Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.
    Kristamayla Guest

Default People at work sick !

I just started a new job and last Thursday was my first day. I spent most of that day with my boss and she ended up calling out of work Friday because she was up all night v*ing and having d*. She says it was definitely a stomach virus because many people have had it this season. I am so nervous because I was around her all that day. Everyone here ate snacks around the office and I am pretty sure I was good about washing my hands. Also, if I am eating something with my hands then I tend to only eat the area that I haven't touched. My anxiety has flared up lately with starting the new job and I feel this is the last thing I neeed to hear. Then, two days later another employee called out because she was sick on her stomach. They are both feeling better now and returned to work today. I am super nervous that I will get what they had. Would I have gotten it already? I didn't feel too well this past weekend but I have a feeling it was all in my head.

Default Re: People at work sick !

I hope i can help you out a little. If she had an SV she wouldn't be contagious until the symptoms showed up so being around her a couple days before would leave you in the clear just keep washing your hands and keep them away from your face. I also to do same thing when it comes to eating with your hands, i'll eat around where i touched the food, even if i scrubbed my hands prior to eating.

Now for part 2. I know for a fact that 90% of the time when people call out of work they really aren't sick, they just want a day off. I have done this many times myself, but i never said i was sick for fear of jinxing myself. at my last job the boss would always tell us when someone called out sick and why, but the next day when they came back you would always here that they didn't come in cause they were at a party or went out shopping all day etc.

Kristamayla Guest

Well, unfortunately I just came home from work because I started having d*. I feel OK though.. I am not really n* just crampy so I am hoping I just got a touch of it and now I can relax and stop worrying that I will get a bad case of it. It just kinda hit me this morning and of course I started freaking out at work thinking that I was going to v*. So, I left and came home. Naturally, when I got home I felt so much better so I started eating some cookies.. well not too long after my stomach started feeling weird and I ended up in the bathroom again. I am just going to rest and hope that it doesn't get worse .

Hey Kristamayle, I hope you are feeling better. I am at work at the moment and I just got informed that someone on the other side of the building (not my department) went home sick with an sv* (she was heard getting sick in the bathroom); no I have a slight twinge of anxiety inside. I havent been on the forum in almost a year, havent been to bad, but just hearing this news made me log on to vent...i wash my hands wherever I go and I just don't want to get anything so close to christmas!! =( what to do...what do to?! and i am big on using benzathonijm chloride hand sanitizers...ugh, nervous, for the first time in a long time; but not as nervous as i have gotten in the past...
    *Melissa*

Kristamayla Guest

Hey Melissa! I know what you mean about staying calm for a bit.. my phobia is always there BUT I typically don't have too many issues with it unless of course people around me are getting sick and it's definitely from a SV! I haven't freaked out this much in a looong time. Oh well. I am sure you will be fine.. I work at an apartment community so there are very few employees but we are in a small area.

Thanx, its funny how fine you can be until someone utters those dreaded words (sv*)!! All of a suddden I had sweaty palms and I can feel myself getting nervous. I called my doctor cuz I wanted to refill my xanax...the recording said "the office has closed early due to illness" that made me freak out even a little bit more...UUUGGGGGHH...crap
    *Melissa*

The diarrhea may be the anxiety... all the worry catching up with you. If you're as careful as you say, I don't see how you could have caught it. You'll be fine