Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: My experience

Hi, all,

Just wanted to share with you a very interesting (and not very pleasant) experience I had last night. Many of you know I perform with my family at various coffeehouse type gigs playing music, mostly folk, bluegrass, country old rock and roll, that kind of thing (www.donmorman.com). We had a gig last night at an Orthodox Jewish restaurant. When we got there to set up, they told us that I was not allowed to sing! According to Orthodox Jewish law, women are not allowed to sing in public!!! If anyone on here is an Orthodox Jew, I mean no offense, but I would love to hear the reasoning behind this. I felt terrible, my dad felt terrible because he had to quick rearrange what he would do. He ended up doing a few songs alone, and then we left. It was so humilating,but it was interesting to finally feel what discrimination really feels like!

But, the interesting note is that I learned a bit about Kosher eating. Sounds like such a clean, healthy way to eat! My husband said I should tell my "puke friends" (haha) about it! Might be a clean, safe way to eat!

Mary

"Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right."

Wow, I'm sorry you went through that. I can respect their beliefs and whatever reasons they have but they SHOULD have cleared that there wouldn't be female vocal .. what if you were the only one that could sing and everyone else played instruments? Weird. And yeha it is discrimination but its touchy because of the religious aspects.
    \"As soon as you trust yourself,you will know how to live.\"
    Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
    \"Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight.\"
    Benjamin Franklin