Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Question Dealing with emet at school?

Hello everyone!

I was just wondering how other people deal with their emet while at school. I'm okay in most of my classes, but I have an especially hard time in my math class, where I sit in the middle with no escape route, the desks are ridiculously close together, and since the entire class is listening to him talk, there's no chance to leave to go to the bathroom and pull myself together. I also have a hard time bearing my first class of the day. I dread the one day a week math is first class.

Any tips for surviving class? I find that drinking water and sucking on mints sometimes helps, but other times, it's all I can do not to run out of the class. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Default Re: Dealing with emet at school?

Hi Dragon

I'm going through exactly the same thing as you right now. I've legged it out of several classrooms with fear that I'll v, but I never have. I don't really have a coping strategy, except to just leave calmly and come back to the class in a few minutes when I feel better.
    Sorry I'm not much help. I just want you to know you're not alone x
    Claire

I am in college and I am going through the same thing. I walked out completely embarrassed last week because I couldn't hold still any longer. I sit against a wall on the very far side of the door entrance. I also don't feel comfortable in the class because the professor talks the whole time. I feel more comfortable in a class where people are talking, there is noise and things are just going on to distract myself. I definitely feel like being in a quiet room and feeling trapped between everyone really raises anxiety. I don't have any good advice since I'm struggling too. You have to realize that it's all anxiety driven. You are aware there is a pattern, you feel sick in math and one bad experience in that class can cause a domino effect causing you to have episode after episode. You'll get through it, just keep using your coping techniques and realize if you have to get up and leave it wont be the end of the world. You could also tell your teacher you suffer from generalized anxiety and maybe he or she will be more understanding. Good luck.
    My Jacob makes life beautiful.

Thanks for your kind responses. I think I'll ask him if I can be moved to the back of the room, since there are some empty desks and they're near the back door. I just wish I could just deal with it instead of trying to avoid situations like these which make me anxious.

I'm in university and I really struggle with my anxiety and emet during lectures as well.
    I HAVE to have an escape route, otherwise all I can think about is that, if I were to v, I would not make it out of the room. It's difficult when you don't have a good escape route (some of the rooms that my lectures are in do not even have a washroom on the same floor!!!), so I would definitely suggest asking for a seating change. I always sit on the end of a row on the side that is closest to the door.

I also chew minty gum during class and always keep a water bottle with me. It's also good when you have something to concentrate on to keep your thoughts away from your anxiety; if it is a class where notes are already provided or you are expected to simply sit and listen, I take notes regardless. If I can focus on copying down notes, class goes by a little quicker and I can avoid negative thoughts.

Good luck!

I doodle and eat mints like it's my job. I have bad bad bad class anxiety. So bad I had to switch from a large university to a small private one. Smaller classes help me mAnage but I still have my days.
    “Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”

“We are the girls with anxiety disorders, filled appointment books, five-year plans. We take ourselves very, very seriously. We are the peacemakers, the do-gooders, the givers, the savers. We are on time, overly prepared, well read, and witty, intellectually curious, always moving. We pride ourselves on getting as little sleep as possible and thrive on self-deprivation. We drink coffee, a lot of it. We are on birth control, Prozac, and multivitamins. We are relentless, judgmental with ourselves, and forgiving to others. We never want to be as passive-aggressive as our mothers, never want to marry men as uninspired as our fathers. We are the daughters of the feminists who said, “You can be anything,” and we heard, “You have to be everything.”

Hey,

Really sorry that you're suffering; school is a difficult place because I found that I was often misunderstood by people my age as teens can be very judgemental. I was always very on edge and couldn't relax due to my anxiety and i think people often find this hard to get to grips with sometimes.

What is your support at home like? Depending on your school and their support, perhaps you and your parent/s could ask to meet with headteachers and pastoral support (a term we use in English schools, not sure where you're from) and ask if there can be some means put in place to help you deal with anxiety. They do not even need to know about the phobia necessarily, although obviously honesty is the best thing, as they know all the facts and can help you in all the ways they can. Perhaps you could get the maths teacher involved on this meeting or approach them separately and ask for him to subtly rearrange the seating so that you have a place near the door and perhaps on the end of a row so you are not closed in on both sides. You could also have a close friend sit next to you in these classes so that if you need calming down or a distraction, there is one available.

At my secondary school, some pupils used to have special cards or were made aware of to the teachers, that if they needed to leave the classroom, they must not be refused and could take some time out. I'm not sure how this would work at your school but it could be an option. Pupils with anger issues, anxiety, medical problems etc had them, and if necessary they could take a visit to the nurse or counsellor to calm them down etc.

If that is not possible, is there any chance you could have some lessons taught on your own in a comfortable environment by another teacher? Even if it is just maths, or adjust as you see fit.

You have done so well to continue on as you have been doing, good luck xx

I'm sorry... I wish I knew ways to help, but I get extreme anxiety in classrooms too, even in university. I'll be feeling deathly throughout the entire class, then by break or the end of class, I'm 100% better. That clearly means my anxiety is situational and I'm trying to figure out how to cope with it. I don't leave in the middle of class (I'm even scared of gaining attention as I get up and walk out the door to the bathroom) so I sit there the entire time shaking in my boots until class is over. But some days are better than others and I find that I pull strength from talking to other people who are also feeling nervous about the class schedule, assignments or upcoming exams. It makes me feel like I'm not alone and that the entire classroom isn't revolved around me (I tend to feel egocentric--in the bad way--when I'm ridden with anxiety because I hate it when people notice me). Good luck and just take deep breaths. And the more you concentrate on the lecture, and become engaged with it, the more you will find yourself drifting away from your personal concerns... at least that seems to work with me. Hang tight!
    destroy what destroys you

Whenever I felt like i was going to be sick I would hang out in the bathroom and listen to my ipod to calm my self down. I stayed in there so even if i got sick on the floor. At least for the most part I was out of the public eye

I'm sorry to hear you are having such an issue with school. But, as everyone else can agree you are not alone. I am in college now, but middle school and most of high school was very very rough for me, for this reason. Mint gum helps me a lot, the mint for my stomach and the chewing to distract me. Also, I play with things, like a hair band/rubberband etc. And try to image my favortie place, which for me is the beach. Water helps, but I find tea the best, the calming kind. But that is probably difficult to have in school I would assume.
    Hope some of this helps, good luck, it will get better!
    \"The habbits of inattention and absence are strong, yet the experience of life, moment by moment, is precious\"

AIM = burnbaby1017

Hi, I am going through the same thing in high school. One bit of advice I can offer is talking to your guidance councler or support staff, depending on how your school is arranged. In the US there is something called an IEP, which is a written form that lists "modifications" that you are able to recieve. Some modifications that I have are sitting on the end of a row and being able to leave class if I need to calm down. The teachers get a small copy, but do not always read it. So, it may be a good idea to bring it up with them as said above. With the IEP, however, if someone stops you, you can always go back and say it is in my IEP! lol. I hope this helps :-)

Hey! I went through this when I was at school and I am at college now too. My worst was a few years ago when I actually skipped school for weeks or went and left at break or lunch due to the fear that I'd be sick at school! I saw a counsellor and told my guidance teacher so I got to break into the classes a bit easier. My advice to you is to talk to your teacher and ask to move nearer to the door. I also drink water when I'm a bit nervous and have a hairband around my wrist to play with to distract me. Hope this helps keep strong xxx

If you're having a hard time in a class, talk to our teacher or the counselor. They will both be really helpful, well the teacher might not understand completely so I'd definitely speak with a counselor first. My counselor sent out an e-mail to all my teachers, notifying them that not only did I suffer from immense migraines, but I'm also struggling with anxiety and sometimes, I'd have to step out of class to be able to continue learning effectively. It helped so much, my teachers are very kind towards my situation. I also keep lots of mints with me, Ginger lozenges (non medicated- they're just ginger) and hand sanitizer, always! xo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Att våga är att tappa fotfästet en stund, att inte våga är att förlora sig själv."
    "To dare is to lose your foothold for a moment, to not dare is to lose yourself."

It can help if you tell the teachers what the problem is (anxiety) otherwise they could make up other stories.
    Mark

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A free web based treatment for emetophobia

I used to have a lot of problesm being in class in high school. My specialty was panic attacks whether it was because someone was coughing or because they said they had been sick recently. I only ever had one teacher say something though. He said it privately though (thank god) and of course I told him I was fine which I most definitely wasn't. I think some of the other students used to notice because they would give me weird looks. I used to wash my hands between every class and my hands ended up so dry that my skin would crack. I would disinfect all my pens and my pencil case when I had sat next to someone who said they had been sick recently.

I think it's safe to say I did not cope well! I don't really have much advice I can give you really but I know how difficult it is. I hope you can work something out

Hello.
    I am the same way. My math class is in a portable. I have severe panic attacks, luckily my friend who sits behind me knows about my issues.
    My biggest problem is French class where you're not allowed to talk at all, and whose teacher kinda scares me. I've been told by the guidance councellor that I can go and sit in the Guidance Conference room or guidance office if i need to, which I haven't yet. Sometimes if you talk to your school administration, they can come up with a plan for you to have a safe place to go to if you're panicking.
    Sometimes even a thumbs down to your teacher or some sort of signal to tell them where you're going works

I have been dealing with Emet at school since the 5th grade - i'm in 10th now.
    I hope things are better for you.

Lizzie ♥

hi there, i have the same problem but i just asked the teacher if i could move to the door, if they aren't approachable you could ask your parents to talk to your head of year or whoever is in charge. sorry i'm not much help. you could also take like a ginger smell with you like you can get them in the same little bottles as lavender oil. good luck and remember your not alone, hope you feel better!