Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: A fresh start

I woke up yesterday with a completely different attitude to the what i have had.

Instead of waking up and thinking "will i be sick today?" i woke up thinking "i'm going to make the most of the day".

I find that my emet is worse when i am anxious and so i've decided i have to start working on this. I got up and made my way to the gym which i haven't done in a couple of years and after an hour on the treadmill i felt my mood completely lifted!

In the afternoon i started to feel nauseous just as my boyfriend was cooking tea. Normally if this happens i will eat maybe a mouthful of food then make some excuse and leave the rest, often upsetting my boyfriend who has worked hard to cook me something nice. Anyway, with my new approach to everything i decided the very worst thing that would happen (and the worst thing is awful!) was that eating would make me sick BUT i didn't let this stop me so i ate my full meal and it completely got rid of my nausea!

I felt so proud of myself for forcing myself to eat and the nicest thing is my boyfriend (whose patience is rapidly running out with me) told me he was proud of me and even took me to the supermarket to get a desert of my choice which i greedily ate all of [img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img]

Well anything that gets you a pudding is well worth it! [img]smileys/smilies_32.gif[/img]

What a positive attitude and it just goes to show that it works. I know exactly what you mean about when your anxietys worse so is the emet, i'm the exact same, so i shall remember this the next time i feel sick or start worrying about "what if.."

Well done! xx

Thank u [img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]

I think i'm going to have to tackle this bit by bit and start making myself do things i wouldnt normally do.

I know i might not ever be "cured" but i want to get to the point where this can be under control and doesnt control every aspect of my life!

Yes that's exact;y how i want to be, and in some respects i'm not doing too bad at the moment, i don't think i will ever be cured and weird as it may sound part of me doesn't want to be because i may get sick more often (although if i was cured i suppose i wouldn't be bothered [img]smileys/smilies_05.gif[/img] so that doesn't really make sense does it?!) but yes if i could only get in a panic right the very minute i was genuinely actually about to be sick that would be good enought for me [img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]

Good luck and keep up with tackling it! x

Quote Originally Posted by paulinek
    i don't think i will ever be cured and weird as it may sound part of me doesn't want to be because i may get sick more often (although if i was cured i suppose i wouldn't be bothered [img]smileys/smilies_05.gif[/img] so that doesn't really make sense does it?!)
    I was having this exact thought yesterday!! Part of me is afraid to get better cos im afraid if i do i wont be so careful about keeping away from germs etc + get sick more often but then again like u said, if emet wasnt a problem would we care?!

I don't mind being careful with germs, im just tired of over analysing ever little twinge or ache i have in my body fearing it could lead to sickness.

We will all beat it one day xx