Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: My emetophobia

Default My emetophobia

Well I need to get this off of my chest, because this is something I cant talk about to anyone and would really appreciate some feedback. Well heres my story. When I was ten I started getting stomach aches, didnt know why, and im pretty sure thats how this started. I was away at a tennis tournament and just got these bad stomach aches, and I was scared. Anyways after that my mom and I believed I had acid refluxe, so we went to the doctors and they prescribed me with some medication, which didnt help really. Anyways fast forwarding since then my emetophobia has stuck with me, but the thing is if Im home I wouldnt care nearly as much is if I were in public, so I think at times I have social phobia along with emetophobia. It has affected all aspects of my life, including school. I do well in school, however it is really hard to motivate myself to go every morning because first period is the absolute worst, almost every day my stomach is upset and then my mind makes it worse and every week or so Ill have a panic attack because im scared of throwing up infront of everyone, which is my ultimate fear. Luckily that hasnt happened to me yet. It has been so bad that I had to leave the sat during the test because i felt so nauseous and panicked. Also at the homecoming assembly that just passed I had a stomach ache and was panicked about throwing up infront of the whole school. Its really hard dealing with this. For the past 3 years I always have tums and pepto bismol in my pocket to feel better. I take peptobismol practically every day before school. Anyways I would really appreciate your feedback, and I am a senior in HS now.

Default Re: My emetophobia

Oh my goodness I felt like I was reading something I wrote! LOL! I am the exact same way, when I am home I am fine but as soon as I leave my house my anxiety goes crazy because I am so, so afraid of getting sick in public! I was planning on going back to school this month but just couldn't bring myself to do it because I knew how my anxiety would keep me from it. I lost a job a few months back because I called in too much because I was consistantly sick to my stomach everyday. Even going to see a movie is hard for me.. But if I am doing something that keeps my mind occupied I do alright but the minute my mind has time to wander, I am freaking out. My husband and friends get so upset with me because I never want to do anything because I would much rather be home, in my comfort zone! I keep peptobismol tablets and nausea pills in my purse at all times, a long with plastic bags just in case! Having those things on me keep my mind at ease for the most part. So don't worry. You're not alone! You and I sound like we have the same issues! Feel free to email me if you need someone to talk to!
    "We have to learn to be our own best friends because we fall too easily into the trap of being our own worst enemies."