Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Hi there-I'm new here. Here's my story!

Hi, my name is Jill! I have been an emetophobic for many years. I am 24 years old, from Canada. The last time I remember v* is when I was in grade 2. I wasn't feeling well but I was suppose to go over to my friends house after school. I didn't want to go, but she convinced me. I remember sitting at her desk in her bedroom, and before I knew it I had fallen off of the chair, and had v* all over her bedroom floor and teddy bears. I was horrified. As a child, I also remember my mother v* many times from very bad migraines. I always thought she was dying. My older sister has no problem with v* what so ever, in fact, she thinks is hilarious.

Today, I work with infants in a day care setting, brave, eh? I always thought I was okay with "infant puke" because it is more like spit up. Until recently, when I realized that I had been underestimating the amount of v* an infant could produce with a stomach bug. I love everything about my job, except that I am at an increased risk of catching the stomach flu. I try very hard not to panic, but it is easier said than done (as I am sure many of you can appreciate). Since my last v* many years ago, I have managed to get the stomach flu 3 times, and food poisoning withing v*, or feeling as though I need to v*. But this is not reassuring enough for me.

There is currently a stomach flu outbreak at my center, and I am a mess. I spend all day thinking about v* and washing my hands like crazy. Often until they are raw. I cannot comprehend how everyone does not panic this way. Lol. Why isn't there a vaccine for this yet????

Last year I saw a hypnotist (who is also a family doctor). Prior to seeing him I was mostly just afraid of hearing or seeing someone v*. I feel that the 3 sessions with him did help me to realize that I can handle myself when someone does v* (in the past I would most likely have physically assaulted the person). I now feel like I can compose myself when someone v* around me. However, my fear has manifested itself in different ways. I am now neurotic about not catching the virus, I have sent entirely too much time researching v* and the stomach flu. I will spend days waiting for a stomach ache to appear after hearing someone has had the stomach flu, and I over react at any pain I have in my stomach. I ask my husband several times a day if he is feeling sick (only when I know someone around me has been sick), and it consumes my thoughts.

--Has anyone else had this kind of experience with hypnotism? I am debating if I should go back and get him to work on these other issues with my, or if I should cut my losses now, in case it makes the phobia even worse.

Needless to say, I wish stomach flu season would just end already. Why can't I just be afraid of spiders? Ugh!!

Anyways, hope everyone is healthy and happy

Default Re: Hi there-I'm new here. Here's my story!

Puglady,

There is a case on my web site about a woman your age who went to a hypnotist to be cured of emetophobia. He got her to induce herself to vomit, and she was cured. http://emetophobia.byethost15.com/cure0.html

Doug
    To learn more about emetophobia, see
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Default Re: Hi there-I'm new here. Here's my story!

Wow- thanks for that. A lot of what was said also describes me.