Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

View Poll Results: are you emetophile

Voters
445. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

69 15.51%
  • no

376 84.49%
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

I could never be aroused by vomit, but I definitely don't judge those who are. I wonder if it's sometimes scary, for those who aren't like turbo, but who are aroused by it. I can't imagine being in a mood and trying to find something, and then finding something too far and panicking.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

You may find these links helpful!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote Originally Posted by asianeko
    I could never be aroused by vomit, but I definitely don't judge those who are. I wonder if it's sometimes scary, for those who aren't like turbo, but who are aroused by it. I can't imagine being in a mood and trying to find something, and then finding something too far and panicking.
    Getting turned on by something at the wrong time is scarey. I used to have some uncomfortable conflict over this; but now I've come to terms with it pretty well.

Seems that you can't pick and choose personality traits - it's package deal. [img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]

Reading posts here, I see how difficult this combination could be. My fear only applies when my stomach feels "not good" but otherwise I don't think about it. When things are wrong with me, it is very real and compounds an already uncomfortable situation.

I'm trying to understand how a fear can completely overtake someone, even when there are no signs of feeling sick. A deep understanding of anything is the first step to controlling it.

Thanks for the insight!
    Later,
    David

Quote Originally Posted by turbokinetic View Post
    I'm trying to understand how a fear can completely overtake someone, even when there are no signs of feeling sick. A deep understanding of anything is the first step to controlling it.

David

David, the tricky thing for emets is that our stomach is always with us. A person with a fear of heights or the ocean or bears can do a lot to avoid them but emets can't get away from their stomachs. It only takes a little bit of uneasiness to set off a panic attack.

Doug
    To learn more about emetophobia, see

Quote Originally Posted by gumdropper1 View Post
    David, the tricky thing for emets is that our stomach is always with us. A person with a fear of heights or the ocean or bears can do a lot to avoid them but emets can't get away from their stomachs. It only takes a little bit of uneasiness to set off a panic attack.

Doug
    Yes you have a point there! I've done a good bit of reading and since posting that and have a better idea now. It's so seemingly unescapable and (for some) unpredictable.

Peace,
    David

hmm, well i have to say i can not understand how one who fears the substance, finds arousal from it. so i am surprised an emet can be an emetophile. no intention of offending, just genuine surprise.

as for me, no.

as for thinking it is weird and disgusting for another, it is not our business to judge, but there is no chance, absolutely none, zip,zilch, of any chance, of defending Emetophilia as normal, or within the norm, or not at least slightly disgusting. its a disgusting act in the first place, for one to find arousal from it, is odd and unusual.

that does not mean we should call one a freak, or be offensive, but that certainly doesn't mean you should try and sugar coat reality to make one feel more normal about it.

if you are an Emetophile, then you should embrace, that you have an odd/unusual fetish, if you participate in perhaps certain acts that i can imagine be out there, then yes, that is a little disgusting.

sorry in advance if i offend any Emetophile's, thats not the intention here, but certainly ain't gonna nod my head to the idea of sugar coating it as anything less than what it is.

if it wasn't sugar coated, it wouldn't be something to have to 'own up to' so much.

Default Re: are you emetophile

it's a no for me......but very interesting stuff....

turbo - thanks for sharing. From a psychology point of view it is certainly explainable although I won't bore everyone with the psychobabbling details. Suffice it to say that "excitement" can be positive or negative (such as "don't get excited - I didn't mean that" where "excited" meant all riled up). So in the same way, when one gets all riled up over vomit....that rush of adrenalin....it's very easy for the brain to confuse it with other sorts of positive "excitement."
    kyle - I know you mean well - but I don't think anyone is sugar-coating anything. We are not "normal" and emetophiles are not "normal" either. None of us is normal or we wouldn't be here. We just all have to remember not to start thinking that we are less abnormal than someone else. Actually, in my work in family therapy when it comes to sexual arousal I do declare there ain't no normal.
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

Quote Originally Posted by sage View Post
    turbo - thanks for sharing. From a psychology point of view it is certainly explainable although I won't bore everyone with the psychobabbling details. Suffice it to say that "excitement" can be positive or negative (such as "don't get excited - I didn't mean that" where "excited" meant all riled up). So in the same way, when one gets all riled up over vomit....that rush of adrenalin....it's very easy for the brain to confuse it with other sorts of positive "excitement."
    kyle - I know you mean well - but I don't think anyone is sugar-coating anything. We are not "normal" and emetophiles are not "normal" either. None of us is normal or we wouldn't be here. We just all have to remember not to start thinking that we are less abnormal than someone else. Actually, in my work in family therapy when it comes to sexual arousal I do declare there ain't no normal.
    No problem - my pleasure to share.

Even with my friends and co-workers I never claim to be "normal."

If you look up one definition of "normal" it reads "conforming to a type, standard, or regular pattern," with this case the pattern being the thoughts, feelings and behaviours of the average person.

Very little of my personality conforms to anything. I see the world differently than most people. My job is not "normal" - I work all over the place and work 2 weeks of every month on call 24 hours. I'm a cross between a computer geek, hippie, and marine diesel mechanic. My lifestyle is not "normal" - I'm 34 years old and never been married and lived on the road 10 years. Even my choice of a car is not "normal" - Car is 25 years old and has 3 times the power of an average car.

Very much agreed with your opinion that with sexual arousal, nothing is "normal." What to one is "perversion" is to another "finding intimacy in something others miss."

Of all the nonconforming aspects of my personality the vast majority differ from the norm in a positive way.

To sum it up; I know I'm not normal but I also know I'm not broken!

Respectfully,
    David

Sage,

I think that emetophobia and emetophilia might both be subsets of a larger condition, emetomania. We are all obsessed with vomiting.

Doug

Oops I accidentally hit yes because I read it really quick and though it said emetophobe :| Soooo take my score off... rofl

That was really interesting to read David! I have never heard of "emetophile" before reading this page. I can say right now that I am not emetophile now, but as I read this I remember I was really fascinated with vomit when I was very young. I would rewind videos (pre dvds) and watch a v* scene again and again. I remember one particular occasion of a boy v* on the school bus. Although I could feel my heart pounding, I couldn’t help but watch. I even had a crush on him for years later, even though I hadn’t noticed him before. I guess it is like watching a horror film..you don’t want to watch, but something makes you...adrenaline maybe!

Everyone, I am the one who started this poll and I am so happy to see that I am not the only one! I wouldn't have guessed that about 1 in 6 emets was emetophile though. That is encouraging to me because it helps me think I'm not so weird.

Asianeko, I just wanna make clear that I'm not aroused by vomit itself. No no no. What is arousing is a person vomiting, if it's an attractive girl. It's what is happening, not what results. The vomit itself is the most disgusting thing for me and it needs to go away fast. But seeing it come out, yeah, that is really hot!

Quote Originally Posted by dixy View Post
    That was really interesting to read David! I have never heard of "emetophile" before reading this page. I can say right now that I am not emetophile now, but as I read this I remember I was really fascinated with vomit when I was very young. I would rewind videos (pre dvds) and watch a v* scene again and again. I remember one particular occasion of a boy v* on the school bus. Although I could feel my heart pounding, I couldn’t help but watch. I even had a crush on him for years later, even though I hadn’t noticed him before. I guess it is like watching a horror film..you don’t want to watch, but something makes you...adrenaline maybe!
    Glad you found it interesting! The way you describe your schooldays - that was me, the adrenaline rush and morbid fascination!

Quote Originally Posted by bananas View Post
    Everyone, I am the one who started this poll and I am so happy to see that I am not the only one! I wouldn't have guessed that about 1 in 6 emets was emetophile though. That is encouraging to me because it helps me think I'm not so weird.

Asianeko, I just wanna make clear that I'm not aroused by vomit itself. No no no. What is arousing is a person vomiting, if it's an attractive girl. It's what is happening, not what results. The vomit itself is the most disgusting thing for me and it needs to go away fast. But seeing it come out, yeah, that is really hot!
    Glad you posted this thread! I tend to agree with Doug that there is more at work than meets the eye. "Emetomania" makes perfect sense to me. It's a fixation that can go either (or both) ways.

Makes sense and you have a good point about the act not the result. It's all about the person and the feelings more than the actual results.

Peace,
    David

Absolutely not!!!, I think that if I saw someone I knew V**, I would go right off them, & steer clear of them in future.

Annette, I think we have all had feelings like that, and those feelings are what I mean by emetomania. We see someone vomiting in the first grade and steer clear of them for the rest of elementary school. We walk around the place in the carpet that got puked on 3 years earlier. We throw up after drinking from a purple cup or wearing Garfield pajamas and never use a purple cup or Garfield pajamas again.

These are not normal reactions. Nearly everyone understands that nearly everyone pukes from time to time, and it doesn't make someone a pariah. It doesn't forever taint any surface it touches or leave a negative impression on any item associated with the event or the music that was popular at the time. It's just something that happens.

Getting turned on is one manifestation of emetomania. Doing what you said and keeping a scorecard of someone else's vomiting (reminiscing about it at class reunions decades later) is another manifestation. Emetophobe, emetophile, it's all the same. We all need to work on making this act less important to us.

Doug

NO. absolutely not!!

Quote Originally Posted by turbokinetic View Post
    adrenaline rush and morbid fascination!
    Thanks for sharing your experience of emetophilia. I'm not an emetophile, but I can relate to part of that as an emet.

When kids threw up at school, I remember the adrenaline rush was mostly to get me AWAY from what had happened. Morbid fascination, yes, but that only kicked in after we were away from the puke. I remember we kids all thought it was fascinating to sit around and talk about the vomit, past vomits, etc., but only after we were out of range. Surely not all children who liked to talk about vomiting after a puke incident turned out to be emetophobic. I think this is a topic all kids like to talk about. The problem is that some of us are still too much like kids when it comes to this.

Doug
    Last edited by gumdropper1; 10-21-2011 at 03:22 PM.

ugh, how can nearly 14% of people on here be emetophile?!?! Isn't this a emetoPHOBIA site?

Just wanted to say that although I am not an emetophile, first off I don't care who is and who isn't. Secondly, I have gone to fetish sites to ask people WHY they are turned on by it. I have gotten some pretty interesting and serious answers if anyone is ever interested. Finally, and this has never happened before OR after, but once I watched a House episode where I knew Cuddy was going to v* and I got a slight flutter of excitement in my stomach when it was about to happen. Can't explain it, don't know why it happened, but in that moment I guess I knew what an emetophile felt like.

I belong to a fetish site (Fetlife.com) and because I have explored the emetophile community I have gotten lots of requests for me to v* on someone. I always have to explain to them that I am emetophobic and emetophilia is not listed in my profile information. I however want to reiderate that I do NOT find the people disgusting. No it's not for me, but who's to say what's wrong and what's right? If two consenting adults want to v* on each other and get off on it, let them do it. No one is making you do it!

(Sorry if that came across as snappy, but I really hate when people judge other people's fetishes. If you were to look at my list you would think I had gone mad, that's why I don't share my fetlife account with anyone who isn't in the lifestyle) Thank you.

When In doubt, God prays to Hoffman

Nonono .. just.. no

Fascinating, really....I had no idea about the psychological correlation between the two. But NO, I'm definitely not one! Yowza.

I'm not one to judge people by what they like and don't like, fetish or not, emotophile or not. If it makes a person happy, and it's legal, by all means- go for it. I simply don't understand the mixing of the two extremes on to "V-continuum" on this site.

I'm not an emetophile but it is true to say that the more recovered I become, the more...fascination I have with it. For example, I will re-read chapters in books. I will read the 'graphic' posts here. Why? I don't know. I still don't like to vomit myself, I still stress about noro but then again, it's 'safe' to read about it, cos I can't catch it.

Is the same true of those who are emetophiles? Is it because it's 'safe' watching videos? Presumably if you engage in practices it's a deliberate act so no chance of catching it? Are the feelings the same if someone is really ill?

Just curious because contrary to what some have said, I actually think that emetophobia and emetophillia are very similar - after all, we are all obsessed over vomit.
    Last edited by angelgirl; 05-10-2010 at 03:38 PM. Reason: Typo

100% nooooooooooooooooo

No... but if my boyfriend is feeling in any way ill (even just general 'headache' or anything) and goes to sleep, I'll be downstairs and rather than put on headphones and listen to loud music and ignore any noises, I do HAVE to obsessively listen to every little noise. No idea what difference it makes, and you'd think I'd rather be oblivious, but I HAVE to know. Definitely not aroused in any way whatsoever though!! But the 'fight or flight' mechanism always kicks in and I get adrenaline pumping through like you wouldn't believe, usually a few minutes before a panic attack *rolls eyes*

Quote Originally Posted by angelgirl View Post
    I'm not an emetophile but it is true to say that the more recovered I become, the more...fascination I have with it. For example, I will re-read chapters in books. I will read the 'graphic' posts here. Why? I don't know. I still don't like to vomit myself, I still stress about noro but then again, it's 'safe' to read about it, cos I can't catch it.

Is the same true of those who are emetophiles? Is it because it's 'safe' watching videos?
    I think you are on the right track. A lot of emetophiles are current or former emets and a lot of us use emetophilia to make us less nervous about vomiting. It's a coping mechanism. It's safe for me to fantasize sexually about a sexy partner throwing up, but I am always very upset by real vomit. For me it is only about fantasies. That's how it is for most emetophiles too. Only a few claim they have really vomited for a sexual turnon and I think most of them are making it up. I feel more relaxed after I have been turning myself on with an emetophile fantasy and my emet is less bothersome then.

Interesting thread. I am certainly NOT an emetophile - I'm 100% phobic.

However, it is odd. About a year before I became emetophobic I was 7 and in the playground at school. A boy in the year below me suddenly v* everywhere and for some reason I was fascinated. I had to watch everything - I was even excited and remember running over to some of my friends to say 'he's been sick! Come and watch!' or something like that. I even remember during that time of being 6 and 7 years old incidents of other children in class feeling n* and I had to know everything and see what was going on...the opposite to now.

V* just never bothered me then as it was always something that happened to someone else. A few months after the playground incident I did v* on a rough ferry crossing, but it was quick and brief. That said I didn't like it and refused to go on ferries after that, although I wasn't emet from it. That was to come a year later...

Quote Originally Posted by Kazzia View Post
    I wasn't emet from it. That was to come a year later...
    And???....

Definitely NOT an emetophile. But I can see how the sense of panic and horror can be misinterpreted as a coping mechanism.
    Disclaimer: Any nutritional or health related advice I give is well intentioned and intended for general educational purposes only that may or may not apply to your personal health situation. It does NOT in any way, shape or form constitute as medical or dietetic advice. I am not your nutritionist and you are not my patient. Please discuss anything you may learn from any of my health related posts with your doctor and nutritionist prior to making any related changes.

Love me or hate me I am who I am. It isn't going to change. Don't confuse a succinct response or commitment to accuracy as being cavalier or patronizing.

I'm Definately not aroused by vomit. At all. Period. Though I do have some thoughts on emetophilia, i wont share. I think others on this thread have been a litte rude. I thought we were sposed to support eachother? We all have issues.
    "Day by day, nothing seems to change. But pretty soon everything's different."