Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: social phobia

right, i will apologise RIGHT NOW if i confuse ne of you and if none of this makes sense... but iv had a new idea.. i think that for me, i had social phobia which CAUSED emetophobia!!

btw before i forget to ask, i wud be interested to tlk to ne else here who has possibly had social phobia as well? only if u want to tho, of course.

anyway, as i was saying, wen i was 11 yers old, i moved schools into a high school and tht was wen social phobia for me was at its worst, i wud get panic attacks and consequently feel sick all day every day! it was horrible >.< i think, that kinda made me link feeling ill to really bad experiences, i.e. going out with social phobia.

so, i think taht might be why im afraid of v* now, cos bk then i was scared i was gnna v* all the time from this damn social phobia!!

does tht make sense to neone? i hope so, cos i gotta try and explain that to my social worker on tuesday, if ur thinking im talknig a loada bull and shudnt tell my social workr elsei'd be extremely embarrassed, please say, lol.

anyway, ta-ta

Jen xxxxxxxxx
    Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn\'t be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn\'t know that so it goes on flying anyway.

AIM:X20Jenneh02x
    MSN:
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

jen,

You may be right. People have emet for different reasons. We don't always know why. I think you should mention it.

Peace.

Kim
    It\'s all right to have butterflies in your stomach. Just get them to fly in formation.

It doesnt sound confusing, That may be the cause of the phobia. Its hard to know exactly what causes emet but that sounds like it could be the reason why you have it. Hope it goes ok with your social worker

mine is the other way round...the emet came first and developed into a social phobia...my emet has sum what changed over the years and gone from a fear of vomiting just to a fear of doing the deed sumwhere away from a toliet or in public...

I found out that this was the root of my problem as well...even though I don't actually have (nor had) social phobia, and would quite easily make a fool of myself in public. (I have a very public job, and I'm in front of hundreds of people all the time).

Yet the idea of vomiting in front of anyone scared the living hell out of me. It was all wrapped up in it, anyway - not necessarily a "cause" or even "effect".

I had to learn that even if I did vomit in public, it would still not be the worst thing in the world. I used to think there would be nothing worse on the face of this earth...but that's faulty thinking, really. Yes, you'd be embarassed.....so??? Then you'd be ok! You might even be embarassed for a while, but you'd still be you and people would still love and accept you, and you'd be ok. It took me a LONG TIME to get this.

For goodness sake - talk to your SW about it. It makes perfect sense, and will get to the root of your real fears...she'll appreciate it!
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

That makes a lot of sense, actually. I was a Navy brat, and had to change schools a few times growing up. I remember, before the start of EVERY school year, I would get incredibly anxious, and be literally terrified about going back to school. I would have symptoms of what I now recognize as anxiety attacks, but I honestly don't know what I was so afraid of. The emet was there, as always, but that's not what scared me so much. I would get stomachaches, but never actually got sick, and since I'm not phobic about myself getting ill, only others, I don't think that was worrying me. Unless deep down I was afraid of doing it in front of others? Possibly, but this has now got me wondering what started this whole mess.

It was obviously some sort of social phobia I had back then, which I think I have to a degree now as an adult, but I don't know what triggered it.

Wow, now you've got me sitting here analyzing myself, lol.
    So take a deep breath and count back from ten, and maybe you\'ll be all right.

-Liz Phair

thankyou so much for ur replies..

seeing social worker 2morro, wil talk it out with her...

thankyou again, its really helped hearing ur responses.

Jen xxxxxxxx
    Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn\'t be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn\'t know that so it goes on flying anyway.

MSN:

Hey Jen how did it go??

I wanted to let you know I have social anxiety as well...going anywhere where there will be a group of people..specialy people I dont know..scares the hell out of me...I cant really go to parties because Im to scared..i hate meeting new people (which hurts me because I dont have any friends but really want to make some)..im scared to death that I will make a fool out of myself..that theywont like me..or something about me.

I can go shopping..and out to eat (most of the time)..but give me a group of unfamiliar people (and some times even those closest to me) and I get scared to death!!

You are not alone! let us know how it went!!
    And now I\'m glad I didn\'t know
    The way it all would end the way it all would go
    Our lives are better left to chance I could have missed the pain
    But I\'d of had to miss the dance
    Garth Brooks

heya it went fine, basically, what sage said is what we spoke about.

i think shes finally realised its quite a big problem actually, cos its not only emet stopping me going out, its social phobia too. i really hate it, cos it tkes me half an hour to psyche myself up to leave the house to go and get a bloomin' doctors appointment!! thats not normal!! Lol. and phones, BIG nono.

anyway, i also went to the doc's and shes finally tken note of my weight, so, really, im happy all round today. feeling lke im getting sumwhere.

Jen xxxxxxxx

MSN:

YES!! im SOOO Happy for you!!! Sounds like you are heading in the right dirrection!
    And now I\'m glad I didn\'t know
    The way it all would end the way it all would go
    Our lives are better left to chance I could have missed the pain
    But I\'d of had to miss the dance
    Garth Brooks

I'm happy you're getting some help with this!! And I wanted to thank you guys for making me realize that I'm not the only one who fears the seemingly easy day to day things like going out, going to the store, etc. I'm glad sometimes I work from home, so I really don't have to go out very often, but then again, I guess that's not really helping my anxiety. [img]smileys/smilies_02.gif[/img]
    So take a deep breath and count back from ten, and maybe you\'ll be all right.

-Liz Phair