Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Hybrid View

Default Re: Nissen Fundoplication surgery!

I really agree with David on this one.

Risking the dangers of surgery, (let's not pass by this one, there is always risks) because of fearing a natural body function? I don't think this is wise and I would question the ethics of any doctor willing to perform the surgery on you for the reason of a phobia, no matter how severe!

I'm so sorry, sweetie, I don't mean to underplay how severe your phobia may be. I don't mean to minimize your intense fear, I know how intense it is, I'm emet too. But the problem is not the vomiting. The problem is the little quirk in our minds that tells us to fear vomiting.

It just is not right to start altering the way our bodies work simply because we are uncomfortable with the way it works. Our bodies are wonderful and work amazingly well! And our digestive systems are awesome. And very sensitive.

I don't know the real reason the surgery is done. I'm sure that it is for a disorder that makes the surgery and it's benefits outweigh any of the drawbacks. I've never even heard of it, frankly.

Anyway, just my two cents.
    Last edited by MelP; 12-21-2010 at 12:55 AM.