Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

View Poll Results: are you emetophile

Voters
445. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

69 15.51%
  • no

376 84.49%
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Default Re: are you emetophile

nooooo way, thats gross. I can't even watch cartoons v*

^ Same. That Family Guy episode with the Ipecac syrup still haunts me!

who in the HEL* clicked yes... seriously! That is really disgusting...

I and 35 other people clicked yes. We are emetophiles. We are emetophobes. We struggle every day just like you do and even more so. Would you like to trade?

Jaynielu, sensitivity is required even in situations where you feel the topic is disgusting. How would you feel if someone called you disgusting because you're afraid?

On topic, today I was talking to someone in my therapists office who's seeing a different doctor for emetophilia, he wants to be rid of it. I told him about my phobia and we laughed together. He explained some stuff to me, and it was pretty much what every single emetophile on here has said. He likes being able to nurture and help his wife when she's ill (they have 8 children, I'm guessing she was probably ill a lot), and is not turned on by the vomit itself. He was a really lovely guy, very meek and polite, not disgusting at all.

It's normal that there would be a LOT more no votes on an emetophobia website, but I find it even more interesting that you guys can be both.

Nope, not at all! The thought of v* makes me feel nauseated, so that would never make me turned on! But of course, I don't judge .. do what makes YOU happy. Nobody here is "normal" and I'm sure there are dozens of stranger fetishes out there!
    "I'd rather cross the line and suffer the consequences, than stare at the line for the rest of my life." <3

haha woops, i ment to click no

NO and I voted wrong. How can I change my vote?

Ugh god no!!! Theres this show 1000 Ways to Die and we were watching it at a friends house one night and there was somebody with emetophillia and I couldn't watch it...the whole concept of it was freaking me out!!!! Ahhhh!!!

I'm not really the type to hold prejudices buuuuut... No. It's wrong. It's filthy. It's EVIL. And that's all there is to it!

Strannik

Again, some sensitivity? I know we're all afraid, but how would you feel if someone called you wrong, filthy and evil because you're afraid of this? There are actually people who've clicked yes, so perhaps taking into consideration their feelings if they're reading this might be sensible.

I agree that a little sensitivity wouldn't go amiss; but I don't think one can compare a phobia with a fetish. They are two completely different conditions, and not at all related.

Definitely a 'No' from me.

Actually (and I'm not arguing here, just an interesting thing that was said earlier on the thread), there are a few emetophiles who are also emetophobic. Doug (gumdropper) suggested that emetophobia and emetophilia are linked and are part of a bigger "emetomania", or an obsession with vomit.

In any case, I wasn't trying to compare, I just think that people wouldn't like being called disgusting and evil for being afraid of something just like emetophiles are going to get offended by being called disgusting and evil for I guess, being turned on by it. I just feel that we expect sensitivity from people for our phobia, we should be sensitive towards someone with a related problem.

Quote Originally Posted by KaydeeJayde View Post
    Actually (and I'm not arguing here, just an interesting thing that was said earlier on the thread), there are a few emetophiles who are also emetophobic. Doug (gumdropper) suggested that emetophobia and emetophilia are linked and are part of a bigger "emetomania", or an obsession with vomit.

In any case, I wasn't trying to compare, I just think that people wouldn't like being called disgusting and evil for being afraid of something just like emetophiles are going to get offended by being called disgusting and evil for I guess, being turned on by it. I just feel that we expect sensitivity from people for our phobia, we should be sensitive towards someone with a related problem.
    This, exactly. After reading through this thread a few times, the initial shock of it wore off. We all feel strong about vomit, we hate it with a passion. It's the primal urge of fear. Why can't people who experience this also experience other primal urges associated with it?

(Mildly Explicit below, NOT vomit related. 18+ please, highlight to read)
    If the idea of rape bothers or seriously offends you, please don't read further.

I can't imagine anyone would want to be raped for real. However, many women do have a forced sex fantasy, some role playing it out with their partners. I imagine emetophiles may be similar, in something that they really really don't like having a forbidden appeal. Granted, I'm not an emetophile so I can't say this is accurate or not, just a guess.

(Mildly Explicit above, NOT vomit related. 18+ please, highlight to read)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

You may find these links helpful!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Well said, Asianeko. I'm not an emetophile either but I'd assume it'd be somewhat similar, maybe a little less traumatic, but the same concept.

Apologies for my bluntness; I was a bit perplexed as to why somebody would post such a poll here and I didn't realise that emetophilia is actually as much an unwanted mental issue to them as emetophobia is to us. I automatically assumed this poll was intended to cause disgust among we phobics.

Just goes to show eh? Assumption is the mother of all screw-ups!

Strannik
    Last edited by Strannik; 07-02-2011 at 01:27 PM.

Nope, never!! I saw something like that on "1,000 Way's to Die", and I was SO grossed out, NEVER EVER! But to each their own

Heck naw homey. But I wonder who the forty emet-lovers are?
    Life is so worth living.

Why in the world would an emetophobes on an emetophobic form being aroused by v*?!?!?!

If you read the rest of the thread, you'd see the discussion on which it was said that both emetophobia and emetophilia are part of a bigger "emetomania", so the two are quite possibly closer linked than you'd think.
    Come visit my history blog:

Quote Originally Posted by gumdropper1 View Post
    Welcome, David. We have discussed emetophilia here many times before. Some people are squeamish about it, but the consensus is that it is a variant on emetophobia that some people have to deal with. According to this poll, almost 1 in 5 emetophobes is emetophile, and I have seen other polls that about 2/3 of emetophiles are emetophobes. It's all related.

Doug
    I'm not disagreeing with you or anything, but I'm just wondering how someone can be both terrified of something and aroused by something at the same time. It's quite interesting. Do you have any more information on it? It just seems so contradictory.

^ I would direct you to Asianeko's post on 2 July 2011 earlier in this discussion. She made the point that rape is a common fantasy of women, even though these same women are terrified of (non-fantasy) rape.

Emetophilia has been a difficult topic to study because most emets react negatively to the concept and when presented with questions, emetophiles are more interested in feeding their lust than discussing the topic objectively. However, this survey shows that about 15-20% of emets are emetophile, and I have seen in surveys that about 2/3 of emetophiles are emets.

Emetophobia and emetophilia are definitely connected. Some emetophiles say they use arousal as a way of reducing their anxiety.

Doug
    To learn more about emetophobia, see

Quote Originally Posted by Jen06 View Post
    I'm not criticizing or demeaning anything anyone feels when I say this, and please don't take anything I say offensively because that is definitely not how I mean for this to come out. I'm just really confused by this whole thing. How can one POSSIBLY be as afraid of vomit as I am and be "turned on" by it. Aroused? Sexually? I just don't get it. If you're THAT afraid of something that gross (let's face it...vomit IS gross), how can it turn you on to see someone else doing it? I'm normally running in the opposite direction! When someone else vomits, it makes me sick to my stomach. Granted, I'm MORE scared of vomiting myself...especially in front of others...but I just can't comprehend how one could be deathly afraid of vomit (several of us have said at some point in our lives that we'd rather DIE than vomit) but still be "aroused" by someone else doing it. I feel horrible for that person. I couldn't get pleasure for someone else's pain. I understand that both emetophiles and emetophobes are both obsessed with vomiting, but for totally different reasons. One is deathly afraid. One is highly aroused by it. You can be deathly afraid of something and still highly aroused by it? I get the adrenaline thing because trust me, when someone else vomits near me, my stomach jumps like I'm on a roller coaster. It makes me instantly nauseated. Does this mean that someone who is deathly afraid of spiders (aracnophobe) can be "aroused" by watching spiders crawl all over a "hot" man or woman? What about fear of heights? Do some fear heights to the extreme, but get aroused by watching others jump off of a bridge or high building? Like I said, not judging or criticizing...I'm just completely dumbfounded.
    Couldn't have put it better myself! x

Quote Originally Posted by haylz113 View Post
    Couldn't have put it better myself! x
    Bear in mind some emetophobes aren't afraid of vomit, they are afraid of the act of vomiting, and usually only of themselves doing so. It can be a control issue or related to an anxiety disorder, but whatever the reason it's important to remember that not every emeteophobe has exactly the same symptoms or suffers in the same way as you do.

Quote Originally Posted by Quixoticish View Post
    Bear in mind some emetophobes aren't afraid of vomit, they are afraid of the act of vomiting,
    I think that relates to the point I made earlier about emetonormal. For me, I'm not bothered by seeing someone vomit (as long as it's not contagious), but I am severely bothered if I get exposed to vomitus.

Doug
    To learn more about emetophobia, see

Woah! No way Jose!
    "We have to learn to be our own best friends because we fall too easily into the trap of being our own worst enemies."

Quote Originally Posted by gumdropper1 View Post
    I'm not bothered by seeing someone vomit (as long as it's not contagious)
    Doug, tell the truth. Have you ever really seen someone? My thought is that you haven't.

i've read this thread a few times...just thought i'd put in my two cents....
    i don't understand how you can be affected by both, but i know you can because i am....
    for me, i'm more scared of others vomiting than i am of myself...but the longer i go without vomiting, the more the fear intensifies.
    i know that in real life, i can't stand the sight or sound or even the thought of it getting on me..guuhross!!(lol)...
    anyway, i can watch tv or a movie or even read or talk about it and it causes that adrenaline rush.... doesn't bother me one bit
    i think for me it's more fantasy than fetish....because if someone were to actually throw up near me, the panic would set in and i would surely be out of there fast....
    best i can explain it...

Does your fear make you feel like you have an eating disorder? mine does... I have lost ten lbs in a month... so far.. from not eating

Quote Originally Posted by CherBirdi View Post
    ^ Same. That Family Guy episode with the Ipecac syrup still haunts me!
    haha just saw this post. same here!!!