Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Unhappy Dry-Heaving at night

Okay, a few nights ago I coughed violently in the early morning. At first I put it to either the heat or hunger.
    Yesterday I got the same thing but it went all night and I dry heaved every couple of hours. I familiarized it with a time last year where I was doing the same for a whole week because I was anxious - I also know it's anxiety because even when I have something in my stomach it won't come up.
    I have no idea where it started from or how it began. It only comes at night, and right now I am not anxious over anything. Right now, none of the techniques I have learned over the years will stop it.
    Distracting myself, doing my mantra on my Buddha beads (which always helped me before no matter how bad it was), doing any other form of meditation, and even going down to the most basic thing and finally taking a pill.
    It's not that my fear of being sick is going bad, because I don't mind dry heaving as long as I don't actually get sick, but it's becoming very uncomfortable...and I am a night-owl, I prefer staying up at night, so I'd really like it to stop.

Any suggestions at all?

Default Re: Dry-Heaving at night

Have you been eating enough lately? I don't know much about dry heaving but maybe its a result of hunger? I hope your problem goes away!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Hmm, I have no idea. You mentioned it was this time last year as well. Is there something different this time of year? Seasons change always comes to mind, but maybe a time of personal stress?

If it continues I'd check with the doc, just to be safe.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

You may find these links helpful!

Thank you, but even when I have a good enough of food in my stomach it still continues.

You carry a good point that I had yet to think about. It could be outside stress; as from the year before I could clearly tell what exactly it had spawned off from. If what I'm thinking is right, it's going to take a while to get right through this. Thank you for pointing that out though.

Have you tried wearing Seabands at night? They can help stop the gagging if you're not actually sick. But make sure youw wear them right.

Actually, this sounds like it could be GERD, have you spoken to your doctor about it?

Quote Originally Posted by out_of_order View Post
    Have you tried wearing Seabands at night? They can help stop the gagging if you're not actually sick. But make sure youw wear them right.
    I have searched them up after reading this, so no. If I can find them I might try them out.

Quote Originally Posted by twinmom73 View Post
    Actually, this sounds like it could be GERD, have you spoken to your doctor about it?
    When this started last year I thought this was the case as well. Last year I did check in with the doctor because I thought it was GERD, but it turned out it didn't, and passed after a week.
    The night before it stopped though my throat still felt funny. If it continues on I might check to see if it is GERD this time around. For all I know it could be.

Quote Originally Posted by Maige View Post
    I have searched them up after reading this, so no. If I can find them I might try them out.
    You should be able to find them at most pharmacies.

I think it's happening because you're almost expecting it. My anxiety shows up more at night than any other time (or at least it has been for the past few days). It sounds to me like you have a lot of anxiety because of your emetophobia. You start to literally give yourself symptoms of being sick because of your anxiety. You could not even be thinking about it and it'll pop up out of no where, making you believe it's not anxiety. In reality though, it is. Just repeat over and over again that it's all in your head. When these episodes are happening, it helps me to sit outside and talk to someone about it.
    This is coming from someone with anxiety and getting medication for it soon.