Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Feeling silly / angry

Hi all! I'm new to this forum having signed up tonight after reading comments for about the last 6 weeks.
    I'm feeling very silly / angry with myself for being so worried about v* when there is so much worse going on in the world. I know this is an irrational phobia & I try to remind myself of this constantly but not a day has gone by in the last 2 months at least where I haven't thought about feeling / being ill I think my fear which I've had for as long as I can remember has reappeared after my other half & son were poorly in October. Sometimes I don't even know what it is I'm scared of e.g. Being ill myself or being around others - I'm worried that I'm not bring a good mom to my son & that I may pass this fear to him also.

As I'm new pls let me know if I'm using words that I shouldn't.

You've all been a great help so far

Default Re: Feeling silly / angry

Hey there and welcome! don't feel silly/angry! This is a horrid phobia that is just as you said 'irrational' your not alone and we've all had the thoughts about things going on in the world that are worse, however when you are in the grip of that panic nothing in the world is worse for you!

I do hope this site helps you! There is some fabulous help and advice to be had and just know that it can and will get better!

Do you do any therapy/meds?! I have done therapy and hypnotherapy in the last year and feel 90% better now than this time last year!

Im sure your a great mum! We cope as best we can! I always worry I will pass this fear onto my son, how old are your kids? Mine is 13 and I have explained what emetophobia is and why I am the way I am! That most people don't like to *v which is normal! He's really cool about it!

Thanks

i had some counselling a few years back but that was more for OCD that was linked slightly to this fear - I think it's a control issue for me as was prescribed diazepam for flying etc. I think this has been kick started as my son who is 2.5 started nursery in Nov & on our 1st day I was told 'we have a nasty v* bug going around' - this freaked me out straight away & I just wanted to run straight back out with my son, but I know he needs to live his life & I can't cocoon him to stop him becoming ill.

Does anyone else almost feel a bit scared of their children in case they have something? This is what makes me feel terrible as it shouldn't matter because he's my child

I know I can look after him when I need to as when he was ill in October I got straight in there cleaning him up & disinfecting floors etc & felt so bad for him because he was so poorly! When my other half had it 2 days earlier I wouldn't even sleep in the same bed as him - isn't that awful?

Would u recommend hypnotherapy as this is something I've thought about?

I know how you feel. Whenever I obsess over this or become bothered by anything else that seems foolish in the great scheme of things, I think about people who have very serious problems. I know a beautiful girl with cancer who is fighting for her life and would give anything to be healthy enough to resume her life again. Then there's me, spiraling into a bad mood because the speakers in my car sound like crap or because someone barfed outside of my apartment building. You're not the only one. While our fears aren't trivial to ourselves, it does help to keep things in perspective sometimes.
    Last edited by alexikiss; 01-10-2013 at 01:19 AM.

Your husband is a grown up who can take care of himself. When the need arose, you were up to the challenge. No, it isn't silly, because it has an impact on your life. Silly is making fun of the way someone looks in a pair of jeans. Being frightened a great deal of the time is not silly.