Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Question Exposure Therapy

Hey Everyone!
    I was wonderig if anyone ha tryed exposure therapy or has any information on it. I know the basics but I wanted to know more to see if it could maybe help me! Thanks

Default Re: Exposure Therapy

Hi meir,
    If you click on the link below to my website you will find tons of information about it. I explain the difference between "exposure therapy" - which is normally called "flooding" by therapists and "gradual desensitization" which can also be called "exposure therapy" by both laypersons and therapists. (So it's a bit confusing.) Flooding involves showing the client something or having them engage in something that makes them extremely anxious (up to 10/10) and make them stay with it/in it until their anxiety comes down. Gradual desensitization involves working at very low levels of anxiety - usually around 3 or 4/10 only. You do something little by little that raises your anxiety only so much and then relax/breathe, etc. to bring it back down. Then you do it/see it again and again until it doesn't bother you at all.

That's it in a nutshell but my site has way more info!
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Im working on that myself. I have a really high gross out factor and im truley only afraid of myself vomiting. And photos don't usually make me nervous. So for my exposure I watch youtube videos everyday or every other day. And I put myself into the persons shoes and.try to feel what they feel. But you have to BELIEVE it. And try and feel it. And it is scary. But I will do it until I relax. And I've noticed that I haven't thought about it as much during the day anymore! I think its really working! If your phobia is severe I would def. Start with sages website. Its AMAZING. For me I decided to take my own route and see what I can do good luck! And thank you sage!

Thanks Everyone!