Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Roommate is always sick

I recently moved out to go to college and my roommate has IBS and lots of other stomach issues. She is constantly saying her stomach hurts, and I freak out and try to casually ask her a bunch of questions. It's not so much of me being afraid of her (or anyone else) v*ing, I'm just afraid I am going to catch whatever they have. I know it sounds selfish, but if someone near me has a SV, I will hide in my room and not eat for a couple days.

I feel insane

Default Re: Roommate is always sick

That's normal for an emet. When my brother and mother both came down the a sv after christmas, I stayed in my grandpa's house for 5 days!! (they have a home in florida that they live in during the winter, so it was just me) I just stayed in their basement with a little space heater. haha
    But, you're roomie has IBS, which you can't catch. If she was sick sick, you could probably tell a difference in how she acts and she'd probably tell you if it wasn't her "usual".
    Don't feel selfish, nobody WANTS to be sick and even non-emets will avoid sick people.
    “Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”

“We are the girls with anxiety disorders, filled appointment books, five-year plans. We take ourselves very, very seriously. We are the peacemakers, the do-gooders, the givers, the savers. We are on time, overly prepared, well read, and witty, intellectually curious, always moving. We pride ourselves on getting as little sleep as possible and thrive on self-deprivation. We drink coffee, a lot of it. We are on birth control, Prozac, and multivitamins. We are relentless, judgmental with ourselves, and forgiving to others. We never want to be as passive-aggressive as our mothers, never want to marry men as uninspired as our fathers. We are the daughters of the feminists who said, “You can be anything,” and we heard, “You have to be everything.”

Yeah! My older brother gets the SV every year at least once, he has like no immunity to it. My parents are divorced so I just go stay at the opposite house as him!

It would make sense to take extra precautions like washing your hands before you eat and other simple hygiene habits when your flatmate is sick.
    Mark

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A free web based treatment for emetophobia

Mo,

Would you be willing to ask her if she would let you know if she thinks she has a contagious stomach virus?

Doug
    To learn more about emetophobia, see
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Yeah, I think she definately would. She knows how I am, so it would be just cruel if she didn't!

yeah, being emet is nervewrecking. my husband experiences nausea daily from some medication he's on for life. so sometimes he'll run into the bathroom and start dry heaving (and every once in a while, V*). it freaks me out. i figure it's not a norovirus unless he has watery D* too.
    My YouTube Channel:

My Emet Blog:

I didn't go away to college because of people being drunk and vomit happening...I'd be in big trouble