Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Angry My weekend has been ruined :(

Ugh... I woke up super excited that it was Friday and that the weekend was on it's way. Then... I got a text from a co-worker saying that they had been hit with the stomach flu and that because of me they would spare everyone the details but that it sucked and it sucked bad. My weekend is ruined. I work with only 9 people. Up until yesterday only 2 out of the 9 people have had the stomach flu and it's been over a week since the last person had it so I thought our office was safe. Now our office in the next door building...they have dozens of people out with the stomach flu. I avoid going over there at all costs. Anyway, now i feel doomed. I feel like because she sits across from me and she's in this room with 9 of us that we are all going to end up with it. The 2 girls that had it came back right away .. one just only hours after she stopped puking and that was 2 weeks ago right after christmas and we all stayed well. The other girl had it on a Thursday and thankfully didn't come back until Monday but now it's Friday and someone else has been struck down by it. I know she goes tanning and to the gym and could have caught it there instead of here at work but she lives alone and I'd think she'd be safer than all of us that live with a spouse or have kids or whatever. I'm a nervous wreck and feel like i'm doomed and my weekend is ruined now because I'll be worried about it all flippin weekend I'm panicking to say the least and feel like the weekend that i was anticipating to be so good is now going to be stressful and full of worry. The worst part is I got the text and I said to my husband that now my weekend is ruined and i was in tears. He got mad and said yeah and your stupid phobia is ruining my life too and slammed my car door and went to his car and left. I hate this phobia it is ruining lives... not only mine but my families too but I don't want to throw up and that over rules everything. I can't help but worry. Ugh. Okay Rant over.

Default Re: My weekend has been ruined :(

Keep in mind that those who catch it are the type who don't wash their hands and touch their faces or put their hands in their mouth (or touch their food without washing their hands). She could have caught it at the tanning salon or the gym. There's people on here who go years without catching the stomach flu even though they have kids, and take for example my roommate who tells me she's been v* about once every three months or so (single, doesn't have kids) and that's because she doesn't wash her hands. So don't worry, unless someone v* right next to you at work all you have to do to stay safe is wash your hands and not touch your face. Follow those simple rules and you'll be ok. As for your husband being upset, well, non-emets are sometimes right that we overreact and they get fed up with that. To them we're being silly, just like we'd probably get upset if a loved one got into panics over something that seems completely silly.

I know all this in my head but I can't get myself to stop thinking that I'm doomed. It's hard not to think that I'm doomed. It feels like everyone is sick. Yuck. I want a good weekend but feel like every second i may throw up.

You are not doomed. That is you anxiety playing tricks on your mind. The anxiety part of you mind is thinking irrational and obsessive thoughts.

You hubby is prob upset since he thinks the next 48 hours are going to be awful.

What about changing your prediction and letting the rational side of your mind take over? What about you and your hubby taking off and going someplace fun? What would happen if you should decide to have fun this weekend?

What if you found out that Monday, the earth would implode? Would you rather spend your last days miserable or happy? You think that the last example was silly???? The irrational side of your mind is trying right now to convince you that your world is going to implode and you will get sick.

HAVE FUN, KICK EMETS A... YOU CAN DO IT, ONE DAY AT A TIME.

We have no real plans this weekend which kind of makes me feel better cuz if I did get sick i wouldn't be out much fun but at the same time i'm a nervous wreck. I know i need to be rational. I still plan on playing monopoly or fortune street tonight with the hubby and tomorrow going out for dinner and maybe seeing a movie or something. I won't stop my weekend unless i actually feel or get sick but i'm still a nervous wreck. I feel doomed and i hate feeling that way. It won't stop my weekend but i'll be worried deep down about it.

I wish, i was pyschic,lol, you may think your weekend is ruined, but i bet the person who is ill, is having worse weekend then you, you may not even get ill, and you spent the whole weekend worrying about it,

I know. I know i'm being irrational and illogical but I can't help it when people around me are sick. I feel bad for the one that is sick but yet at the same time i'm angry at her for not taking proper precautions. I tend to get angry at sick people and think that if they would have been more careful that wouldn't have happened and i wouldn't be freaking out. It's wrong of me... i feel bad but i can't help it. I hope she gets better quickly but I really really don't want it.

We all do this at times. You got to try to fight the irrational feelings. Enjoy your monopoly game tonight.

My relatives claim they have noro all the dang time. If they washed their hands once in awhile, they wouldn't get noro or fp nearly as often as they do. At any rate, she is at home caring for herself and not sharing. Have fun this weekend. Take a break from emet.

I know... I'm just freaking out. I can tell i'm anxious because I keep burping and i'm having excess saliva today and it's just bad. I make myself half sick worrying

If it makes you feel better, ask the psychic pen - http://www.facade.com/yesno/

I just tried the psychic pen. I didn't like it's answer. LOL

Haha I dont believe in psychics or anything like that. I'm a Christian and I believe in God so I just keep praying that he keeps me healthy and so far he has. Many Many years i've escaped it even when my husband has had it and that alone should make me feel better but it doesn't. I just got to keep praying and trusting God will not allow me to get sick. I still worry even though I know God commands us not to worry.

Well, I didn't say it was always accurate! However, sometimes it makes me feel a little better as stupid as that may be. In all seriousness, no psychic (or psychic pen) can tell you with absolute certainty what will happen. They can only read probabilities. Probabilities can be changed.

I prefer to lean on God he is the same always. Haha i don't think no psychic pen would make me feel better. Thanks for the offer though I hope everyone has a great weekend. I tend not to get on here much during the weekend because it's too hard to see on my phone and I never have time to get on during the day at home during the weekends. Hope everyone stays healthy.

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    The courage to change the things I can,
    And the wisdom to know the difference

Cynna-- I was just thinking... the serenity prayer and "one day at a time" are big parts of my 12-step fellowship! Guess I can use the same principles, huh?

Jenn-Find inspiration anywhere you can.

Cool-How was your weekend? Are you feeling ok? Did you have fun?

My weekend ended up going pretty well. Friday night we stayed in and just relaxed. I made a pizza and we played a game and just stayed in. Saturday I slept in and when I got up I visited my grandma and then we went out for lunch and saw a movie then spent the rest of the evening with my sister in law and her family and played games until 1 a.m. Sunday we went to church and Hubby and I are youth leaders so we kept the group all day at the church. We even went to a pizza buffet. Not my choice but nonetheless we did it and I survived the experience without freaking out haha. We played some volleyball with them and just had a good time. I survived. Although, a lot of kids had been sick during the week that were there yesterday but i just tried to keep my distance while still talking to them and being nice to them hahaha. The weekend was great... I hope we stay healthy. The lady that was sick friday is back today she said she hasn't thrown up since 9:30 am on Friday morning so her bug was short lived... like 6 hours of throwing up. A girl in my youth group though said she threw up from Monday until Friday. The doctor said there is a bug that's lasting a week like she had. I don't want none of that or even the 6 hour one. I just want to get through the season vomit free!. I'm praying that happens.

I'm so glad you went ahead and enjoyed your weekend. You did great managing your anxiety. Pat yourself on the back. I'm sure you wash your hands and sanitize frequently, so you are probably in the clear.

I do wash my hands and sanitize a lot. I hope i'm in the clear for the whole season. I will worry until it's summer haha.

Worried, but not letting it control your life. Good job!

Second that, good job!

Well done! it's great you still enjoyed your weekend. Hand hygiene is the most important thing so it's good you've got that sorted!

I did enjoy my weekend! I try to not let this rule my life or stop what I want to do even though I'm terrified before and after "living life" haha. I am fine during the event or whatever but i dread it and then fear what i picked up while there.