Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: HELP!!!

ok so i met this guy and he lives in california and i live all the way in north carolina..he wants to pay for a plane ticket for me to come see him..i have never been on a plane before and i am sooooo scared that im gonna get sick on the plane..i have never been motion sick before..i ride roller coasters and am fine but i cant do carnival rides i tend to get queezy on them..i keep tryin to tell myself i will be fine..but i am freaking out cuz thats a long flight..i take phenergan for nausea cuz i have a kink in my intestines that makes me feel nauseas alot..but i dont really trust it cuz i got sick one time while taking them..plz help!!!
    ~*Sharon*~

Okay I feel for you I do. Not only are you going on a plane for the first time, you are an emet. I've been on planes over 100 times in my life and yet I still get scared. The last time I had to take a plane last year to go visit some relatives. I asked my general doc for sedatives for the plane. Worked like a charm.

Before getting on the plane I had to talk myself into it, as I was traveling alone. Once I was on the plane I took the sedative and BAM instant calm. I didn't sleep at all during the ride but I didn't care any more. Also I had lots of stuff to occupy me. A laptop, a portable DVD player, and a book. I think you can do it, I really do. It seems so much scarier than it actually is.

If it helps at all, like I said I've been on a plane over 100 times in my life and only know of one person getting sick, and I only KNEW about it, didn't see it or hear it. I, myself, have never been sick on one or even nauseous. I believe you can do it!

Ahh I know how you feel. I just came back yesterday on a plane and I hated it! There's nothing scary or worrying about it, it's just really boring most of the time. I have taken travel sickness pills everytime I've ever been on a plane just as a precaution. They work wonders and often they make you feel a bit sleepy and it calms you down a bit. My only advice is to take things to keep you entertained.

thank you guys sooo much..it calms me to hear this..one of my friends who used to be a flight attendent keeps tellin me i will be fine and that elevators make your stomach drop worse..plus i ride roller coasters..i just wish i didnt have to take the flight alone...im thinkin bout takin a phenergan and a valuum to calm me but im gonna be scared to eat and valuums dont do good on empty stomachs lol..
    ~*Sharon*~

I know how nerve-wracking it can be. I personally think planes are super fun! The liftoff feels like the start of a roller coaster, and then it's just like being in a car. Bring some gum to help your ears pop, and maybe a book or video game. Another thing I've seen people do is take sleepy meds so they can nap on the plane.

I hope you have fun on your trip!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

You may find these links helpful!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

yea the closer it get the more nervous i get but im more excited at the same time..its gonna be fun to see a new place..i got my ticket the other day i fly out from raleigh nc to chicago ill. than to LAX and then on the way back i get to fly from LAX to houstan tx. than to raleigh..i cant wait to see the sights of california..i am determined and will not let my emetophobia get the best of me this time and i will not miss out on this awesome adventure i guess you could say lol
    ~*Sharon*~

Sharon... You are going to love flying! I have been an emet my whole life but have never had a bad time while flying. In fact I sleep! The best part is taking off. I imagine being in a race car and then you lift off and the feeling is freedom! I have flown so many times I cannot count. To me the hard part is going through security and checking in. Once on the plane, that is all behind you and you can relax and be excited about seeing the person when you land (which is also fun)!
    Nothing at all to worry about really!!

yea i am pretty excited..i cant wait to see this guy..and be in cali lol..like i told him haha i must really like you cuz im facin one of my biggest fears in the world by myself to come see you..lol..
    ~*Sharon*~

most people, DO NOT get sick on planes. i dont really get motion sickness, and a lot of people dont either. everyone is typically fine, just request a seat by the wing of the plane because it is less bumpy. i agree with waxangelwings, take a sedative and sleep the whole way there.
    <3 ~Julia~ <3