Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Nissen Fundoplication surgery!

This has clearly become a touchy topic... WOW!
    I agree with the people hinting towards diet. I too am a horrific sufferer of heartburn and reflux, since I was a kid (I remember getting called a hypocondriac by my family!) but as an adult I have found some AWESOME ways to help it.
    Yes you can do the normal stuff like avoid spicy food, alcohol, stress etc (life items essentially), but the cool goodies I have found over my years are:
    Hot water bottle on your tummy, sounds childish but works SO good for "burning" the pain away.
    NEVER eat late or a big meal, grazing bird like is really helpful.
    Cut the salt, fat and sugar, essentially eat super fresh and healthy.
    Take probiotics.
    Ginger tablets.
    Slippery elm, this is totally gross as a powder but you can take it in tablet form, it works SO good, I took heaps of it during my pregnancy.

Hope these tips help all sufferers!

I have to disagree here. I feel like this surgery would help CERTAIN emets...like myself for example. My particular case is REALLY severe, to the point that I am completely unable to function in society. I am unable to have a job or finish my degree. I spent 99% of my time, in my room. I even hold in my BM's and pee's as long as possible because using the same bathroom that my room mates use, scares me. However...I am NOT afraid of ALL forms of Ving. For example, during my first year of university, I spent 60-70% of the time, intoxicated. I HAVE v*ted numerous times due to alcohol consumption, that, doesn't bother me in the least. I can even help someone else out who is ill due to alcohol or food poisoning. However, my phobia is completely based upon the Norwalk virus. I fear the severity of that particular situation. I've read some horror stories about being bound to the bathroom for 48 hours, v*ing uncontrollably. THAT scares me to the point that I would truly and honestly rather die. If given the choice between that and death, I'd most definitely choose death. I have almost taken my own life in the past due to this. So, deep down, I truly feel that a surgery such as this would completely allow me to function in public. Why? Because I will know that even if I do catch it, I won't v*. The other symptoms, I can handle. The ONLY anxiety I get regarding my phobia, is around the thought of catching Noro (due to the severity and how fast it happens.)

I DO agree that those who suffer from different forms of emet probably wouldn't benefit from this surgery, but not ALL emets have strictly anxiety about JUST v*ing. Each and every case is different.

Now, in saying this, I will say that my doctor has said that he will consider the surgery for me as I am completely unable to function in the world. It has crippled me. However, he is giving me an injection form of an anti-emetic drug first, to see if that helps my quality of life.

Go back and read what Sage said earlier. I don't see why any responsible doctor would even THINK about considering this surgery for someone to fix anxiety.
    Come visit my history blog:
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I'm trying to stay at arm's length from the controversy going on here, but I had never heard of this surgery, so I looked it up on Wikipedia, which had this to say:

"Vomiting is often difficult or even impossible with a fundoplication. In some cases, the purpose of this operation is to correct excessive vomiting. However, when its purpose is to reduce gastric reflux, difficulty in vomiting may be an undesired outcome. Initially, vomiting is impossible; however, small amounts of vomit may be produced after the wrap settles over time, and in extreme cases such as alcohol poisoning or food poisoning, the patient may be able to vomit freely."

That last sentence makes me think that noro would surely qualify as "extreme," but hey, I'm no doctor. I'll stick to my anti-anxiety/anti-nausea meds if I need them. Of course, I haven't got severe reflux, so that's just me.

To those of you who are considering having this surgery: I hope that if you end up getting it, it safely accomplishes what you want it to accomplish. I also hope that it is medically necessary and appropriate. Only a doctor can determine that, and hopefully with consultation to the appropriate literature.

ive suffered from bad acid reflux "gerd" for about 8 years now and i refuse to get that surgery done, ive heard horror stories.

I would definately have this sort of surgery but for the after effects, which are that you can`t burp afterwards so that any gas in your stomach would only be able to take the southern route, & you`d be breaking wind all the time, & you`d have to stay away from sodas & other fizzy stuff because they`d make you very bloated & uncomfortable. Having said that, I don`t hold with the idea that our bodies are marvellous pieces of work, I honestly think that they are a complete evolutionary disaster, & if I could redisign the things I would!

I doubt if the OP can't even afford insurance that she'd be able to afford this surgery anyway, so it seems the point was as moot then as it is now, right?

Getting Laparoscopic Nissan Fundoplication surgery was one of the best decisions of my life. Presently, I am 15 years post-operative. During this time, I have not had any heartburn or acid reflex and can eat or drink anything at any time of day. I can "belch" and I can "vomit."

From about 5 months post-operative and forward in time, I have had no difficulty in swallowing food as long as I chew thoroughly and include a drink with my meals to lubricate the esophagus. The esophagus is an elastic and muscular "sock" that can stretch to accommodate the passage of food - except at the area where the "fundo wrap" surrounds it. In my case, food eaten too fast and not properly chewed will occasionally "hang up" here and require a liquid drink to flush the food into my stomach. I will also mention that throughout the first 18 months after surgery, I had several "spasmodic attacks" (lasting about two minutes in duration) in my chest area that mimicked a heart attack. These sudden and painful attacks were caused by large esophageal muscle spasms. When my stomach was completely empty of food, it contracted and initiated these esophageal muscle spasms. As long as I kept food in my stomach, this problem did not occur. As I mentioned, after 18 months, this problem went away, permanently. These minor inconveniences are hardly worth mentioning in lieu of the long lasting and fantastic results I have received from the surgery.

I believe there are two key components for a great outcome - which I will define as a once and for all time "cure" to GERD. These are: 1.) selection of the excellent candidate for the procedure; and 2.) selection of a highly qualified and experienced laparoscopic surgeon with a good record of successes.

Not all individuals with GERD are good candidates for the Nissan procedure. According to many research studies that have been completed, those individuals who cannot properly be treated with medications have the lowest success rates for Nissan surgery .Additionally, individuals who have had a chronic problem with a large hiatal hernia are typically not good candidates for Nissan surgery. I was fortunate that my reason for Nissan surgery was to avoid a life-time dependency on expensive medications.

Life is a crap shoot and so is Nissan Surgery. Those who want to roll the dice should remember that the procedure is not easily "overcome" if it fails. During the surgery, the spleen is separated from the stomach. Other permanent dissections take place as well. Your body anatomy will be forever "changed" during the surgery. A Nissan Fundo can be re-done but never removed.

My advice: get the best odds of success by getting the best surgeon and making sure that you are a good candidate.

I have had severe acid reflux when I was younger (I still don't know the cause, it was not H. pylori in my case). I used to take lots of antacids, proton-pump inhibitors, etc... It worked somewhat to control the symptoms, but it wasn't a cure either. You know what actually made a difference? Changing my diet, working out, and trying relaxation techniques (yoga, meditation). You probably don't need surgery even if it is really bad, what you need is to start taking some medication to calm your stomach and give it a chance to heal, then start making lifestyle changes. And once you make those changes and stick to them, you can drop the meds and you'll feel better than you have in years. Hell, I used to have a bottle full of maalox or pepto with me at all times, and I literally drank the stuff. Now I don't even think about it, sometimes I get a bit of reflux if I overdo the coffee or alcohol but that's about it.

It really won't cure the anxiety and fear, because even taking anti-emetics doesn't totally work for that. You take them, and then you go "Oh God, I'm still nauseous, this is IT, the time when they don't work, where I will be sick anyway". As for those who fear noro, this won't help either. I read SO much about the mechanisms behind vomiting and what systems are involved and which parts of the brain are activated, and the truth is... nothing will really work against something like noro. Current antiemetics can block some of the mechanisms involved, but not all. There's a few triggers of vomiting that will not be covered by medication, so there's always a risk. Even in the case of surgery, there is still a chance of vomiting in case of noro. And it's that chance that will drive you mad. The best thing is to get cognitive therapy to control the fear and wash your hands often. It's the only way to really avoid it, and it's as efficient in avoiding vomiting from noro as surgery.
    Last edited by AoD; 11-10-2012 at 10:18 AM.

@AoD: yes, a thousand times yes.

Hi there,

I’ve had the fundo since I was a baby and as a child who got bugs I have only actually been sick once when I was really unwell. It depends on the situation though but for me it was pretty much 100%.

I hope that helps