Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Food safety- Cooked Chicken Breast

Okay, I normally don't post on here, and have been doing pretty dang well with my anxiety lately, but randomly tonight got anxious and am now wondering- so this is a poll I guess of sorts.

I had a half a chicken breast that I cooked Wednesday evening. It went straight into the fridge, and my fridge is kept at 32 degrees. I ate the last half tonight for dinner, and got nervous soon after. I suspect it's cuz I have to make a trip to pick up people from the airport tonight and it's that whole- not in control of where I can be what if I get sick while I'm out thing.

Is 3.5-4 days too long? I know there are some on here who are nervous about chicken period.. looking to see what the general thoughts are. I've taken a double dose of apple cider vinegar anyways (just in case there WAS a chance of fp) but I suspect I'm just being overly paranoid.

Thoughts?

Default Re: Food safety- Cooked Chicken Breast

3 days is usually recommended but 4 days isn't bad if it was kept cool the whole time. I wouldn't push my luck for more than 5 days though, but I know people who eat stuff that old and don't get sick at all. Apple cider vinegar probably won't change much in case of food poisoning because what happens in most cases is if the food was bad, it's the toxin produced by the bacteria that makes you sick and not the bacteria itself (there are exceptions obviously) and the toxins are not affected by pretty much anything (heat, acid, you name it.. they survive). But I'm 100% sure you'll be fine.

I think you'll be fine, too. Have fun with your visitors!

3-4 days is optimal. You will be fine. I do not know why so many get worried about leftovers. My neighbor gave me a 3/4 ham once since they do not do leftovers.

We frequently keep poultry 4-5 days and do fine. As long as it's refrigerated and heated well you'll be fine. You also have to remember that if you cooked it Wednesday, unless you cooked it first thing in the morning, technically it's only 3 days old...
    *The truth is that our finest moments are most likely to occur when we are feeling deeply uncomfortable, unhappy or unfulfilled. For it is only in such moments, propelled by our discomfort, that we are likely to step out of our ruts and start searching for different ways or truer answers.* -- M. Scott Peck

If it smelled fine and tasted fine then it should be fine! I think it's usually 3 days but what does a few more hours make! Hope you're okay.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    "One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching"

My Emetophobia blog:
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My photography Tumblr:
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thanks guys, normally I'm totally not weird with leftovers or chicken, I really think it was because of having to leave at 10pm to make an airport run- the lack of control of where I'd be if I DID for whatever reason get food poisoning is what did it I suspect! I'm still good and it's been 8 hrs, last time I got food poisoning I started having symptoms by about 7 hrs so I'm sure I'm fine. And again, my brain is going "really Heather?? You are freaking over something you do all the time?! You eat raw fish for goodness sake!" ... Lol anyways. We all know logic and emet aren't good friends.

Now you can relax and enjoy your company. I'm glad all is well.

Your post made me smile. Love your self talk. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Cynna View Post
    Your post made me smile. Love your self talk. LOL

Haha my logical side always has something to say about my emetophobia. Usually my anxiety is just louder But really, I'm thinking of it last night and was like okay- sushi is my favourite food.. I eat it and have never gotten sick. Why am I freaking about chicken that is ONE day past the "optimal"?! I'm working super hard to learn to listen to the logical side.

So proud of you for recognizing and listening to your logical side.