Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Unhappy I feel so stupid :(

Hi guys,

I'm up late with a stomach ache (just like everyone else) and I'm freaking out. I'm 22 and I've been suffering from emetephobia for years now. I am so so so scared of throwing up. I would actually rather break my leg than throw up. I woke up about an hour after falling a sleep with this massive pain in my lower back. I have back problems but this felt really weird, like a burning sensation. I started not being able to breath, my heart started racing and I started feeling nauseous. I was walking around the house to try and calm down and then all of a sudden I ran to the washroom and had diarrhea. I started crying (what 22 year old cries when they poo) because I immediately associated it with throwing up during the last time I had a stomach bug. I woke my husband up in a panic and he tried to calm me down but nothing's working, then I called my parents and the same thing. I know they're trying to help but they just down understand that I can't "snap out of it". Even my dog is looking at me like I'm weird. I'm a married adult yet I feel like a child. I am so scared I'm going to throw up right now and I don't know what to do.

Is anyone else up with the same thing right now? I feel so alone and so stupid :'(

~M

Default Re: I feel so stupid :(

I am up feeling sick right now too

sorry you are having a bad night......try and figure out a good distraction for your brain.....i play trivia online in a chat room...it moves very fast and you HAVE to pay attention.....99% of the time it will relax me enough to finally go back to bed.

i'm hoping you're both asleep by now
    how i feel about emet
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I agree ... distraction is the key to feeling better when anxiety hits. Anxiety can make your n* a billion times worse so calming down would be the first thing you'd want to try to do. I hope you're feeling better.

And you are NOT stupid. You have a phobia and that does not make you stupid, AT ALL. Try not to think that about yourself. And I agree with everyone above, find something that you enjoy that will distract you; it will help you calm down. Feel better.