Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: Claustrophobic?

Default Claustrophobic?

Hi, I'm Lauren.
    I'm 17 and have been dealing with emet since I was 6, but it got severely bad when I tured 13. I'm home alone right now cause I was too afraid to go to school. It's been this way for years. I haven't been able to go to school cause I'm scared I'll get sick. Last year I had a classroom with a window and this helped me cause it made me feel like if I had got sick I could go outside in my own privacy. Now, this year I don't have a room with a window and I just feel extremely panicky and claustrophobic cause I feel as if I do start feeling bad, anxious, or sick that I won't be able to get out quickly. Does anyone else have this issue?

Also when I start to have bad anxiety, it seems to make me feel better if I scratch my leg or pull my hair a little bit. As if it distracts my mind of something, anyone else? I'm doing a lot better than I have been, but I've been kinda in a plateau these past few months. I've been doing therapy for about 2 years and hoping we can up the sessions. I'm also take BuSpar, anyone else taking this? The side effects (dizziness, headaches) are not helping with the anxiety either!

Default Re: Claustrophobic?

I do suffer from claustrophobia in addition to my emetophobia.

Fortunately, I can avoid tight places, but not the v*. I understand completely where you're coming from, though.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My claustrophobia is very mild, and only when I'm having a panic that is emet related.

Another good distraction is cuteoverload.com It may save your skin and hair a bit!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

You may find these links helpful!

I had the same issue as you in high school and through college... However I did manage to get a masters degree and attend on a regular basis. I don't know if this can help you but i had sevral coping strategies for my anxiety while in class.
    I am not sying this is good to do but it can help till you get to feeling better and thinking less and less about it.
    I always sat close to the door; quick escape just in case
    I always had a small fresh bottle of water with me to sip, this slowly helps me reconcentrate on breathing normally
    In some cases if I was doing real bad i would tell the teacher that i had on going stomach problems and sometimes had to leave to take mediaction or go the bathroom...just because i an not quit sure they would grasp the whole emet thing...
    Most teachers will be nice about it and the simple fact of knowing that you can get up and leave can make you feel more at ease.
    I eat ginger candy and have a tissue with menthol scented oil that i discretly breathe into also...
    hope this helps a bit!!! dont give up maybe you can also ask your doctor for another anti anxiety, see if something works better for you it can really help.

I totally understand where your coming from, i have exactly the same thing and I'm often off school just like you are, so don't stress about it, it will only make things worse. I spoke to my teacher about missing so much and she said as long as i work hard as often as i can i'll be fine, so I'm sure the same applies to you, no need to get worked up on that front You can always get a tutor to give you as crash course as i did and they will get you up to speed with anything you miss.

I also scratch although for me its my collar bone, and pull my hair (and pick my nails, which i am trying hard to stop). I echo Ocanlove's advice, see if you can sit next to the door as it is really a big help. Also it is understandable that you might not want to tell your teachers about being emet but maybe you should tell them about the claustrophobia. I have come to find people, particularly teachers understand claustrophobia more.

Plateauing is normal, so try not to panic about that, it will get better, it sounds like your doing better than you were, so try and remember that when you can.

Another thing i do is tap my toe on the floor/my ankle whatever and count the taps as i do so, it helps me focus on something and you can do it while looking at the front of the class so it doesn't look like your distracting yourself. Also, and i don't know if your allowed nail polish at your school, but i paint my nails in a very faint pick nail polish the night before school and then i can scratch it off in class when i need a distraction. Maybe if you know in advance you can do something like that it will help you begin the class in a positive way

As I said I am exactly the same and its a nightmare i know. If you want to talk anymore about missing school in particular I have put my AIM up or you can PM me. Good Luck!!

Quote Originally Posted by jubjub15 View Post
    I have put my AIM up or you can PM me. Good Luck!!

Sorry to double post, i forgot to put my AIM in the message, its xXxLydiaRosexXx

I too suffer from mild Clastriphobia, but I have never V*ed in a small space, I have only found i very hard to breathe and get all sweaty. (lol). Maybe you could tell the teacher you are with about your problem, and they might help you with this. By the way, what do you mean that "You feel like you have got sick, you can have privacy". What do you mean by "Have got sick". Drink lotsa water! Hang in there baby! oh, and do you perents really let you stay home from school about it. I'm never allowed! Also not to be annoying, but how do you post new threads??? I DONT KNOW and it's annoying the crap outta me .
    Last edited by bluebirdee15; 09-10-2010 at 07:50 PM. Reason: Mistakes with spelling, added question.

Quote Originally Posted by bluebirdee15 View Post
    I too suffer from mild Clastriphobia, but I have never V*ed in a small space, I have only found i very hard to breathe and get all sweaty. (lol). Maybe you could tell the teacher you are with about your problem, and they might help you with this. By the way, what do you mean that "You feel like you have got sick, you can have privacy". What do you mean by "Have got sick". Drink lotsa water! Hang in there baby! oh, and do you perents really let you stay home from school about it. I'm never allowed! Also not to be annoying, but how do you post new threads??? I DONT KNOW and it's annoying the crap outta me .
    Yes, my parents are very understanding and since I've been dealing with it for so long they know that if I'm staying home it's REALLY bad and it's not just because I don't want to go. (:

Quote Originally Posted by lauren1093 View Post
    Yes, my parents are very understanding and since I've been dealing with it for so long they know that if I'm staying home it's REALLY bad and it's not just because I don't want to go. (:
    Oh and sorry for DP but, I don't mean "have got sick" I meant that if I ever feel like I'm going to get sick I don't want to be in the middle of the class because I want to leave quickly and do it in my own privacy. Pretty much meaning I ALWAYS sit by the door!