Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: The Tribe

Gosh, did anyone see the Tribe on BBC 2 last night (UK members)? Luckily there was a warning at the beginning of the show but I still didn't quite leave the room quickly enough and managed to catch a full-on graphic scene in the opening credits. The thing was, I really like the program and I really wanted to watch it so I did but I spent the whole of the episode in a state of exreme anxiety as I waited for 'that bit' to come on and I felt really upset and shaky afterwards. I said to my boyfriend why would anyone want to put themselves through something like that, but I guess it'spart of the experience and it's the whole point behind the series - to livelike the tribe lives! Rather him than me, but it did make good TV. I'm glad I watched it coz it's a really interesting show, even if I did hide behind a cushion for most of it!

Yeah i saw that too and just had to not watch that "bit". I said that same thing I could not understand anyone wanting to put themselves thru that voluntarily wot a nightmare!!![img]smileys/smilies_03.gif[/img]

Rats - I really wanted to see that prog and forgot! However, I was very apprehensive about what they would show, as I've seen similar scenes of people taking hallucinogenic stuff before. No way in a million years would I ingest something I knew would cause v*!! But I still wanted to know what the guy experienced!

Instead I watched a prog about sufferers from Prader-Willi syndrome, where a genetic defect means they cannot stop eating. I wondered, if these pople are constantly starving hungry, does that mean they never feel sick?

Hi!

I watched the Tribe years ago when they were showing it here in Finland but haven't watched it in a long time so I'm just wondering what are you guys talking about? I mean what did somebody make themselves go through? When they were showing it here one of the girls in it had bulimia but I don't think that's what you're talking about...

Tiina

I was interested in watching that prog about Prada-Willi syndrome, there was a few programs on at the same time on Monday that I wanted to watch... I had a tough choice.

Description of the TV show with mild v* references .....

Tiina - the program in question is about a chap that has been travelling around the world and living with various tribes for a few weeks at a time. The idea is that he completely immerses(sp?) himself in their lives and lives exactly as they do. Monday's program was the first one I've watched so I can't comment on the others, but it was really interesting. He basically lived with this African tribe for a few weeks and then they decided to initiatiate him properly into the tribe. It was quite a risky thing because he had to eat loads of bark from this plant which basically was a really powerful hallucinogenic. The chap who was giving it to him had already expressed a concern that he'd never given it to a 'white' man before and he didn't know how much to give him or how he'd react. Apparently you can die if you eat too much and they were miles away even from the nearest road, let alone any medical help. Anyway, he eats loads of this stuff and within a few hours he starts v* really badly (apparently that's meant to happen as it's supposed to cleanse your body or all inpurities or whatever). It showed you everything, it was really graphic and this guy's apologising but these tribe members are all encouraging him... yuck. Then after that he starts having these hallucinations and they're very powerful and very focused on all the bad things he's ever done in his life. The idea being that you relive the experience from the other person's point of view (the person you behaved badly towards) so that you can feel remorse, etc. so this goes on for a day and then they all have a party... quite odd but very interesting, I mean these are people who have lived in the middle of the forest for their whole lives... and some of the things they do are fascinating.. but like I said, rather him than me. He was exhausted by the end of it, he'd already got d* anyway from living in the forest for 4 weeks without proper food and water, so he was putting himself at quite a high risk really.Edited by: helsbels

Hi helsbels!

Thanks for explaining that about the Tribe. I was thinking of another show that was called the Tribe. It was this fictional show from New Zealand where some kind of virus had killed all the adults from the world and the kids that were left formed tribes. I watched it when I was a teenager but when I saw it being on tv when I was visiting in the US it seemed stupid. Don't know if the quality of it had gotten worse or if it was me. But anyway...