Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Suggestions for Distractions please :)

Personally I'm in a fairly good place, I haven't had a serious attack for about a week and a half and when I have felt one coming on I've been able to distract myself. However, I've been on holiday so now I'm back I'm wondering what are the best methods other people find for distracting themselves? I'll start off with my favourite, feel free to add your own!

Naomi

Facebook
    Wikipedia articles/research
    Online games
    Listening to an audio book-
    I find this more distracting than just reading, because I can do something like go on the computer at the same time and use a lot of my attention
    Tidying up
    Playing a musical instrument-I'm a keen musician and I find this one to be by far the most effective-it uses all of my attention and my hands and I usually find myself impatiently pushing away thoughts of anxiety because it's getting in the way-this is a good one if you can play, but if not, try buying a ukulele for £15 and when you feel anxiety or nausea creeping up on you, learn a new couple of chords or a song.

Default Re: Suggestions for Distractions please :)

TV, word searches or crossword puzzles, Where's Waldo books, damnyouautocorrect, drawing
    emetophobia shmemetophobia! -
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I watch Youtube videos, sing, write poetry, draw, decorate, paint, play with the cats, Facebook, writing in my diary, texting/calling someone, making jokes with the family, having a cigarette, do my makeup or hair, play apps on my phone. Stuff like that haha. I like artsy things. I also find cracking jokes with my family or talking about daily drama/gossip takes my mind off it.
    Tumblr :
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Facebook :

Youtube :

~No matter where life takes me, find me with a smile.
    ~

reading a book,watching tv or watching something on computer (movies,series),going out,invite friend or friends,facebook...
    I remember one time when i went to birthday of a popular girl in my class. I knew i'd be nervous,not cause of her,but cause of other i didn't know. And that was the first time i wore a dress and heels. I invite my friend which who i went there at my house before to make up,etc and i wasn't nervous at aĺl! I'm often nervous before going out at night with people i don't know..
    "Worrying is a waste of time. It doesn't change anything, it just messes with your mind and steals your happines."

I read and watch tv mainly as my distractions, or if my kids are up I play with them or let them entertain me. They can be my rock & guidance sometimes

Sudoku puzzles have really helped to distract me. I find that I have to be 'doing' something rather than watching tv etc. Last time I felt ill I made a mosaic coaster. I bought a kids art kit thing and it was really fun to do, took about 2 hours and was a good distraction.

I play a lot of video games.

Watch tv, clean, talk to my husband, I usually like to move around.

I play Skyrim, or look on Funnyjunk, talk to the dog (I know I'm mad!) , I used to read or watch TV but unfortunately my mind caught on and they stopped working! Afraid I'm gonna run out of methods :/

I spend most of my time hanging out online. When I get panicky, I send Emails to my Emetophobia support groups. I take Ativan or Phenargen to help me calm down. I also drink chamomile tea and take Nauzene or Pepto Bismol. Not all at once, of course. If my bowels are a little loose and mushy, I take an Imodium to nip it in the bud. I listen to New Age music on satellite TV. I do that often anyway whether or not I get panicky.

Susan

I watch some chuggaaconroy lps and also play grand theft auto xD

And play piano. My bad. Hit post too early by accident xD

All things music! In particular, singing always helps me. I'm not a good singer by any means but the act simply takes my mind off of the fear and panic. And playing my guitar or piano always helps. Whenever I had a panic attack I would try and sing Adele's Rolling in the Deep and I would make myself laugh at how bad I did! It worked so well, lol!

Att våga är att tappa fotfästet en stund, att inte våga är att förlora sig själv."
    "To dare is to lose your foothold for a moment, to not dare is to lose yourself."

I tend to write stories and poems and I also knit

Its crazy cos none of the above help me. i have to do something intense such as be in a meeting at work or an important discussion. One thing that helped was writing down all the bad things i was feeling then goin outside and setting it alight! i actually need techniques myself, but intense distractions if anyone has any? X

TV and computer work for me. Also, if I am feeling really nervous and anxious I usually feel like I need to be moving so I will walk- sometimes that means just pacing around my backyard but moving makes me feel better for some reason (I probably look like a crazy person to any neighbors behind me that can see into my backyard from their 2nd story windows). I also like to take a bath and bring my Ipad into the bathroom and put on a movie or TV show on Netflix or Hulu and watch it while I soak.

wow these are all awesome! Yeah, I find playing music is really the best one for me. It uses both my hands so I can't wring or squeeze them, my brain so I can't think about it, plus I enjoy it more than anything anyway and it makes me feel so great about myself and is a really great outlet for my feelings. ALL THINGS MUSIC.

When I feel panicky, I turn on some music and start writing. Hugging my cat helps, along with sipping iced tea and watching a good old movie too. The more distractions I have at once, the less likely I am to give into my fears.

facebook and youtube