Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Unhappy Help :( panicking

I'm panicking
    My boyfriend's little brother came down with some sort of stomach bug a few days ago and has been vomiting and has a fever of 104. My boyfriend came over before work today and we were intimate. I'm just REALLY scared he's going to get sick and then I'm going to get sick because you can be contagious without showing any symptoms ( Idk what to do. I'm freaking out. I was supposed to go on a date with him tomorrow night but now I don't think I can/want to Help me at least to calm down please? :/
    /end rant

Default Re: Help :( panicking

Edit: I know it's not healthy to isolate myself from the world which is why I think I shouldn't cancel on him tomorrow night. I would feel awful cause we only get to see each other once a week (sometimes twice). My therapist said that if I keep letting this control my life, it's only going to get worse. I know she's right; I just don't know how to combat this.

You are right, you shouldn't isolate yourself nor cancel your date. You will only grow weaker against your phobia if you back down every time you get scared. I understand why you are afraid to go out and I think most emets would feel the same way. In my experience and from what I've read stomach bugs don't always have fevers as symptoms like the flu or colds. Your boyfriends brother could be sick from something else, did his brother have diarrhea too? Diarrhea is more common and frequent with stomach viruses, I think if your boyfriend is feeling okay then you should go on your date. You are more likely to catch a virus when someone around you has symptoms. Good luck and have fun on your date, you'll be happy if you end up going.
    My Jacob makes life beautiful.

Quote Originally Posted by alisha27 View Post
    You are right, you shouldn't isolate yourself nor cancel your date. You will only grow weaker against your phobia if you back down every time you get scared. I understand why you are afraid to go out and I think most emets would feel the same way. In my experience and from what I've read stomach bugs don't always have fevers as symptoms like the flu or colds. Your boyfriends brother could be sick from something else, did his brother have diarrhea too? Diarrhea is more common and frequent with stomach viruses, I think if your boyfriend is feeling okay then you should go on your date. You are more likely to catch a virus when someone around you has symptoms. Good luck and have fun on your date, you'll be happy if you end up going.
    Thank you so much for replying! I do feel more calm now and I told him I still wanted to go out. I am very lucky he is as understanding of my phobia as he is. Even my own parents get annoyed at times and my bf is always just so patient. I do not know if he has diarrhea. As for the fever, yeah I know that usually high fevers like that is not the norm for norovirus. I actually feel *really* guilty for feeling so selfish about my own well being when his brother is the one who is ill. I hope he is okay. Usually fevers that high are never good