Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default What a relief...

I just started therapy today and was told that I am in fact NOT ridiculous and that emetophobia is an honest to horriblness phobia. I just thought I was being unreasonable when I cant help but plug my ears and sing, curl up in a ball, squeeze my eyes closed, and run away from my own children! I know almost everyone around me thinks I'm crazy. I love my kids though especially, my oldest is basically used to the fact that I won't be near him when he's stomach sick. But anyways... here are my dilemmas:

*above mentioned child is a picky eater. He will make himself gag...
    *I do run from my own children when they are sick. It makes me feel horrible. They however, are troopers.
    *Their father is good with it, and I have learned to accept cleaning it... but ONLY my children's.
    * Above mentioned baby daddy and I are breaking up...hence leaving me alone with my kids during the up coming flu season (I feel so selfish to even think this way)
    *I am going to school to be a nurse. I have worked in direct care for 10 years and I have had my share of incidents, but usually I am very lucky. I have had great coworkers and I can handle diarrhea like a champ. (Gross I know, but that's the trade off and for me it's worth it)
    *I love what I do. I love working with people and working in health care, and to get to what I really want to be in life I need to GET OVER THIS.

I am starting treatment ASAP. Something called EDMR? EMDR? Anyways, that is in the process of being worked out.

As far as myself, I can pretty much hold myself pretty well. I will avoid it at all costs. I have found that mental talk, sipping small amounts of water and relaxation breathing help me not do it. It's rare for me to do it, but I'm scared all the time it will happen. Especially in public or in class. I always make sure I know where the nearest exit is or bathroom. Doing it in public=my greatest fear.

Default Re: What a relief...

welcome to the forum..... glad you found a doctor that actually knows how to deal with the phobia......i've not found one yet. i do take prozac which helps with that constant obsessing about v.........

it's amazing that you are able to be a nurse......i have trouble even visiting a hospital........good for you.......also on being able to have children......never did that either......

i'm sure you will be fine with your kids and they seem to sort of know whats going on and help you out......

hopefully your treatment will get you the rest of the way there good luck
    how i feel about emet
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I want to be a nurse too and I am afraid that this stupid phobia is going to limit me. I'm going to look it straight in the face though because being a nurse is worth it to me. I want to start therapy for this too! What ways did they say they're going to treat you?

Ive been doing EMDR for about a month...it takes time and patience...but it is helpful! Good luck on your therapy and everything else! =]
    "This too shall pass"

what is this EMDR??