Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Since this stupid bug, my emet has just gotten worse--as soon as I started to think I was actually getting a little better!!!
    My newest neurotic situation--my friend Amanda and her daughter caught the bug 15 days ago. Well, tonight we went over to their house and ate dinner, and I am worried that her daughter's bed (I don't know if she even had washed her sheets since they were sick, because she was sick with a sinus infection for a week after the stomach bug and is behind on her housework) and I don't think she disinfected her toys or anything--now I am worried that my girls caught it from playing in her room!!!!!!!!! SHouldn't 15 days have been enough time for the germs to go away??

Hi

I would have thought 15 dtays would have been plenty of time to get rid of any germs. Im sure a few weeks ago there was a post that said germs could live on surfaces for 3 hours.

I know how horrible emet is, my flatmate is sick now (he thinks food poisoning but im not so sure) and im terrified about the germs that may exist in my kitchen - all of my crockery is out on the surfaces at the minute cos i cleaned my cupboard earlier. I keep going in to disinfect the kitchen but everytime i do he follows me in and insists on trying to chat to me.

I will probably be the same as you, i;ll probably worry for about a month after he gets better. I just pray i dont get ill too

Hi Donna; You know what? You will be ok. I can understand what you are going through. I believe that in the back of your mind you felt that you and the kids won't catch the bug because it is over the time limit. I am pretty sure the mother washed the bedding, you would and I would. This bug isn't nice and it has been going on for awhile for you, it has consumed you. You feel better than bang you are back to square 1. This time of year is so hard on us, I hate it! I am so sure that everything will be ok. Look at what you have done with the girls, taking them out and stuff, I think you are amazing mother! Please don't worry. I am so sick and tired of worrying if my son will catch the flu from school and worse having it while he is with me and not his father. I hate this as much as you but we are lucky to have this site to go to for support that we need so much at times. Remember at Christmas the crap that I went through with my family and the flu? It consumed me so much that I litterly made myself feel ill. I want to be strong and run over this phobia head on, for it to be gone. Maybe one day I will but for now I am here for you like you are here for me. You and the kids will be fine.

Rhonda

i freaking know

as soon as you think you're ahead you fall behind again!!!!!!!!!!!!!![img]smileys/smilies_07.gif[/img]

arghhhhhhhhh i hate it!!!!

-redapple and bethany

Do what your heart tells you to-- even when your fears tell you not to.

You are alive....so live.

Donna, your not a freak....you're just like the rest of us here, consumed by a phobia. Just remember that it really is all in your head (yeah, you don't need to tell me, easier said than done...I know)

Try not to let it consume you, everyone is right....I'm sure the bug that was in their house is dead and gone now and there's nothing to worry about. Maybe an airborne head cold, but that's not that bad and doesn't lead to v*g, so try not to worry.

It's a vicious cycle with us emets, just when you think your getting better...WHAM, you hear about something and you immeadiately start back a square one. Don't beat yourself up over it, just try your hardest to try and beat the fear up instead of yourself.
    msn IM: Abbey_Normal

I would say the bug is definately dead and gone. Don't worry yourself; and you are not a freak!!! [img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]
    Spring is here!

Hey, Donna, I agree that the bug would be dead by now even on toys. And that you are NOT a freak, you're an emet and although being an emet can sometimes make you feel a bit like a freak you're not. Your'e having a rough patch and handling it VERY well and should be proud of yourself!
    \"As soon as you trust yourself,you will know how to live.\"
    Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
    \"Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight.\"
    Benjamin Franklin

Hey Donna,

I know how you feel. I was at my parent's house this weekend to finally have our Christmas. They were both sick in early December, so that's like a month and a half ago. My brother came home from college and was sick like 5 days after Christmas, so that was a month ago and I was still scared. It's almost like once someone was sick, the place is tainted. Logic tells me that the bug is gone but I know how hard it is to believe it. You're not a freak! Be proud of yourself that you went over there and ate. That's a huge triumph!
    In memory of the sweetest german shepherd I ever had the pleasure of knowing. I love you, Duncan. 3/12/02 - 12/19/11