Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: Freaking Out...

Okay, so I had been doing relatively well these last few days. Then tonight I watch the evening news, every week they do a segment on "What's going around"...keep in mind they focus on pediatricians offices...and the stomach bug is evidentally rampant here in my town. My mom's doctor said they are really only seeing it amoung children (and I have no kids and live alone)

So why am I so scared? I started freaking out and panicking almost immeadiately. I mean I know better....there are few ways to catch the stomach bug, and all of them have to do with keeping your hands clean (which I am good at) and not cleaning up after or taking care ofpeople who have it (something I REALLY don't see myself doing)

So why in the hell am I so freaked out? Just need a little reassurance to get through this so bear with me. And honestly, I know what the news says...but I haven't heard of anyone in town who's had it, around here its all sore throats and upper respiratory stuff.
    msn IM: Abbey_Normal

Wow, Ididn't know that our town is now having a stomach bug going around. Try not to worry too much over it; beings how you don't have any kids and you keep your hands clean, you will be fine! I have 5 kids, and still haven't gotten over "others vomiting" yet, so I may be in for a treat soon!

I have seen on the newsin the past, that the stomach bug was going around, but no one ever got it in my family. You will be fine...try not to worry, and just use precaution. [img]smileys/smilies_02.gif[/img] Charlotte
    Spring is here!

Thanks Char...I really hate Channel 6 sometimes....damn me for watching their 6 o'clock news.

Again, though thanks for the words of encouragement.
    msn IM: Abbey_Normal

I hate when they do this on the news, your gut starts to roll andyour brain goes into overload. YOu know the precaustions of washing your hands. Believe meit is the "Not Knowing" that gets us. Will we get it? It drives people nuts. It like me outside in the hallway spraying everythingbecause 2 families here were sick, so here is Rhonda spraying lysol on peoples door knobs, the washing and drying machine coin slots the buttons on them, walking up the stairs sparying the stair handles. Just one word about it and i am out there spraying 3 floors . I am fully stacked with anti- meds and now I am stacked with Lyso. I am a little nutty!

I am a great believer in ignorance in bliss when it comes to stomach bugs. When i dont know anything i am fine, i still take precautions, but thats all it is, making sure i wash my hands before eating, and not touching my face. However when i know something is about i disinfect everything and spend every day worrying about whether i will get it. My flatmate was ill early wednesday morning (until 4am) and although he is convinced it was food poisoning i am still a bit worried, and have been running round with my disinfectant spray, just in case, its 36 hours nearly since he last v* but im still spraying away with it, even the door bell and keyhole have been done! I stopped the uni cleaners coming in my room today because they had just been in his bathroom (we have ensuite), my bedroom is my safe space and i didnt want anyone bringing anything in.

i agree with nicki - if u dont know then uve got nothing to worry abt - altho then i think if i dont know then i cant take precautions...ohhhhh [img]smileys/smilies_06.gif[/img] too confusing.

do they really have a 'whats going around' report.....????!!!

ems x

I'm with nicki, I like being in the dark. Being obsessed with the statis of bugs only makes my anxiety shoot through the roof. The news LOVES to sensationize everything, and make things sound worse then they actually are. I also avoid the posts on here where all they are talking about it bug out breaks. Knowing they're bugs going around doesn't do you any good, it just makes you feel anxious.

Danielle