Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: Salivating

Question Salivating

I've heard that before you v* you salivate a lot, and I feel like I'm salivating more than normal.....do you think there's any connection? I hate worrying, but I can't help it

Default Re: Salivating

The excess saliva happens about 30 seconds before the act itself. You're just focusing on it and you think you're salivating more than normal.

No worries, you'll be fine.

I completely understand your fear, but Eke121 is right, its moments before it happens.

When I was little and someone told me that I honestly said this, "But when I think of pickles I salivate... does that mean whenever I think of pickles I'm going to v*?" haha!

I never forgot that though and I've gotten nervous when I salivate more than usual ever since!
    ~Claryn :3
    Listen to my conversation with Dr. Drew on Loveline about emetophobia (warning: slightly graphic, fakey v* sound effect):
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

You do salivate more. When I get very nauseous, I will salivate a lot. If I'm at home, I'll spit it out. Anti-nausea pills like phenergan usually dry that up.

For me, salivation that happens before you're supposed to throw up (been to the salivation point a few times, but kept myself from throwing up) is WAY different than salivating over a pickle (mmmmm....pickles!). First off, you will be so nauseaus that you won't move due to fear (at least I'm that way), then the salivation starts...massive amounts, which should have you thinking "I didn't know that my body could produce that much saliva!". Swallowing it or spitting it out is a personal choice, for some reason I'm afraid to spit it out (I feel like I will lose control over my stomach if I focus for a nanosecond on spitting), but swallowing is putting it into your already not-happy stomach.
    As far as nausea goes, the salivation starts usually when you've positioned yourself near a sink or toilet, "just in case", because it is so bad. Taking an anti-emet pill at this stage is hit or miss...they take at least 20 min to get through your system, so as long as you are able to hold out, for those 20 minutes you should be fine.
    Anyway, if you just "feel like you're salivating more than normal", it probably has nothing to do with the waterfalls of saliva that come before throwing up....there really is no question when it is happening.

Try not to focus on it and cause anxiety. Salivation can occur for dozens of reasons, smelling a certain smell, thinking about certain things, fresh air vs stale air, exercise. Your thoughts are incredibly powerful, just thinking about something or not thinking about something can be the difference between salivating like crazy and not salivating at all. Just try to relax. Eat a few crackers and some water maybe

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

i've had this a lot recently, its annoying.