Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Does it bother you when...

you sit down to eat with someone and they do not wash or sanitize their hands?

Default Re: Does it bother you when...

Not really. It bothers me if the person hugs me being sick.
    Tick tock, time is passing and so is your life. Enjoy it while you can.
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

It bothers me. Of course, the main people I eat with (besides my immediate family) are my relatives and who knows when they last washed their hands.

People forget. I forget.

Yes!!!!!! Even if I forget as well. I think more people just put forth effort into staying clean!

I don't see how they forget when I remind them.

Yes. Especially if it's something that people eat with their hands... and even more if I'm supposed to be sharing with them (like chips at the Mexican restaurant). I cringe if they don't wash their hands after handling the menu, etc. I wish I didn't notice this stuff! Blessing and a curse?!

Sometimes. Usually I will say let me wash my hands before we eat and that kind of starts a bandwagon.

I say that too, plus I slide the hand sanitizer on over. Not to mention, saying "would you like to use my hand sanitizer?" Or "the girls are out of the bathroom, would you like to wash your hands?" You'd think that would be a hint.

Honestly I dont really care too much. Which is probably a good thing in a way. I sometimes dont bother myself. Actually truth be told, I havent had a sv in a gazillion years and I hardly wash them before eating. However if i know someone has been sick around me (with anything, not just a sv) or i have been somewhere like a hospital, nursing home, etc i wash and sanitize jsut to be cautious because I have caught gastro from a hospital as a child.

Quote Originally Posted by Grace47 View Post
    I don't see how they forget when I remind them.
    I always figure they'll wash their hands if they want to, and if they don't, it's not my problem
    Come visit my history blog:

Yes it does bother me at times and I will make it known to my boyfriend. He is so cocky and seldom washes his hands because he thinks he must possess the immune system of Zeus. Oy

Just all the surfaces people touch every single day and then you touch that same surface. I would think even a non emet would contemplate that at least once or twice. Perhaps not.
    I wanna feel the change consume me,
    Feel the outside turning in.
    I wanna feel the metamorphosis and
    Cleansing I've endured within
    My shadow

Disclaimer: **I try and answer posts to the best of my knowledge but unfortunately, I am not a medical professional so take my advice/recommendations with a grain of salt.

It doesn't bother me really, as long as they keep their hands to themselves and don't go poking on my plate. I don't really like sharing food with people, I never have so I've never really had to worry about that. And when I have shared foods it's been with my mum and she used my hand gel before she cut the sandwich in half, I didn't really give her a choice.

I don`t care as long as they don`t touch my food, because it`s them who`ll get sick if they have germs on theyr`e hands.

Completely! I get my Mum to announce 'Hand wash time' before meals even though me and both my siblings are adults now!

Also as awful as this sounds I force my family members to wash their hands when they get home from anywhere and to put anti-viral hand foam on before leaving!

When I lived with flatmates I was stressed and grosed out by their average-poor hygiene!

(I have very severe OCD too though)

xx

emet ana - I wish I could get my brother and dad to participate in doing those things! My mom participates though

Quote Originally Posted by chica2012 View Post
    emet ana - I wish I could get my brother and dad to participate in doing those things! My mom participates though
    Aw that's ashame they won't. It does temporarily make me less anxious but then I guess if people don't wash their hands and still don't get sick then it's good evidence for us that it's not inevitable that we'll get sick if we don't make sure to be 100% hygienic. My brothers definitely resent being asked to clean their hands!

Ya I think it can be harder with me....since soo many men don't EVER even wash their hands after going to the bathroom...I agree, you would think the evidence would be enough for them to follow through!

Yeah I think it's 1 in 3 men that don't wash their hands!

Yes, it makes me cringe. Even if they do wash their hands or use sanitizer and then proceed to touch their cell phone or other contaminated objects while they are eating. It's like, why bother washing your hands when you are continuing to touch dirty objects? It is no surprise to me that people catch illnesses as much as they do because most people aren't conscientious about it. I don't like to eat anything I can't eat with a utensil when I am at a restaurant because I hate having to touch the food (like cookies or bread).

I only freak out if my kids and I don't wash before we eat. The kids because I'm the one who gets to take care of them when they are sick. I have given up on my hubby he never gets sick anyway. As for anyone else I just shake my head and say good luck to them if they get sick. There are way took many aspects of my life I try to control and don't have time to worry about others.