Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

My emet didn't get really bad until about three years ago.
    It was a really nice day, and my sister and I had walked up to McD's for
    dinner. We were eating, laughing, and having a good time. But all of a
    sudden, I was hit with a wave of nausea. My stomach began to hurt, but it
    never really liked McDonalds food in the first place. I stopped eating, even
    spit out the bit of hamburger I was chewing on and excused myself to the
    bathroom. I had a terrible stomachache, and didn't feel too good.
    I was in the bathroom for about ten minutes, and my sister wasn't too
    happy. Even though my stomach still hurt a bit, I finished up and we
    started home. But as we got nearer to the house, it hit me again, and
    when we got in the door, I raced to the bathroom. That's when the nausea
    hit. I felt like I was going to throw up, and it terrified me. I couldn't stay in
    the bathroom, even though my stomach was really upset. I got all shaky
    and started to panic. I even sat outside for a few minuted to cool off. I
    didn't know what was wrong with me and it was really scary.
    I grabbed a big blanket off my bed, then went downstairs and turned on
    the tv. My stomach was very upset, and I was shaking the whole couch. I
    was praying the whole time that I wouldn't throw up.
    We have a big tv, and I found this cheesy movie about Roswell. After a
    while, that calmed me down and the shaking stopped. I began to feel a
    little better.
    I still don't know what caused it, I had never had anything like that
    happen before. I'd often wake up with panic attacks afterwards, and camp
    out in front of the tv to settle myself down. Has anyone had this happen? I
    didn't really consider food poisoning, cause I didn't v*, but I guess it may
    have been. I told one of my "friends" and she said I was crazy. Please tell
    me I'm not!
    <font face=\"Times New Roman, Times, serif\"><font size=\"2\">Sometimes even to live is an act of courage.</font>
    —Seneca</font>

WOW!!! [img]smileys/smilies_11.gif[/img][img]smileys/smilies_10.gif[/img]That experience sounds absolutely HORRIFIC!!!!! [img]smileys/smilies_11.gif[/img]YOU ARE NOT CRAZY THOUGH!!!! It sounds like a level 10 panic attack!!! I don't know what could have caused it either, but from what you described, I am sure it was a panic attack. Very scary though!!! I've had similar things happen to me, and it has been SOOOOO SOOOOO scary and SOOOO close to the real thing. I actually got nauseaus reading your story!! Kind of like it was happening to me!!!

By the way, I often use the TV to distract me from nausea or whanot, also books, magazines, music, etc.
    *~NEHA~*
    Smile & God Bless!!!
    The Only Thing We Have To Fear Is Fear Itself- Franklin Delano Roosevelt

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Yeah, I considered that it may have been a panic attack, but I don't have a
    clue what could have caused it. It really was scary, and I've been scared of
    it happening again ever since it happened. I went to see the doctor
    afterwards, and he suggested that I could have low blood sugar, but I did
    some tests and my blood sugar level was fine. It happened again in the
    middle of last year (actually, it could have been around the same time)
    when I went to do a drama thing at UBC. A group of us went to perform a
    play, we were to stay for the weekend. One of my best friends was there,
    and we were all having an awesome time. We went to see some plays and
    I had to leave early cause I had a stomachache. The exact same thing
    happened, and I lay down in the little lounge and watched some tv, I felt
    physically sick. I barely slept that night, and felt horrible the next day. I
    thought I was getting the flu. I had to persuade my dad to drive out and
    pick me up cause I just couldn't stand the idea of being sick away from
    home, especially if it involved v*ing. (Needless to say, the rest of the
    group wasn't very happy, especially my drama teacher, and my dad was
    pretty miffed). And when I went outside to wait for him, I had to sit down
    cause I was dizzy. But when I got home, I checked my temperature and it
    was completely normal. I was upset about everything that had happened,
    the lack of sleep, the horrible sick feeling, the $200 I had just thrown
    away... I went to bed right away, and when I woke up I was fine. Even
    now, I really don't want to go back there.
    The thing is, I've been away from home several times since my first
    attack, and it didn't happen. It comes at the most random times.
    I know there isn't a way to prevent this, but how can I deal with it when it
    happens? Edited by: rock_on
    <font face=\"Times New Roman, Times, serif\"><font size=\"2\">Sometimes even to live is an act of courage.</font>
    —Seneca</font>

i too use television as a way of distracting myself, its what i ended up doing the other night, wen i had an experience similar to urs.

welldone for getting thru it tho. it shows ur a fighter, just like the rest of us.

Jen xxx
    Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn\'t be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn\'t know that so it goes on flying anyway.

AIM:X20Jenneh02x
    MSN:
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Wow i know exactly how you feel! I get the same thing. I start panicking and i get awful cramps i feel nauseas to the point i feel physically sick. i shake violently and that makes the nausea worse. But i never know what brings an attck on but it's definitely not in my head its as though i really am going to V* . it's awful so i know how you are feeling. I usually drink lots and lots of water and try to fall asleep sitting up.
    I couldn\'t tell you why she felt that way... she felt it everyday and i couldn\'t help her... i just watched her make the same mistakes again...

Hi Rock_On-

First, let me say I empathize because that used to happen to me all the time. One time I went out of town for a school event, and suddenly felt really sick and I panicked. I had to stop what I was doing (it was in front of a group of people), and I ended up having to have the high school principal drive me home early. It turned out I was fine, of course, but it was embarrassing and caused several people to be inconvenienced.

Anyway, it sounds to me like you are having severe, out-of-the blue panic attacks. You seem to be looking for a cause, but some people do have them just out-of-the blue....OR...they do not recognize that they are getting more and more anxious until the panic hits. For example, I tend to panic if I feel ANYTHING strange with my body - even if it isn't nausea. One time, I got a tetanus shot, and it made my arm very achy. During a class afterward, I kept having these crazy panic attacks from nowhere! I forced myself to check in with my body and see why I thought something was wrong, andI was veryconfused because my stomach felt fine. It turns outit was my arm! Consciously, I did not mind that my arm was sore, so I dismissed it; subconsciously, I sensed something 'wrong' with my body, and kept panicking.

People who suffer from these "from nowhere" panic attacks really have a rough time because they look for specific trigger to avoid, and when they can't find one, they try to avoid everything. But the trigger is inside YOU, and therefore, you can learn to control it. You should check in with yourself several times a day - how are you feeling? Are your shoulders tense? Relax them. Are you breathing too shallowly? Slow down. Roll your neck, shrug your shoulders, close your eyes...consciously keeping your body relaxed will help prevent sudden onset panic attacks.

Of course, I don't know for sure that this is what you have had, but you might ask your doctor if those symptoms sound like anything he/she recognizes. In the meantime, don't stop going places or travelling for school! I'm glad that these events have not scared you from that. Don't let them!
    Soluene

If you are going through hell, keep going. -Winston Churchill

Ive had a few similar experinces out of nowhere.

the first time was during an exam. I wasn't stressed at all but suddenly the room started getting very blurry and i layed my head on the desk because it felt heavy. the next thing i knew my back was literally dripping in a cold sweat and i could barely raise my hand to be excused. the teacher had to help walk me out of the room.I had horrible nausea...I had a glass of water, walked around a bit, and felt better in about an hour. I have no idea what happened. there was NO panic, though.

the second time i was away on vacation in Quebec, and walking back to the hotel. I was on a school trip and all of a sudden i felt Diarahea coming on. I literally had to run to the hotel full force and I just barely made it. I think something i ate disagreed with me because i have never felt that sick before. Ofcourse they made me go on the tour with them, and told me to bring a plastic bag with me on the bus. just the thing i needed to hear. it was awful. I felt better later though.

the last time was about 2 years ago. i was at work when suddenly i felt faint and i couldnt stand up.I went into the break room and started the cold sweats again. The called an ambulance and the paramedics came in, took my blood pressure and my blood to check my sugar levels. they were all fine though. i have never felt so awful. they told me to put my head between my legs untill I felt better.the nausea came then.It was some kind of responce my body had to a break up a month earlier from my boyfriend of 3 years. Its amazing what that can do to you. I didnt panic, because my emet wasn't really all that bad then.

Its the same symptoms everytime. I have no idea why. I hope I NEVER feel like that again.
    ~*Jill*~ Teacher, Advanced BSc in Psychology

"You can unlock any door as long as you have the right key". Mrs. Brisby, Secret of Nimh