Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I was reading my neighbours magazine and it had someone in there describing emet. 1 min i'l type it out...........

'Am I odd?

I hate it when someone else feels sick or v* near me. I can't really decribe it, but i get upset and start to feel dizzy and shaky. What can I do to get better?'

the reply was......... Its normal to have a bad reaction to things. Mybe someone v* near you when you were younger and it still affects you. As you are miserable its time to tell someone you trust. Maybe a teacher or a friend.

I find that so annoying! The person replying didnt exactly help!! I ahte it when people always assume something bad must of happened to us in the past or that its not as serious as it is!! I'm going to write in to the magazine and ask if they can pass on a link to here. hmm Its interesting to know that there are loads more of us out there who havent even begun to know whats wrong.

I hope the girl will be able to come on here, they probably cant pass anything on though!

Quote Originally Posted by izzybee

I was reading my neighbours magazine and it had someone in there describing emet. 1 min i'l type it out...........

'Am I odd?

I hate it when someone else feels sick or v* near me. I can't really decribe it, but i get upset and start to feel dizzy and shaky. What can I do to get better?'

the reply was......... Its normal to have a bad reaction to things. Mybe someone v* near you when you were younger and it still affects you. As you are miserable its time to tell someone you trust. Maybe a teacher or a friend.

I find that so annoying! The person replying didnt exactly help!! I ahte it when people always assume something bad must of happened to us in the past or that its not as serious as it is!! I'm going to write in to the magazine and ask if they can pass on a link to here. hmm Its interesting to know that there are loads more of us out there who havent even begun to know whats wrong.

I hope the girl will be able to come on here, they probably cant pass anything on though!

you're right that wasn't very helpful.i mean i did have an experience in school where a kid did v* in class & it freaked me out but it goes much deeper than that. cuz i hardly ever do it. i hope that girl finds this site & maybe even a good counselor & doctor to help her through this phobia.
    ♥Stephanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thanks to sarah140 for my avatar and Fiona for my siggie
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

\"We can\'t help everyone. But everyone can help someone\"

I hate the way some people deal with emet. But I guess in her defence she doesntknow that much about it, thats why I think it should become more of a widly known thing! I think its far more scarry than a fear of spiders or of the dark!!

You're right.. thats wasn't very helpful!!

If they had done their research they would have known [img]smileys/smilies_02.gif[/img]

I think it's a good idea that you write in, maybe they could pass the link on to that girl! [img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]

Definitely write in! You never know they may pass the site along and you may help this girl who, if going by the response from the magazine, will go on thinking it isnt' a real fear and that she is odd. I'm proud of you Izzy![img]smileys/smilies_02.gif[/img]
    \"As soon as you trust yourself,you will know how to live.\"
    Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
    \"Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight.\"
    Benjamin Franklin

Yeah, it is sooooooooo frustrating trying to get another to understand what this phobia is all about. When I told a friend of mine I had a phobia about v*ing he replied, "Well, it can't be that bad. How often do you actually v*?" grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr[img]smileys/smilies_11.gif[/img]
    It\'s all right to have butterflies in your stomach. Just get them to fly in formation.

Quote Originally Posted by SimplyMe
    Definitely write in! You never know they may pass the site along and you may help this girl who, if going by the response from the magazine, will go on thinking it isnt' a real fear and that she is odd. I'm proud of you Izzy![img]smileys/smilies_02.gif[/img]

i agree, i went 7 years without knowing until i found this site, & strangely enough when nickelodeon's slimetime live did a question about what was the fear of emetophobia & v* was one of the choices & i was thinking if hesays v* i'm gonna be excited! cuz then it means i finally found a name for my phobia.
    ♥Stephanie

while everything everyone has said is absolutely true, we still have to remember that there are loads more people out there who are affected by vomiting, without it being even a diagnosable phobia, much less a really severe on as we have all suffered from. The good thing in the magazine was that the reply told the girl to tell someone she trusted. This is good advice. But in the end it's up to everyone to seek out help for themselves. Hopefully this girl will find it.

I do know what y'all mean about the general public NOT being informed about mental illnesses and phobias and symptoms, though. Lots of lack of knowledge out there.
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

I think that the vast majority of people dont realise how bad any phobia is. Peoples idea of a phobia is being scared of something but thats it, or not liking something. If i ever tell someone about my phobia I always say that its as scarry as knowing theres a burgler in your house who has a knife and is just climbing the stairs and is about to see you!!! That usually scared people! Atleast then can feel some anxiety!!

i know that would freak anybody out.
    ♥Stephanie

Ya - I finally explained it as thinking of your death being imminent - like that very second (you're about to slip off a cliff or something). That's what it's like. No time to think, or rationalize or anything.

Of course, as a sort of said, we have to remember that not everyone with this fear has it that bad...same with all fears/phobias.
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

Quote Originally Posted by sage

Ya - I finally explained it as thinking of your death being imminent - like that very second (you're about to slip off a cliff or something). That's what it's like. No time to think, or rationalize or anything.

Of course, as a sort of said, we have to remember that not everyone with this fear has it that bad...same with all fears/phobias.

yeah,i love your avitar! it's so cute!
    ♥Stephanie

heya, i was gnna reply last night, but for sum reason my computer wudnt let me :s

anyway, i found out what my problem was, by lookin in one of those problem pages in a magazine. i was 11 years old, and i just stumbled upon it. the problem was a lot more descriptive, saying stuff like " i avoid going out anywhere and evrytime i do i feel really nauseous and im always scared of vomiting out in the public", smthing like that, and the reply was "there is a phobia of vomiting called emetophobia, i would go to ur doctor", plus more which i dont remember. anyway,i actually chose to ignore that, cos i didnt wanna believe i actually had a severe problem like that. but, just thort i'd share that with ya.

Jen xxxxxxxxxx
    Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn\'t be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn\'t know that so it goes on flying anyway.

AIM:X20Jenneh02x
    MSN:

I found out the name of my phobia in a magazine too. Ok I've sent off my letter now so we'l see what happens. I gave my contact details too just incase they want to contact me!

good idea izzy xxxx
    Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn\'t be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn\'t know that so it goes on flying anyway.

MSN:

that's a great idea izzy!
    ♥Stephanie

Quote Originally Posted by izzybee
    I found out the name of my phobia in a magazine too. Ok I've sent off my letter now so we'l see what happens. I gave my contact details too just incase they want to contact me!

Me too Izzy!! I found out about it in a special issue of Time magazine on Phobias (In my therapist's office[img]smileys/smilies_08.gif[/img])and I searched eagerly for the fear of you know what, and was so happy to find it had a name!! [img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]
    *~NEHA~*
    Smile & God Bless!!!
    The Only Thing We Have To Fear Is Fear Itself- Franklin Delano Roosevelt

I found it in some teen magazine. They had a piece on someone who had a fear of something, but wasnt emet. Then they had a list of phobias next to it and emet was there! It made my search for this site a lot easyer!

I remember the magazne article i read, i even cut it out i think (mayeb i'll find it and type it up) Anyway this woman was explaining about how her emetophobia made her so scared to eat and she got hospitlized for anorexia. But even in the article she couldnt show her face because she was scared people would make vomit noises at her on the street or something. But she was starting to get better.

I Still wonder how this woman is doing now
    Be courageous, believe in yourself, and be the best woman you can be. I'm with you all the way.

wow. I've offten thaught about writing one of these real life stories! Maybe I will!

I hope that woman is okay now!! I actually can relate to what she is saying. When I was making my speech on emetophobia to my Spanish class, while a huge part of me knew they wouldn't make fun of me or say anything because they are my friends, another smallpart of me thought: What if they all stick their fingers down their throats or start making gagging noises?

They used to do that to me in elementary when I told them about my fear. [img]smileys/smilies_11.gif[/img][img]smileys/smilies_06.gif[/img]Esepcially the boys. [img]smileys/smilies_07.gif[/img]AND the boys used to flip their eyelids when I told them I hated it!! EWWW!![img]smileys/smilies_11.gif[/img]

I wish I could've cut out that 'Time' Article or at least "borrowed" it from the therapist...lol...Maybe I can find it in the 'Time' Magazine archives somewhere???
    *~NEHA~*
    Smile & God Bless!!!

i thought about doing a magazine article for a teen magazine about emet. so, other teens suffering could know that they are not alone.
    ♥Stephanie

Actually, I think MystikalStar and Harmony Girl were working on an article to submit to a magazine...I hope that's going well!!! It'll certainly raise awareness about this phobia!! I also can't wait till Sage's book comes to shelves! [img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img]
    *~NEHA~*
    Smile & God Bless!!!

aww, neha i'm sorry for what happened in elementary school. i know how it feels.
    ♥Stephanie

Quote Originally Posted by stephiewephie05
    aww, neha i'm sorry for what happened in elementary school. i know how it feels.

That's alright!! A lot worse has happened, but it only makes your skin thicker, right?[img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img]
    *~NEHA~*
    Smile & God Bless!!!

Quote Originally Posted by NCsmile6

Quote Originally Posted by stephiewephie05

That's alright!! A lot worse has happened, but it only makes your skin thicker, right?[img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img]

right! [img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img]
    ♥Stephanie

do you think sages book will be on sale in the uk?

Dont know, but i'm sure someone helpful will make sure we get copies!!!
    Be courageous, believe in yourself, and be the best woman you can be. I'm with you all the way.

yeh deffenatly. Cant wait!!

yeah same, i think Sage's book will be a godsend to this earth.

hope its going ok!!

Jen xxxxxxx

MSN: