Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: Cbt

Default Cbt

So, I'm starting CBT on Friday, and I was wondering what to expect. The woman I'm seeing is the person that my family doctor refers most people with phobias to. They seem to have a high opinion of her, so I'm looking forward to the appointment.

I'm expecting my first appointment to be about getting to know me, and my phobia, but I was wondering how the CBT will work for me, being that I'm not afraid of me v*ing, just other people. I can't think of what I might have to do. Any insight would be awesome :-)

Default Re: Cbt

I have my first CBT appt tomorrow - I'll let you know how it goes and what to expect!

I have a thread that I'm writing up my CBT experience. So far I've been to two sessions. It's called "My CBT journey" and it's in Treatments.

CBT is such a common therapy method that almost every therapist is trained in it. Within the CBT "family" there are many different ways to structure the treatment. It will all depend on your therapist, how much they know about emetophobia, and what their beliefs are about exposure therapy. I would ask about all of the above. Your first appointment will normally be a "get to know you" session, or as we call it in the biz "intake" or "presentation." After that, it varies a lot. But remember that you are in the driver's seat. It's your treatment, your hour, your money. So you're in charge. Don't ever agree to something you don't want to do.

As for only being afraid of others, that's the easiest form of emetophobia to treat. I suffered from that as well, in later years particularly. Your therapist will probably want you to make a "hierarchy of fears" - a list of what you fear least, all the way up to worst. Then they start with the least feared thing and work on desensitizing you to it. That's the "behavior" or "B" part of CBT. Some CBT therapists are more about the "C" which is "cognitive." They want to change your thought patterns, or the way you think about the phobia. Some people on here have experienced frustration with CBT when it gets geared too much to thoughts and they're not "doing" anything. So again, you're in the driver's seat!

Good luck!
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thank you all so much!

Elski - I hope it goes well for you. Good luck.

And Sage, thank you for putting so much detail in. I'm a little calmer now about the whole idea of seeing yet another someone who's meant to be able to help me out of this phobia.