Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: Lent

I couldn't help noticing, not many of you have mentioned pancake day, which got me thinking about lent.
    I'm not overly religious, but i always make an attempt to give something up every year. This year, I am cutting out crisps *entirely* but i need something else to give up too.
    Do any of you have any idea what you may be giving up this year?? Maybe some of you are like me- not overly religious..but still fancy cutting out bad habits etc..
    would be interesting to hear from you all
    ps: this is my first new topic posted since receiving another star- yey! lol- thought i would mention that seeing as im here.

I'm not Catholic, so it's not traditional that us Lutherans "give something up". I used to when I was in school just because it was a fun thing to do to test yourself. I've heard of people giving up chocolate, soda, etc.... something that's really difficult maybe. You could also go a non-traditional way and give up watching TV or something like that.

What's pancake day?

In memory of the sweetest german shepherd I ever had the pleasure of knowing. I love you, Duncan. 3/12/02 - 12/19/11

I was raised Catholic and though I'm not someone who goes to church every Sunday, or even once a month for that matter, I, along with my other familymembers,still hold some of the church's traditions. Lent is one of them.

The hardest part for me honestly is the whole not eating meat on Fridays thing... I know that sounds pitiful and pathetic, but seriously. It's like that whole thing where you could be surrounded by plenty of deserts... ice cream, pudding, cookies and the only thing you really want is cake because it's the only thing that you can't have! I'm like that on fridays. I know I go through other days of the week occassionally where I don't eat any meat and I don't notice it at all or even really want it for that matter, but trust me when I say that by lunchtime tomorrowI will be cravingthe biggest, juiciesthamburger ever! Lol... it'sSAD!

Also... I'm not one of those people who feels like they have to"give up"something for lent, or fast, or all of thoseother things that some people do. I prefer to think of something that I can do NOT just during lent, but continuously thateither myself, or typically others will benefit from. This year I'm going to try really hard to have more fun so that not only I benefit from being a happier person, but that the peoplearoundmecan benefit as well. I think whatever we do should be something that can help make the world a little better. I don't think giving up chocolate is going to do anybody any good!

Til then... bring on the McDonald's Filet O'Fish!!!

~Rachel
    My journal

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    wink

Giving up doesn\'t always mean that we are weak. Sometimes it just means that we are strong enough to let go.
    Unknown

Buh Bye Tums! I'm going to test myself to see how long I can last! Should be tricky, but something I am GOING to do!

Hmm, that's a tough one. I'm not Catholic, (Lutheran like you, Jo [img]smileys/smilies_02.gif[/img]) but my family has usually at least attempted lol. Note the word "attempted" to give soemthng up. I'm tempted to say complaining lol but I'm not sure how long I can hold out on that one. Maybe complainings the wrong word, being negative about things is better. That will probably be my hard one and my easier one will probably be soemthing like do at least one thing ont he weekends that I enjoy (not just school work BLAH) Hope this helped you.
    \"As soon as you trust yourself,you will know how to live.\"
    Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
    \"Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight.\"
    Benjamin Franklin

Now I'm going to show my ignorance and say how I'm moderately surprised that there is another Lutheran here, Simply, and she's from the southern US! I thought most of us Lutherans were from the Scandinavian areas up here in the north, Michigan, Minnesota, Dakotas..... nice to hear they're all over!
    In memory of the sweetest german shepherd I ever had the pleasure of knowing. I love you, Duncan. 3/12/02 - 12/19/11