Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default How do you combat this curse?

Besides drugs and the online "cures," does anyone have any suggestions? Back in May I tried the Zone Diet - not to lose wait - but to create the correct chemical balance inside of me. I ate 6-7 small meals a day, each about 500 calories - 30% protein, 40% carbs, and 40% fat. I was able to do this for five days straight - was largely symptom free - but then broke the diet by missing a meal due to work - this made me very hungry (for a change) so I ate a sub and fries. Then the damn curse came back a couple hours later and I had to fast for like 14 hours bcuz I was afraid I might V*. and no the food didnt upset my stomach - It was just that dam FEAR and the anxiey that comes with it. Those were my best 5 days in years. I'm gonna try it again. I also worked out at the gym each day. Working out seems to always help - its a natural stress reliever and usually increases my appetite - plus it helps convince me it is okay to eat.
    Last edited by damean29; 08-20-2010 at 10:45 PM.

Default Re: How do you combat this curse?

I tend to go in a route many people don't when it comes to controlling my emet. So far, it has been surprisingly effective. I learned the Relaxing Breathing Pattern (link in my signature) to help keep control of myself if I feel a panic attack coming on.

I also use hypnotherapy when I fall asleep. It helps a ton, even if it's not an emet track! I usually fall asleep to Andrew Johnson's Relax, or Deep Sleep iPhone apps. They also come in MP3 format if you are interested, and he has a Social Anxiety track which may help some emets who are nervous about leaving the house. I was only that bad for a few days, but I still have the track and love it. Recently I got Joseph Clough's "Overcome Emetophobia" which has helped me out of one rough night already.

When I feel N, I mentally challenge myself. I think of foods I love to eat, the kind that are sooo bad for you that you'd NEVER eat them when ill. Things like greasy cheeseburgers and big cheesecake slices. If I can think of them without discomfort and pure disgust, I know it's anxiety and I relax since I know I'm not really ill. However, if the thought DOES disgust me or make me feel worse, that still isn't a promise that I'll be S.

I also reassure myself out loud. I say things like "I'm totally good, it's just anxiety!" or "Man, my stomach hurts but I know I won't be sick!" Hearing these things really helps me a lot. My boyfriend also tells me these sorts of things, "Honey, you know it's just anxiety. I know you'll be fine!" Having another person verbally encourage you helps a ton.

I've also found lightly running my fingertips over my abdomen helps. It sort of reinforces the fact that real N is way higher up near my ribs, nowhere near my belly button. It also helps if it's anything like gas making me feel ill.

I'm not quite sure if these are the sort of answers you were looking for... if not I hope somebody else comes along with more wisdom!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

You may find these links helpful!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Default Re: How do you combat this curse?

thank you for you suggestions and i wll definitely try some of them. thanks again