Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Looking for advice...

My love suffers from this fear. Everyday he is plagued with fear of feeling nauseous, especially because he regularly eats cafeteria foods and has very intense rowing practices six days a week. Just under a year ago, we journeyed across the Atlantic for a holiday and we were both food poisoned. He awoke violently ill in the night; I have never before or since seen him that frightened. He was afraid to eat for the remainder of the trip, only eating "safe" prepackaged foods and trying not to let his fears ruin the trip. Even though he was smiling with me, I could see it in his face that he was truly miserable and that there was almost nothing I could do to help. I don't think either one of us has ever felt so helpless..
    Now I am afraid that if he exercises too vigorously and becomes sick, that his rowing days would end and he would regret it for the rest of his life. I want to do everything I can to help him, so I came here. If anyone has any advice, it would be greatly appreciated.

Default Re: Looking for advice...

You're really sweet for looking for advice for him on here. Your partner is lucky

As for advice, the best thing you can do for him, in my opinion is just be there for him. reassure him, be with him when he wants you to be. Also, does he see a therapist or anything for the issue? There are many different therapies which can help with it, such as hypnotherapy, CBT, and even just talking about it with a counsellor can help some people.

I hope that some others on here can give you more advice than I have. :-)

it's great that you're such a supportive partner i told my husband about my emet last year......i explained that i'm the type of emet that prefers to be alone when the anxiety hits........i don't want to talk about it.....i just need to be alone to work through it.

so i would say the most important thing is to ask him what makes him most comfortable when these situations arise......i know if i'm in a crowd of people i try to totally act normal although freaking out internally.........and usually find an excuse to leave if it doesn't subside........so ask him what makes him more comfortable.....talking through the anxiety or being alone with it.......

i know being on this forum has relieved a ton of my anxiety.....does he read posts here?
    how i feel about emet
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

It's great that you're concerned about him. Be sure to let him know that you care. Tell him you found this website and give him the address. Beyond that, it's up to him. If he decides not to come here, or do anything else to help himself then you'll have to examine how it makes you feel that he is suffering from this phobia, and try to help yourself worry about it less.

Good luck!
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.