Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default How can others help you?

When your going through a panic attack, or when your just looking for someone to understand and talk to, what is it you are most looking for?

I was just wondering what are the best things, in your opinion, that people can do to help you? If you could tell your family or friends exactly what to do to help you through your struggles, what would it be?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Default Re: How can others help you?

I go to my boyfriend and I just tell him to listen to me. Usually once I rant and rave about all that I'm freaking out about I feel kinda better. Then, I just want support. Tell me everything will be ok. I like to hear it from someone else. Third, help me take my mind off of it. Talk to me, make me laugh, make me think.
    I just tell him what I need from him, so he can help. He's good at it, so I go to him usually. I also go to my mom because mom's always seem to be the best listeners and at fixing everything.
    “Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”

“We are the girls with anxiety disorders, filled appointment books, five-year plans. We take ourselves very, very seriously. We are the peacemakers, the do-gooders, the givers, the savers. We are on time, overly prepared, well read, and witty, intellectually curious, always moving. We pride ourselves on getting as little sleep as possible and thrive on self-deprivation. We drink coffee, a lot of it. We are on birth control, Prozac, and multivitamins. We are relentless, judgmental with ourselves, and forgiving to others. We never want to be as passive-aggressive as our mothers, never want to marry men as uninspired as our fathers. We are the daughters of the feminists who said, “You can be anything,” and we heard, “You have to be everything.”

Default Re: How can others help you?

Well for the longest time I couldn't go to anyone. Then I met JB and she's like heaven on earth when it comes to emet panic attacks. She's the first one I go to and all I have to say is "I'm having an emet freak out" and she asks me, "What's wrong?" and lets me explain it to her. Then she reassures me that everything is going to be okay and rationally explains to me what the outcome of the situation will probably be. I haven't yet had a MAJOR MAJOR freak out with her though, so I don't know how she'll react when I do. I actually haven't had a MAJOR MAJOR freak out for a while...so I'm actually doing really well!

When In doubt, God prays to Hoffman