Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: dentist?

hey all,

so i havent been to the dentist for over two years. i think the time has come now. one of my teeth is hurting - mid way on the top level - there is already a huge filling there and i KNOW it needs to be looked at. i took the first step and booked myself in - lucky i got an appointment really since the state of NHS dentists over here isnt even funny!

but guys - im sooo scared - what if he wants to pull it out? i had a needle one time before and it didnt make me sick? if they pull a tooth out - is there a lot of blood...?

oh mannnn

ems x [img]smileys/smilies_06.gif[/img]

lets say the worst case senerio is that they have to pull the tooth out. I have a tiny jaw, and normal size teeth, so Ive had a few of them pulled because there was not enough room for them all!

I will tell you thats its not that bad, probably my least favorite part of being at the dentist, but i only hate it cause you cant feel the tooth coming out, but you have this really odd sensation of the pressure which I just can't stand. I'm sure most people fly through this part, its different for everyone.

there isnt alot of blood, really. the gauze the doc gives you will take care of most of it. you cant really see anyways, since its in your mouth.

I usually try and close my eyes when i get the needle, and it doesnt bother me at all anymore. I used ti run away screaming, when I was little my mom would have to coax me out of the dentists bathroom befacuse i was so afraid, and bribe me with barbie dolls. lol.

now dentists have come so far you hardly feel a thing.I would say I less enjoy plucking my eyebrows over getting a needle there now.

tell the dentist you are nervous, that helps. most dentists expect to hear this alot. He'll probably explain everything to you as he goes and that helps too.

the longer you leave it, the worse it gets. trust me. I avioded it for 7 years, now Ive got 7 cavaties, 4 of which have been filled, and I have to get 3 more done.

better now than later!
    ~*Jill*~ Teacher, Advanced BSc in Psychology

"You can unlock any door as long as you have the right key". Mrs. Brisby, Secret of Nimh

Hi!

I can completely relate to your dental fears. It had been about 4 years since I had been to the dentist and then one day about this time last year, I started having terrible pain. I had to wait about 2 weeks before being seen by a dentist. I ended up being diagnosed with a dental abcess and had to have a root canal! The same thing happened about 6 months later and I had to have another root canal. Now, I never miss an appointment because I fear the consequences of waiting too long. I have never had one of my adult teeth pulled. I did have my wisdom teeth cut out 10 years ago and it wasn't that bad at all. I don't have a fear of the needles--my biggest fear is gagging! I hope everything goes well for you. Just be sure to go for your routine check ups from now on so that they can catch any tooth problems early enough to not cause you problems! Good luck and be sure to update us!

Jess

oh and the needle shouldnt make you feel sick - I happen to have a faint reaction to needles where my blood pressure drops so fast, I feel pretty sickly. this is very rare, but can happen if your super tense as well. mind you it only lasts for a minute and goes away. I dont think this will happen to you though. If youve had needles before and were fine you will be next time too!
    ~*Jill*~ Teacher, Advanced BSc in Psychology

"You can unlock any door as long as you have the right key". Mrs. Brisby, Secret of Nimh

You will be fine!! I had 2 of my wisdom teeth pulled with just novacaine. I refused the to be put under because of the possibility of v*. So I got 7 shots for numbing, and I felt fine. Never felt sick, just a little sore when the novacaine wore off. If you can wear headphones and close your eyes, that really helps too.

--Kim

I used to be scared but not no more. Just let them know that you are scared...they will take care of you. I had 3 wisdom teeth pulled last year in the office and did fine.

My dentist office has a sign that says "We cater to cowards"[img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img] Thats me!

Oh yea...I am sure they will do whatever possible to save it. Hopefully you have insurance![img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]

Hiya,

Be confident! Make sure u let the dentist know that u r scared and they will do everything they can to make u feel more comfortable.

I had to have a mould of my mouth done after my dentist decided i needed a brace - and whilst I hated every single second of it, I got through it. And thats what u need to concentrate on. Dont keep thinking on "what could happen" think about the positive aspects of the situation. This will increase ur motivation to go and to get through it ok. [img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]

Think how wonderful and proud of urself u will feel, after u have been able to do this visit!

Rachel x x x
    <center><font size=\"2\"><font color=BLACK> If you\'re going through hell... keep on going... </font></font></center>

Oh my gosh I haven't been to the dentist in years and finally I went and thank god I am over that fear. I had my tooth pulled about 2 months ago and I didn't bleed very much at all. I had no pain after the freezing came out! Everything will go ok.

Hi Ens.....I am the BIGGEST BABY when it comes to the dentist...I shake uncontrollaby...I freeze to death the whole time...I have to go pee about 10 times when I am in the chair....just because I am soooo nervous.....but one time I needed a root canal....really bad...had sever pain in the bottom front tooth....I had to call several dentists before my currant one took me in...it was on a holiday weekend called me in an antibiotic...and saw me that mon. am....did the procedure and it was fine...never felt a thing.....i have lost a tooth before this due to being soo scared of a root canal....always had a dentist phobia since I was little......so anyway I always opt for the needle before the laughing gas...hated that feeling of not being in control...so i would have the needle anyday over gas.....never makes me sick or anything......I have also had another tooth pulled by a very scarey dentist with a licence plate that read...."JAWS"... if that tells you anything anyway got through that....and now i think I can do about anything at the dentist now...just go and take a xanax before you go in there....and ask for a blanket to warm you up....and tell them how you feel...i do.....and they will surely take care of you and ease you through it.....please don't put it off though...it will be worse on you then...good luck...and let me know how it goes.....Kat