it in chemists.

it's availale in pill form too, but i know i can't stand to take pills when i feel sick.