Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

View Poll Results: Phenergan(Promethazine)

Voters
49. You may not vote on this poll
  • Compazine(Prochlorparazine)

5 10.20%
  • Zofran(Odanstron)

11 22.45%
  • Kytril(Ganisetron)

0 0%
  • Tigan(Trimethobenzamide)

1 2.04%
  • Reglan/Cerucal(Metoclopramide)

4 8.16%
  • Dramamine/Gravol(Dimenhydrinate)

8 16.33%
  • Bonine(Meclizine)

3 6.12%
  • Cyclizine

1 2.04%
  • Other(Please metion below in a reply)

16 32.65%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Just wondering what you're favorite is and why.Edited by: jwavrek
    Life is a wonderful ride.

I entered Promethazine in the 'Option one box' Who knows!

I've voted for Cerucal just because I haven't tried the other ones. But cerucal helps, even after E hangover it helped. Unfortunately, it didn't help any of my friends when they had sv*((
    It was hard but I'd do it again (c)
    Sometimes it takes a thousand tries to win (c)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I like Promethazine and Zofran. I love Promethazine for the sleep and I've only have had Zofran once but it worked exceptionally well. I have v* after taking Promethazine too late though, when I was pregs.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I like my pepto/xanax combo. I also like dramamine. But phenergan works well too. [img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]
    \"Don\'t mistake innocence for ignorance. Don\'t mistake purity for inexperience. Don\'t mistake humility for weakness.\"

I've voted cyclizine purely because it's the only "proper" one i've used and i've never been s* after taking it, but cos you don't ever know for sure if you would have been anyway it's hard to tell if it's worked or if the n* just went away by itself or with some sort of placebo effect...i definitely feel alot better for having it with me at all times though!

I put other, I try not to take anything when it's just due to anxiety. I have dramamine and I am going to try it when I really really need it. I love ginger so I try to use that during the day if I'm anxious.

I am sorry I couldn't vote dear! The only one I have ever taken is phenergan.
    Perhaps it will be my favorite for now eh?
    Life is so worth living.

Pepto/Tums/Xanax/ & Peppermint tea

Other: Doxylamine (Unisom), ginger supplements, pepto bismol

So fae the only "anti emetic" I have is the nausea pressure point lol.

Was anyone else nervous before taking a anti emetic? has it ever made someone more nauseas? I have dramamine but I am a bit paranoid to ever take it lol

Quote Originally Posted by ia2006
    So fae the only "anti emetic" I have is the nausea pressure point lol.
    Where is it located?
    It was hard but I'd do it again (c)
    Sometimes it takes a thousand tries to win (c)

I don't take anti emetics as taking them on a regular basis lowers the effectiveness and if I did have something wrong with me I doubt very much the anti emetic would have time to digest/work.
    Be courageous, believe in yourself, and be the best woman you can be. I'm with you all the way.

I've never had an anti-emetic make me nauseated.

Quote Originally Posted by hippychick
    I don't take anti emetics as taking them on a regular basis lowers the effectiveness and if I did have something wrong with me I doubt very much the anti emetic would have time to digest/work.
    Hiya,
    Not doubting you or anything, but is there any medical evidence to suggest regular use reduces anti-emetics effectiveness? And if so, how many would you have to take over what period of time before they became innefective? A lady at work has been on 3 anti-emetics for 6 months while she's having Chemo and they don't appear to be losing their effectiveness yet.

I'm just interested. the ones my doc prescribed me are designed to be taken 3 times a day but i only take them when i feel n*, but i always thought (mistalenly it seems) that once they are out of your bloodstream they are out, or does the brain somehow remember them the next time you have them and build up immunity somehow?

The doctor also said they are extremely fast working so I feel pretty confident they would work if taken in time.

Thanks x

Well, I'll give you an example I've been on tigan for several months, my dosage has been uped from 300 mg 3 times a day, to 300 mg 4 times a day.

Quote Originally Posted by jwavrek
    Well, I'll give you an example I've been on tigan for several months, my dosage has been uped from 300 mg 3 times a day, to 300 mg 4 times a day.
    Is that because you were feeling n* again? I'm just curious i don't feel i take mine excessively or anything but i'm really worried now that taking them once or twice a week is going to make them not work.

I think your fine, But I'm not a doctor nor pharmacist, also, What are you taking?

Quote Originally Posted by paulinek
    Hiya,
    Not doubting you or anything, but is there any medical evidence to suggest regular use reduces anti-emetics effectiveness? And if so, how many would you have to take over what period of time before they became innefective? A lady at work has been on 3 anti-emetics for 6 months while she's having Chemo and they don't appear to be losing their effectiveness yet.

I'm just interested. the ones my doc prescribed me are designed to be taken 3 times a day but i only take them when i feel n*, but i always thought (mistalenly it seems) that once they are out of your bloodstream they are out, or does the brain somehow remember them the next time you have them and build up immunity somehow?

The doctor also said they are extremely fast working so I feel pretty confident they would work if taken in time.

Thanks x

I don't know if they would though, as although they are fast working, when you are sick your stomach will not digest or absorb anything into you. The only ones that would work are anything that is meant to dissolve on the tongue.

Any pill if taken long enough will become less effective as the body builds up a tolerance for it. That is why people have to switch anti depressants etc after a few years. So if you take it every day there may be a problem down the line.

I'm not trying to scare people or mislead them in anyway but we cannot be cured by taking anti emetics. It's a false sense of safety.
    Be courageous, believe in yourself, and be the best woman you can be. I'm with you all the way.

I like Promethazine (phenergan), Zofran, and Dramamine.

Quote Originally Posted by paulinek
    Hiya,

Thanks x

I don't know if they would though, as although they are fast working, when you are sick your stomach will not digest or absorb anything into you. The only ones that would work are anything that is meant to dissolve on the tongue.

Any pill if taken long enough will become less effective as the body builds up a tolerance for it. That is why people have to switch anti depressants etc after a few years. So if you take it every day there may be a problem down the line.

I'm not trying to scare people or mislead them in anyway but we cannot be cured by taking anti emetics. It's a false sense of safety.
    Zofran ODT (orally disinigrating tablets) are not absorbed in the mouth as far as I know, They are disolved by saliva and then swollowed and aborbed in the stomach and intestines, I'm not sure if any other brands of anti-emetic are available as ODT tablets. This is just based on my research.Edited by: jwavrek

I've never heard of any of those aside from Dramamine, which I bought but have yet to try (but might tonight). I usually take Pepto Bismol. I used to take Mylanta a lot but the taste started getting to me and now I get n* just thinking about it.
    The waiting seems eternity
    a day will dawn of sanity.

i aint never heard of any of thoseand i guess im alone in this but i drink alka-seltzermy mom gave it to me once when i was younger and it helped me so now whenever im freaking out i drink a glass of it and i feel alot betterand i eat crackers when i dont feel good and the alka-seltzer dont helpi guess its mostly in my head but oh wellif it works it works

I just pop Tums like no other :P They're yummy!

Default Re: Whats your favorite antiemetic?

I voted Zofran, but I like a lot of them. Ginger and Gravol are good for everyday anxious n*. The stonger meds, like Zofran, Droperidol, strong benzos ect work really well for more serious prevention/n* in a medical setting, especially in combination.

Whoa - I never even knew that there were so many antiemetics out there!!!! I've always just relied on my trusty cherry Pepto
    "People can't do something themselves, they want to tell you that you can't do it. You want something? Go get it. Period."

I use phenergan because here in Australia we don't have any of these other drugs :-/ well, I know you can get zofran here (on a script) and possibly a variation of dramamine.

I've taken promethizine, or however it's spelt, it's OTC here so it's easier.

I've also been given cyclizine in hospital.

I'm in the process of tracking down some Zofran as well, hope those will work!

For me I was s* after having promethizine and cyclizine and something else as well (total of 2 pills and 2 IV anti-emets before it stopped) BUT that was because I had poisoned myself with paracetamol and in all honesty it was an unfair experiement.

It is nice to know you have some anti emets around though
    "if the good lord had intended us to walk, he never would've invented rollerskates"

Emetrol (cola syrup) and pepto.

dramamine, bonine, and xanax does it for me! calms me down too!!