Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: Hey, I'm new!

Default Hey, I'm new!

Unfortunately, I've been fighting a tummy bug all week and woke up w/ lower issues this morning, which lead me to being bored on the internet, and then here. I got a little queasy, but fought it away.

But I gotta say, it feels a little like home. LOL. I don't remember being scared of throwing up as a little kid, I think it started in middle school, around the same time I started having panic attacks. EVERY day, I was terrified of getting sick in class. Doesn't help that feeling sick is one of my symptoms. I never fear dying or heart attacks. Just being sick! It never happened, but I was in the nurses office every day anyway. She even began giving me plastic bags to carry around in my backpack - and I still do that! If I'm having a 'bad' day, I'll sneak one into my purse, and there's ALWAYS some in my car!

It was worst through high school, I avoided travelling, rollercoasters, drinking, sleepovers, going out, etc. I've gotten better. I have as-needed pills I take that stop my anxiety attacks (and therefore the associated sick feelings), called Tranxene. I don't want to go on anything daily, as most of them list nausea as a side effect! Derp!

I worked in daycare for a long time, and had a baby cousin with severe reflux, so being around that helped a lot. I'm okay with spit up, and as long as it's not something contagious. I can handle TV and movies, etc. I can handle someone being drunk and sick, but I never drink, and if it's the flu, I BOLT. All of the partners I had in daycare knew that if a kid got SICK sick, *I* was the one to go to the office to call mom. LOL. I've moved on to being an orthodontic assistant, and I am AWESOME at keeping food in tummies during impressions.

I've gotten mostly better. I still avoid anything that will turn me upside down, and I don't drink alcohol much. Usually, I stop at 1(Very light) drink if I do. Sometimes my obsessing annoys my boyfriend, but he deals. If I have to get on an airplane I'll take motion sickness meds and ask for a window seat because it helps to 'see' the movement.

Anyway, it's good to know I'm not alone, at at least within the confines of these silliness, I'm 'normal'.

Default Re: Hey, I'm new!

Welcome to the board!

Nausea is one of my main symptoms as well. I used to feel it everyday, now it's every other day. It sucks!

That's so true. Getting over it as much as I have was soooo hard, but I'm proud of how far I've come! I don't think I'll ever be okay with myself getting sick. But at least I've stopped getting the shakes if a kid gags while I'm taking an impression at work.

welcome to the forum......you sound alot like me......i can deal with alot of v related things.......unless it's a sv...then i'm outta there and pretty much in hibernation for a while.

we had a discussion in here a couple weeks ago about getting dental impressions......you should have been here......i'm one of those people with really bad gag reflexes and hate getting impressions......they do make me gag.....but not v...........tongue deprssors arent' much better....lol

nice to meet you
    how i feel about emet
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Lean forward, put your chin to your chest and breathe through your nose.

Just wanted to say welcome and you are among friends =)