Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Sorry about the confusing title lol. Anyhow, I wanted to ask those of you who are or have both worked and gone to school at the same timea question. Now I've done it before but was only taking 2 classes and had been at my job for quite some time so they were very flexable w/ me. Anyhow, i have an interview to be a waitress today(in an hour and half actually) and tho I am off of school this week, I start up again on monday. So my point here is, I really need/want a job. But I also really want/need school and to do well at both. I am going to take 3 classes this time (as I did last time, I was going to take 4 this time but ti's a long boring story) anyhow, I worry about "doing too much" both for anxiety reasons and health reasons. Like what if I can't do it? What if I weaken my immune system or get sick or whatever. The of course acedemically. I currently have a 4.0 GPA and would like to maintaint hat throughout my college career. So i guess my question (finally) is how do you balance it? I really want both. I have no "life" lol so it's not like being busy will interfer w/ my packed social schedule. Thsi sounds more and more stupid thoe more I write so I will stop now. Thanks for any advice and for reading this insane post lol.
    \"As soon as you trust yourself,you will know how to live.\"
    Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
    \"Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight.\"
    Benjamin Franklin

That's a good question. Wish I had an answer. I tried to do both, and I couldn't. Sorry I wasn't any help. LOL

As far as having no "life"...sounds like you have more of one than I do. I live with my parents right now and write furiously most of the day, hoping some day soon to get published. Right now, I don't feel I can handle a regular job. I wonder if I ever will be able to. Besides writing, I have my boyfriend who lives a little bit far away so we don't get to see each other that often because of that and also cos he's a social phobic. Such a great guy, though! [img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img]But that's it as far as a life goes. Maybe that will make YOU feel better. LOL

It\'s all right to have butterflies in your stomach. Just get them to fly in formation.

hey SimpleMe - good to see u back! hope uve been ok since we last spoke!

well - when i was 16 i used to work at sainsburys - a supermarket. i only worked 8 hours at the weekend so it wasnt too much and i cld still do well at school. only in the summer holidays did i work 12 hours at sainsburys and then the eve as a waitress - it killed me but was worth the dosh for uni!

you wont run urself down if u constantly keep a check. just make sure that u know what hours they expect you to do and make it clear that u wont be working full time due to education commitments...

good luck at the interview...

ems xx

Hey Simply!

I did both during college, because I couldn't afford not to work, although the farther in school I got, the more my parents helped out and the less I worked (it got to be only 10 hours per week that I worked, and that was enough!!). I just couldn't work the amount of hours to support myself and keep my grades up.To answer your question though, and I'm kind of embarrassed, but I think alot of people do it more and more, Irelied on student loans... [img]smileys/smilies_12.gif[/img]I requested the maximum amount of money each semester, which was actually I think $5500 my last years of school, so that helped me get through, and we did that when my husband was in school too, that extra money helped when we only had one income. You pay for it later, but I don't know how else people do it. Your health is important to remember, because there is alot of stress associated with school so you're smart in thinking about what's best. College was tough... I really like being done, lol! Probably not the best answer, but it's what I did. Congrats on having a 4.0! I could only dream of that!!!
    In memory of the sweetest german shepherd I ever had the pleasure of knowing. I love you, Duncan. 3/12/02 - 12/19/11

Thanks so much you guys!

Sweetfreak, you do have more of a life than I do lol. I worry about not being able to have a "real job" too so I can totally relate to that. It sucks but I think we're all stronger than we give ourselves credit for.

Emma, they know I'm in schoola nd they know I want part time so that will definitely remain that way or I won't stay lol.

Jo, I did get a pell grant for this semester and the one coming soon. I havent' worked since I moved here and it's making me feel bad lol I guess if it doesn't work I can quit. And I know that people do both, I still worry. So thanks guys for letting me know I'm "sane" for wondering lol. I'm still int he very beginning so I'm thinking (Hoping) that it will stay kind of smooth. I know when I get further on it will get harder and I probably will need tons of loans. Thanks again for all your help!
    \"Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight.\"
    Benjamin Franklin

Balancing your load depends on how well you do school work. I am an
    extremely fast worker so Ive never had a problem, but my boyfriend has
    that ADD or whatever, he needs to take medication to concentrate and
    even then he takes forever to get stuff done. So he took two classes
    last semester + 20 or more hours of work a week and he struggled big
    time with school. If you are just waitressing a few hours a day though
    I dont see why not. In his case he was getting up at 330 AM every day
    working till 10 or 12 so that was kind of extreme. My suggestion for
    keeping a job while having school is leave your nights and weekends
    open, that is when retail and restaurants need workers.

Thanks Chibi! Your boyfriends schedule does sound extreme! Geez! I dont' know how anyone could manage that. I tend to do things fast, like you, so maybe it won't be so bad. It's worth trying right?

BTW I had the interview today and it went well and I have another tomorrow w/ them so hopefully...!!!
    Benjamin Franklin