Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Exclamation PANIC: Just consumed out-of-date medicine.

Hi everyone,

I haven't been on here for ages as I feel I've been coping well...but today a spanner has been thrown into the works.

I have come back from the chemist with medicine for my painful tooth. It's powder form which the chemist mixed with water to activate. It's high dosage and contains penicillin. (hoping I'm not allergic too). I took the first dose and afterwards realised that it went out of date in Oct 2012. PANIC.

My mum immediately phased the chemist and asked is it dangerous/when can I get a replacement.. The chemist said it is safe within 3 months past it's use by date. Still worried though.

Now I'm worried that I migh be s* as a side effect from taking out of date meds. My mum said it was only dry power form originally so will be safe.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Default Re: PANIC: Just consumed out-of-date medicine.

No, you should not get sick. It may have lost some of the effectiveness when it went out of date. That is what I have been told my my pharmacist.

If it was the US, they would not be allowed to sell out of date meds. We can't sell out of date food. Can you call corporate office, a supervisor, or the govt agency that oversees rx to complain?

Not a doc or chemist.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Kick emets a....

Antibiotics don't actually ever expire. They don't go bad. Over time, they just become less effective. You'll be fine.

Thanks. I think I'm okay. When my mum called the chemist up he said I can get a replacement. The chemist actually checked out the rest of the stock of that medicine and found that they were also all out of date- ready to be served to unknowing customers - not the best organisation and safety! taught me a lesson - be vigilante with anything I consume in the near future!

That's unfortunate, I guess not all pharmacies check their stock regularly (we did, every two weeks we'd check the dates and tag the bottles that were soon to be out of date (actually we threw away things that weren't even past their due date because we need to consider how fast the customers will use it... so they don't have meds that expire in a month but that they would take over three months). That being said, it won't cause the antibiotic to make you sick. Some drugs degrade into dangerous chemicals if they are way past their expiry date, but most remain relatively harmless but simply become less effective. You'll be just fine.

no need to panic, medicines actually have a 2 year (on avergae) extension on useby dates. 4 months over is fine, dont stress