Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Rollercoaster Question

I've had an insanely strong stomach all my life in regards to motion sickness (as in I could read a book in the aft cabin of a sailboat with 5 ft. waves and feel nothing), but in October I went on a rollercoaster that in previous experiences never bothered me, but this time I felt sicker and sicker as the ride went on. I didn't actually get sick, but I haven't been able to think about going on another rollercoaster since, and I am now worrying about travelling situations that would not have bothered me before this experience. My dad has a small airplane, and I used to go flying with him but now I'm too worried, as the last time I went I felt sick, but I think that might have been more due to panic because of the rollercoaster experience a month earlier.

So, in short, is it possible to develop motion sickness later in life, or are you just born with it? Is it possible nerves just got to me and now I'm stressing over nothing, and the rollercoaster thing was a one time deal?

Default Re: Rollercoaster Question

I have certainly been more aware of motion sickness as I have got older. Now, that could be from anxiety and my emet getting worse or just though change in my body..who knows.

It could also be from the type of rollercoater.. some movements (up and down/ spinning around and around)effect people more so than others. Someone else may give you more clarification..

Okay, thanks for the feedback. I've ridden that rollercoaster a few times the year before without any problems, and as I'd always assumed I was immune to motion sickness I wasn't expecting anything different the last time.

Maybe it was because I was hungry? I always make it a point to eat nothing before I go and while I am at amusement parks, and I did ride the ride towards the end of the day. Could an empty stomach induce motion sickness? I know I wasn't feeling sick before I got on the ride.

yes.. I can get quite n* when hungry..a vicious cycle..

I dont know where you live but if you can, get some Drammamine. It is a motion sickness pill. My sister is very bad about getting motion sickness and she can take just one pill and be completely fine on roller coasters and in the back seat of a car. It's good stuff, it effects your inner-ear, since that is where motion sickness comes from. It's safe and I would highly recommend it!! Hope this helps you! (If you are in the US, you can get this at Walmart or any other pharmacy.)

It could be cause you were hungry, I know that when I get hungry and am in a car I feel sick a lot faster easier, I have to keep looking straight ahead.

THats a good question. I have been more aware of my symptoms as I have gotten older. I have never been on a roller coaster but am willing to face my fear next month. I have been afraid of them ever since i was little, never been on one at all. Used to LOVE spinning rides, but felt nauseated from one and will never do them again. I also think that if we do have a bad experience on a ride or anything that might make an emet feel sick, they will have anxiety more than the actually sickness. I used to LOVE boats, fishing...anything that involved water, now I fear that for some reason I wil get sick...never have before...but it is just something that pops up.

You know,both my mother and sister used to be able to handle a lot. My sister not as much as mom, but roller coasters, most rides, car trips, only boats mildly bothered sister. Now mom can no longer ride spinning type rides, and if a roller coaster does a spiral she feels bad. Sister is still good on all rides I think, but has airplane issues. she does Dramamine and wears seabands.
    So yes, I do believe motion sickness gets worse with age, but at what age or stage of life is undetermined, as my mom was in her late forties before it became an issue, and my sister was in her late 20s when she started having trouble. I am in my late 20s, and I have not had issues yet with increased sensitivity to motion sickness, but I do think it will be soon for me. I think my anxiety will add to it.

I became more sensitive to motion sickness as I got older too, but not so much that it keeps me from flying or going on roller coasters. I think that anxiety can be a big component of it; it's easy to convince yourself that you feel sick.

If I think I'm going to have a problem with flying or amusement park rides that I've been on before with no issues, I take some Dramamine. It calms my stomach down and there's also the placebo effect and my emet brain thinking "It's okay, I took Dramamine."
    Elizabeth