Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Has anyone else's Emet morphed into a worse phobia?

Hey Guys,

Haven't posted in a looooong time. For a while I just was kind of dealing with my Emetophobia but lately its been kinda bad. No one has gotten sick but I don't trust my roommates (they poop and don't wash their hands sometimes, or just use hand sanitizer...). And with the Flu season up and running, I'm getting worse.

It used to be I had no phobias about catching colds or the flu, it was just a fear of the norovirus. Well, I'm noticing that now I have almost the same fear/reaction to someone who has a cold or the flu (by the way, everyone thinks that the stomach bug and the flu are the same, drives me nuts). I'm a college student, and I'm getting to the point where I go crazy just sitting in class and I don't want to sit by anyone because I don't know if they've been sick or are sick or if they've washed their hands, etc. Its starting to get in the way of daily life, and I'm starting to worry about it a little bit. I find myself praying desperately every night that no one in my apartment will get sick because I have no where else to turn.

So, a few questions for y'all:

Has your Emet morphed into a fear of illness in general?

Also, not Emet related, but is the Flu vaccine any good this year? I've heard it hasn't been super effective this year and I'm wondering if I should go get one. I know its later in the season but I've read its still not too late.

One last question regarding treatment of Emet: Are there any pills you can take on a daily basis that will just "shut off" the center of your brain that causes the hideous act we have a phobia of? Or if I were to go to a doctor, could they prescribe anti-emetics (I mean more than pepto...I'm talking, like, nothing is EVER coming up anti-emetics) that I could take when I felt like I was in a situation involving said bodily function?

Thanks a ton guys, its nice to know there are people out there with similar phobias. I'm probably going to have to go see a therapist soon. I can't handle this much longer, and I'm starting to think I'd rather feel nothing with the help of a pill than to feel anxiety and terror. The thought of going to class terrifies me, and I find myself spraying lysol on every freakin' handle or item that gets touched in my apartment. Slightly compulsive...not quite obsessive yet.

Default Re: Has anyone else's Emet morphed into a worse phobia?

I guess you could say my emet has morphed into me being somewhat of a "germaphobe." I don't freak out to the extent that I do with Noro, but I just get very anxious when my body feels "off." Really, the biggest thing for me about other illnesses is that I'm afraid they will lower my immune system to the point where I will catch the sv*. For the most part, though, if I know I just have a sinus infection or a cold, I'm okay.

The worst thing about my phobia lately, though, is that it has gotten to the point where I don't want to go anywhere... I try to force myself, and I do well some days. Other days, I just panic, and wish I hadn't gone. There are some times that I am fine while I'm there (shopping / eating out / etc), but then I come home and panic afterwards. I have faith that it's going to get better, though; the last medication I was on was increasing my anxiety drastically, and I'm on the road to changing that . I definitely clean like a mad woman, and I just posted earlier how I'm really confused as to what is "normal hygiene" versus "irrational emet hygiene." For now, I'm going to continue my cleaning until I figure it out So... I can see how emetophobia can morph into agoraphobia, which stinks.

For what it's worth, I made it through my whole college years (and high school!) without ever v* once from sickness. I lived in the dorm my first year, and after that, even though I lived alone in an apartment, I still spent a lot of time at my boyfriend's, and he was NOT hygienic whatsoever. Gross. I only was s* twice from liquor (Wild Turkey in high school and vodka in college-- YUCK!)... but I don't remember, so it didn't bother me. Well, it bothered me enough that I don't drink at all anymore, but didn't phase me at the time. I never got Noro until last year (I'm 31), and that was after having mono and the shingles... so obviously, my immune system was drastically compromised.

I have yet to find a pill that you could take to shut off the center of the brain that causes v*, and most people would tell us that's not healthy, lol, but I still want one . I hesitate to even write this... but you asked... I have a friend that swears he canNOT v*. He literally cannot do it. He had an operation due to something wrong with his esophagus (I think? I don't know details, so it may not make sense-- I was just fascinated, lol), and literally, nothing can come up! Does anyone know if this is really true? He swears it is! We whitewater raft together, so spend time camping in the summer, and one night, we were talking about my phobia. He said I never had to worry about him, because he could physically not v*. Sounds like a fantastic idea to me, emet-driven or not. I told him I wanted that surgery, and he said it's not what it's cracked up to be-- he has other health problems and can't even really burp? Anyway, I do not rationally think that is a good idea-- just fantasy, I suppose, but... ??

For starters I just got the flu jab 2 weeks ago. Generally Im not afraid of coughs & colds but this years flu seems to have a slight tendency to include v* in some cases so I decided to take any precaution available. I dont think there is any drug that can just shut off the v* part of the brain unfortunately but there are many anti-emetics that can ease nausea & sometimes help prevent v* if taken early enough. I have a prescription for domperidone which is an anti-emetic but seems to work on helping your stomach to process food quicker so it doesnt stay in your stomach as long as it normally would. My number 1 choice is phenergan. I dont know what country you live in but here in the UK you can buy it otc , online or get it from your dr. It often makes you drowsy but Ive been using it for so long that it rarely has that effect on me.

I also think a visit to your dr is advisable as your emet is now encroaching on your everyday life. Perhaps they can prescribe you some anti-emetics & some anxiety meds & also refer you to a good therapist.

Dang, you'd think by now they'd have some kind of pill to target that center of the brain. Huge bummer. I'll go see a doctor for sure, I'm fed up with this crap! I hear that a norovirus vaccine is in the works and should be on the market in a few years. I will pay whatever it takes to get vaccinated.

Anywho, thanks for the feedback. Good to know I can escape here with you guys.

Good question.

I think I've become more annoyed with people who don't cover their mouths when the sneeze or cough, so I think I've become a slight bit germophobic.

Mine has but it is because my daughter has weakened lungs from being on a ventilator for a month in the NICU. She had to be quarantined the first 2 winters of her life (no malls, stores, family get togethers, etc) and still managed to catch a cold one year and pneumonia the next. So I fear colds and influenza for her sake not for my own.

I have noticed this winter season especially that I am more worried about all sickness. It used to always be *sv...but now the flu or anything causes anxiety. I worry and stress all the time if I have been exposed, have I washed my hands enough. Have I done everything I can to prevent it. I literally drive myself crazy with anxiety. So yes I definitely feel like my emet has morphed into other sickness also. IS IT SPRING YET???

Hi Surfer777,

I have quite severe OCD and what you describe sounds a bit like contamination variant OCD. The best treatment for OCD is Cognitive behavioural therapy, which can also be helpful for emetophobia.

I think you probably can get your doctor to prescribe strong anti-emetics (others on the forum have)- I'm thinking of doing the same!
    Last edited by emet-ana; 01-16-2013 at 01:02 PM.

I have become very OCD about all germs because just about anything can make some people vomit, so yes, I'm afraid of catching the flu and everything else a person could get. It's awful! I'm even afraid of getting the flu shot because some people get flu-like symptoms with it.

I'm okay with other illnesses. Not that I want to catch them, but I don't tend to freak out. Mine is only when I hear someone has sv. I don't really freak out then, but stay faaaaar away from the culprit!

Quote Originally Posted by jennjt View Post

I hesitate to even write this... but you asked... I have a friend that swears he canNOT v*. He literally cannot do it. He had an operation due to something wrong with his esophagus (I think? I don't know details, so it may not make sense-- I was just fascinated, lol), and literally, nothing can come up! Does anyone know if this is really true? He swears it is! We whitewater raft together, so spend time camping in the summer, and one night, we were talking about my phobia. He said I never had to worry about him, because he could physically not v*. Sounds like a fantastic idea to me, emet-driven or not. I told him I wanted that surgery, and he said it's not what it's cracked up to be-- he has other health problems and can't even really burp? Anyway, I do not rationally think that is a good idea-- just fantasy, I suppose, but... ??
    I had mono in 2008, it was awful. Took them 4 months to diagnose it. I didn't v* but I had no appetite and anything I ate made me n*.

I think I 'broke' my ability to v*! I used to do deep breathing and swallow a lot until it passed. So much that now as soon as I start to gag, even if I want to 'get it over with' - I SWALLOW. It's like a reflex. I can't control it, it just happens. Not that I mind. . . or want to test it.

Back on topic - in HS and for a year or so after my emet definitely turned into agoraphobia. They had to force me to go to school and I wouldn't leave my house otherwise.
    -Jenni

"Look for love and evidence that you're worth keeping." PJ

Hi, yes in my late 20's mine gradually progressed into full blown health anxiety, (a form of hypochondria) terrified of cancer or any other possible illness. I eventually had a breakdown but with many sessions of counciling, anti-depressants & time off work I finally conquered the health anxiety & have now been free for three years but unfortunatly I am still left with the emetophobia. I guess having the emetophobia for 39 years it is too engrained in my brain. Anybody young reading, this is why it is important to seek professional help early.

Russell

It seems like its not uncommon for emetophobia to develop even further...emet-ana, you mentioned cognitive behavioral therapy, would you mind giving me a brief rundown of what that is, or what they do during that kind of treatment? Several people have told me exposure therapy is the way to go, but seeing as every time I'm around someone throwing up I freak out, exposure is NOT the answer for me.

Surfer, here's another Ana talking. CBT therapy works mostly about our reaction and how to cope with our fear. The therapist gives you tips about how to stay calm and you'll have someone to talk every week. Being able to be truly honest with someone, knowing that they won't judge you, is better, because part of this phobia is anxiety. In my opinion Exposure Therapy isn't something good - I kind of had it, after having noro/rota, but the fear came back two weeks later.

So, here's my answer. Yes, it has. Now I can't be near anyone who's sick or feeling nauseous. When I was a child I used to "look after" my parents when they were ill/sick. I didn't mind at all. But in May, when I was "looking after" my father, I caught noro/rota and oh well, now if someone's ill/sick I just run
    Tick tock, time is passing and so is your life. Enjoy it while you can.
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I'm interested, too, in what emet-focused CBT really is. I have found a therapist in my area to go to once I am stabilized on new meds. Meds are in the works, so... A friend of mine is actually seeing this therapist now, but he is going for fear of public speaking. He kind of explained to me that, with his phobia, she was working with him on the logical stuff to counteract the illogical fear. And also basically using the principle of "acting as if..." Kind of like doing it anyway to see that he's not going to die, I guess? He said it was kind of like "fake it til you make it," which I guess is acting on the logical parts of your brain until the illogical parts catch up?

I see the theory, but I'm not convinced... Maybe it would be totally different working strictly on emet, but I already know that my fear is irrational / illogical, and the fear still comes... And I don't think I will die if I v*, but the panic is almost unbearable. Like I can't stand to be in my skin feeling that way one more minute. I want to hear some success stories!! . Especially because I don't have mental health insurance, and this will be out of pocket!!

Hi surfer777,

CBT focuses on changing unhelpful cognitions and behaviours. So for the cognitive part in emetophobia this might involve working on your assessment of risk and unrealistic appraisals of certain situations. Working on the 'what ifs' or worst case scenarios and seeing that you'll still cope. For the behavioural part this involves working on limiting your avoidance behaviours.

There are lots of different techniques used in CBT including ERP (Exposure and response prevention), mindfulness and relaxation techniques and imaginal exposure (where you imagine the worst case scenario and deal with the emotions that this would bring up e.g. if you caught norovirus)

ERP should be gradual, starting with really tiny steps such as reading the word v* and working up through a hierarchy of fears (e.g. step 2 might be looking at cartoons of people puking, step 3 might be listening to the sound of someone puking on a CD, step 4- watching youtube videos of people puking etc.)

CBT when applied to general health anxiety would be similar- working on your worries about illness and on reducing your avoidance and safety behaviours.

I had CBT which helped some of my other OCD symptoms in the past and am seeing a psychologist just now but I was too anxious to complete ERP for my emetophobia in the past so I'll have to try it again!

In the UK CBT is offered on the NHS and you can either self-refer to the IAPT or ask your GP to refer but I'm not sure how the health systems work in America and Australia
    Last edited by emet-ana; 01-16-2013 at 04:27 PM.

I don't freak out about other illnesses (except that I don't want to catch them cause I'm too busy with school), and I don't mind being close to people as long as they don't send any bodily fluids my way (coughing, sneezing, v*, spit..). I do worry though about sharing my apartment because my roommate tends to get sick fairly often and she's not very good with washing her hands enough and properly... so whenever I hear suspicious noises or she's sleeping in the daytime I worry she brought a stomach virus home. But that's about it. As for your other questions, actually the flu vaccine is fairly good this year, they got the right strain so it protects pretty well (I can attest to that, I have been exposed and didn't catch it thanks to the vaccine). No, there is no such thing as a pill that you can take daily to prevent v*, and no anti-emetic will be 100% effective all the time. They do help reduce the likelihood of v* in certain instances but they will not work every time.

CBT sounds intriguing...I'll have to talk to someone about maybe trying that treatment. My thing is, I know what the repercussions are if I'm close to a sick person or if I touch infected stuff, so I feel like there's no hope because I'll always know what is out to get me. Its a very vicious cycle we're a part of...

EDIT: AoD, you said the flu shot is good this year!!! May I ask where you're located? I'm in Utah right now and after what you said I'm seriously considering the vaccine.

Yes mine has. I'm almost scared to leave my house. All I can think about is SV. It's ruining my life. Somedays I can't cope to the point I don't even get out of bed. My doctor gave me a new medication so I hope it helps. But I think with its side effects right along with the other stuff I take I was really restless, tired and N.

I'm in Canada, and the latest news reports say the vaccine reduces cases by half this year so that's fairly good. I did have a night of mild fever followed by a day of fatigue after exposure to the sick person, but that is MUCH better than the full week of severe illness she had. Keep in mind that even if the vaccine isn't spot on every year, it does offer some protection and you're more likely to have a milder illness even if it fails to prevent it completely. Also, it takes about two weeks after the shot for the body to produce enough antibodies to give a good protection.

OK, you've talked me into getting a vaccine. I can't get the flu this year, too much on the line with school. Even if its not as bad, I probably would still only miss a day or two. Gosh I hate phobias.

So...another flu question. My grandpa is in town and is staying with my cousin and his wife. Apparently they weren't feeling well, probably flu. But possibly norovirus, I didn't ask for details. If he was exposed, would I be likely to catch either virus from him? I just had dinner with him tonight and I couldn't stop thinking about it.

I really do wish that there was a drug that could completely shut down the v centre of the brain, because I`d be happy to take it.

Mine was moderate until December 2011, when I got sv and it got MUCH worse afterwards.

I have been a forum member for a while, but have not posted much. I can relate to this question, though...

My phobia has gotten to the point where I am scared to eat anything, because I might *feel* sick. I am severely underweight right now, which has slowed down my digestion, often making me feel gross physically; it just spirals into this crazy response, and I have been unable to gain weight for two years. I have this thing with burping, and if I can still taste the last thing I ate or drank, I will not eat or drink anything else until it is gone. Unfortunately, in order to gain weight I have to figure out how to deal with this horrible anxiety, because I will have to force myself to eat, even when I still "burp" the taste of what I ate before. It is terrible. I am not working now, while getting CBT and getting my medications sorted out. I hope to gain weight soon; I have just been scraping by here.

I hate that sensation of burping and still tasting what you last ate. Even if you don't feel funny, its the worst. Happened to me last night. We went out to eat with my grandpa and the meat wasn't super hot, it made me a little nervous. Ate it anyways, and at about 12:30 last night I couldn't stop thinking about it and had a full blown panic attack because I thought I was going to get sick. I didn't get sick, but I could still taste the meat every time I burped. And this morning I'm still full from dinner, which NEVER happens to me.

If I ate funny meat, I probably would have gotten sick from it last night, right? I'd at least be feeling it by now, correct? We ate at about 7:30 or so last night, had my panic attack from 12:30 to about 1:00, and this morning I'm feeling full. But not sick. I'm probably in the clear?

Quote Originally Posted by surfer777 View Post
    CBT sounds intriguing...I'll have to talk to someone about maybe trying that treatment. My thing is, I know what the repercussions are if I'm close to a sick person or if I touch infected stuff, so I feel like there's no hope because I'll always know what is out to get me. Its a very vicious cycle we're a part of...

EDIT: AoD, you said the flu shot is good this year!!! May I ask where you're located? I'm in Utah right now and after what you said I'm seriously considering the vaccine.
    I think that we have to learn to see v* differently. So that even if we are at risk of catching something we don't freak out! Most people would be a little bothered if they came into contact with someone who was actively ill but it wouldn't be all they could think about or scare them that much.

I agree with you though- it's difficult because we do fear being sick and we do know what causes it!