Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default "overcome Emetophobia" iphone App

Hi

Just wondered if anyone had downloaded the app "overcome emetophobia" by Joseph Clough available on the iphone/ipod touch from the app store and whether it was any good???

Default Re: "overcome Emetophobia" iphone App

He's another one who claims to be able to cure everything. I hope it's a free app.
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Nope, but its cheaper than a hypnotherapist!

I don't know anything about the app, but here is a video about his phobia hypnosis:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0-u8bDtWG8 (Video is safe, has nothing to do with emet or V, just mice and snakes)

Impressions:
    At first, I thought he was a complete ass by bringing the mouse out. BUT when he brought out the snake, I understood a little more clearly. The person was given the chance to say no, and they could ask him to take the snake/mouse away at any time. I think if when he asked "Just to gauge your reaction, I'm going to show you some V" the person freaked out visibly and screamed no (as many of us would) he wouldn't even bring it out, as he would already see how it affects us. These two people treated in the video have fears that are a bit more mild than many emets.

Now, this is how he works with people in person. I have no idea if the emet track is worthwhile or not, though if I was still suffering from severe emetophobia I would definitely give it a go. I have had amazing luck with hypnotherapy, it brought me to the point I'm at today in only 3 weeks. 3 weeks is all it took for me to rid myself of nightly panic attacks and the fear of eating out to being able to get through a full on SV without even crying.

If you go for it, let us know how he works! I may download it just to give it a listen and a better review, but with my phobia not being as bad as it was (it's still there though) I'm not sure how it would be.
    Last edited by asianeko; 08-12-2010 at 04:12 PM.

You may find these links helpful!

Very interesting platform to try and give emet help... I'm skeptical would be curious to hear from someone who has used it

I'm really toying with the idea of buying it. It's 4.99 though which is more than apps I generally buy. I'm more than willing to get it to let everyone here know how it works. My only concern is that I won't be a good gauge. My emetophobia is so much milder than many others' here. However, I am still nervous about seeing it, but I've been okay with hearing it. If you think it would help you guys get an idea of how it works I'll pick it up.

I have been listening to this app for 3 days, he says you need to listen to it for at least 4 weeks.

Not sure if it is working although I went to hungry jacks today, had an aussie burger and for the first time in years was not worried about the egg I was eating in it. Usually I take it out as eggs are my big thing but this time not even worried in the slightest about it

I bought the app a while back, I figured it was worth a try because it's way cheaper than going to see someone, even if you saw someone for free you would have the transport costs. My problem was finding time to listen to it, it's about an hour I think and you need to be in a relaxed state so not while you're doing anything else. I was listening to it in bed (he says it's OK if you fall asleep), but I couldn't sleep with it on and I was too tired from taking an hour out of sleeping time! I have kept it though, because I go through phases where if there's a bad incident, I relive it and can't sleep properly for weeks, so I would use it then.

I did buy the app a while ago, just never wrote the review on it! I think it's helpful in calming oneself down when you're nervous, or pre-panic attack. I find it difficult to sleep to as he used editing effects to make it sound like there is two of him, one as the main speaker and one as almost an afterthought, softer voice. It also alternates ears. I find that really distracting.

I have found for sleep aids (if you get anxiety at night time) Andrew Johnson's Deep Sleep is AMAZING! I fall asleep within minutes and always wake up fully rested, even if it's just from a few hours. Johnson doesn't have any emet specific apps, however I found Relax, Deep Sleep, and Social Phobia to be extremely helpful at my lowest points of Emet. Since then, I've also used Lose Weight and Healing, which have been super awesome as well!

This is what makes emetophobia so tricky to treat. With snakes and mice, you can bring the phobic object out. With emetophobia, you can't. Yes, you can bring some "vomit" out (and this is part of what may help someone) but the biggest trigger for the emetophobe's phobia is inside themselves. It's not an outside object. It's a bodily sensation. You can't bring that on (well, not in a way most emetophobes would agree to, that's for sure). Also, the mouse can stay near/with the person until their anxiety goes down. With emetophobia, you can't "stay vomiting" until your anxiety goes down. It's just not the same.

These internet quick-fix people just don't get it (or they don't care; they just take your money). That's why I like Rich's (this website owner/admin) Emetophobia Recovery System. Is it a "cure?" No. But it's on the right track. If your emetophobia is severe, you have to work tirelessly, over a long period of time, to change the way you think about vomiting, and about your own anxiety. Having said that, if this guys's saying you have to listen to his tape every day for 4 weeks, that is more like what I'm talking about. 30 hours of listening to it, and your thoughts about it as well as your anxiety are probably going to change. I have guided-imagery relaxation tapes that I give my clients and I suggest they listen to them (or any tape/program/class that works on slow and deep breathing) 90 times. Every day for 3 months; 3X/day for 1 month; however they like.) Overcoming emetophobia is a long haul. But so worth it!
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.