Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default fear of public transport :-/

I'll be studying 3 days a week starting from July and because the college is in the city, I'll have to catch a 40 minute train ride and then a 20 minute bus ride to get there. It's way too far to drive, although I might do that one day a week (if I feel particularly nervous one day)....but obviously this fear is: a) seeing someone v* and not being able to get away, b) being exposed to germs and c) MYSELF v* which would be the worst. At the moment I just drive wherever I want to go and I feel really comfortable about doing so. I just hyperventilate at the thought of being exposed to germs and everything. How can I fix this before I have a meltdown?

Default Re: fear of public transport :-/

Not sure hun. I'm worried about the same thing when I move to NYC this summer. Except not only am I worried about v*, I also worry about getting d*. My nerves don't help because it usually ends up giving me the latter. I'm afraid of being in places with no access to restrooms. Subways and busses..yikes.

I can feel your pain. Before my parents brought my car up here to my school for me, I used to have to do the public transportation thing. Any time I wanted to go home, I had to take a 40 minute train ride, followed by riding on the subway, and then getting on yet another train. The total trip took about three hours. I did it many times, and never got sick or saw anyone get sick.

As far as you getting sick from this... as long as you wash your hands when you get to your destination, and don't touch your face/food while traveling you'll be okay.

And, especially this time of year, it would be rare for someone to v* on public transportation. That's not to say it wont happen... but its very unlikely. Who goes out in public when they feel sick anyway?

You'll be okay. And, if you do it a few times, it will be less scary. Consider it a step towards being cured!
    "Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once we grow up." ~Pablo Picasso

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thanks, yeah I suppose people wouldn't be out and about when they are sick. I guess I worry more about myself getting sick since I'll be so far from home. Hah, I sound like a baby :-/ I mean, I never once got sick during all of my schooling so I don't see why it would happen now. Hopefully I'll meet someone who I can travel with so it won't be so scary.

Just keep your hands super clean and you'll be fine! I know how you feel though, i loathe public transport!

I just moved to the NYC area in February and the subway thing has been the hardest thing. Something that "helps" me is knowing it's only a series of stops. That at any stop I can get off if I need to. So it's really just a series of short trips, not one long one. Also I make sure I have my phone and I play games on it to distract me. I find that when the train in underground I don't get motion sickness..thank goodness. I'm not gonna lie and say it's easy...but I've been doing it everyday for 7 weeks and it keeps getting easier and easier. I haven't had to run off the train once...although there were some close calls when I thought my panic was going to get the best of me. Just try to remember that you are not trapped on the train/bus...you can get off if you need to.

Thanks, I need to remind myself of that. It's only like a couple of minutes (literally) between stops so if for any reason I DO need to get off, I can. I know I'm over-thinking everything...I'm just anxious to be doing it already. Lol perhaps I should go and sit on a train all day or something. It won't be scary!