Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default How soon before v* do symptoms begin for an sv*?

I'm wondering how soon before v* do symptoms seem to start with an SV? Like the nausea and stuff?
    The reason: my whole work is infected and I am freaking out. I work at a women's shelter and the bug has made itself known around those halls! Luckily we have an office for staff and a staff bathroom but I talk to these women on a daily basis. My hands are soooo dry from all the hand-washing and I've been downing grape juice like a crazy person. Anyways, the tough thing is, I also have a sensitive stomach, or I'm just thinking myself sick. But lately when I get nauseous I try to think to myself "Well if I was gonna v*, it would've already happened....right?" just to calm myself down. But honestly, how long do you usually feel nauseous for before the v*? what have you all experienced? Thanks for any advice.

Default Re: How soon before v* do symptoms begin for an sv*?

It varies greatly. Emets can be nauseated hours before vomiting, if ever. The average person goes and chucks up in 20-30 minutes of being nauseated.

If you start to feel nauseated, take some kind of anti-emetics. Pepto-Bismol has the advantage of being absorbed through the stomach so you can get it in even if your stomach has stopped digesting in preparation for vomiting.

Doug
    To learn more about emetophobia, see
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

So does this mean that pepto can actually prevent v*? or just reduce the horrible feeling of nausea that precedes it?

Yes, Pepto-Bismol is strong enough at suppressing the vomiting center that it can counteract a small dose of ipecac. Dramamine/Gravol can also prevent vomiting, but it can't be absorbed after the stomach has stopped digesting in preparation for vomiting. Doug

You are a wealth of knowledge! Thank you

Oh my god, pepto can prevent v!? Well I know what I'll be asking my mom to pick up from the store tomorrow, just in case I ever feel nauseous.

Remember that pepto in excess can cause constipation, so don't take it unless it is absolutely needed.

^ I would never take more than an ounce at a time.

I know 2 people who have had Norovirus and they both reported that the first symptom was extreme Stomach Cramps to a point where they couldnt even walk. Then the nausea started some 4 hours after and then they started vomiting a few hours after that.

I don't like taking medicine, so don't worry I wouldn't chug it or anything. I'm very careful on not taking more than the recommended dose. Plus constipation would not be fun!

Pepto is brilliant stuff if you can keep it down! :P It tastes exactly like it smells and it is a bit too thick for my liking! But hey, if it works... And it does! Within about half hour! Did not know it was strong enough to stop V* though, just thought it got rid of N*.

The two people I know that have had Noro did not actually V*. Just had severe D* and stomach cramps! They said it was so bad they could not leave the toilet! One's started in Sainsburys so he got stuck in the Sainsburys toilets apparently! :/ Not cool. So you may be free from V* altogether. I like your justification about if you were going to V* you would have done it already. I have similar thoughts myself and it does help the anxiety.

Hi,

There are lots of strains of norovirus and people's immune systems react differently to each strain. I've had one case where I had mild stomach cramps build into severe and then sickness. Another where I started to feel nauseous and then v* fairly quickly and another where I felt sick but only had D*.

For some reason I think that the start of norovirus feels really different to anxiety-induced nausea so mostly I know if I'm feeling sick cos I'm anxious or feeling sick cos I'm sick but that doesn't always work!

There are prescription anti-emetics that you could ask your GP for

Pepto has something similar in it to aspirin. A side effect of the drug can be Reyes Syndrome. Not good for children or breast feeding moms. Consult with your doctor if you are young or breastfeeding before taking it.

Kick emets a....