Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default I've noticed this...

If there's one thing I've noticed while reading all these posts is that my emet isn't as bad as it could be (not trying to be rude at all to those of you who have it really bad). I use to have it really bad but not anymore. I don't worry about going out in public. I don't worry about washing my hands anymore, in fact I'm actually kinda lazy when it comes to personal hygiene. I don't avoid touching my noise or mouth, I do it quite frequently actually. V* scenes in movies don't bother me anymore, the word doesn't even bother me. I do get nervous when someone at school is sick, or especially someone at my house. However most of the time it's like the phobia's not even there. But recently things have been returning, like having panic attacks at night, paying attention to how I feel to make sure I don't have any sf* symptoms, and just feeling really doubtful. I know why these are returning, I'm weening off an ocd med. However, I'm determined to get rid of this phobia because I have big plans for my future and will not have this getting in the way.

Default Re: I've noticed this...

I totally understand you! I used to think I had it way worse than anybody else in the world, but then I came here and realized some people can't even leave their house. I have bad eating habits, but I think that has to do with more general anxiety than being emet related. I can leave my house, I touch my face a lot, I rarely wash my hands before eating, most of the time I have normal hand washing hygiene. It seems this phobia is only here if me or somebody around me has a chance of v, and that's when all hell breaks loose and it interferes with my life. It gives me hope knowing I'm not as bad as i thought I was, especially when I hear stories of people recovering

This is exactly how I used to be before my husband got a terrible SV. The sounds he was making brought back every single one of my emet fears. That is how I found this website. I was googling how not to catch what he had.

Well kuddos to you for not wanting it to get in the way of living. It could be coming back because you're coming off the medication indeed. I'm more lax in the summer with hand washing and not touching my face etc. If I never watched the news, I would be better off too. They make a HUGE deal over the noro and re-called food items. Sometimes, not knowing is better than all knowing. They put the fear into me. It's winter time and I think about it much more now than I do in the summer. Maybe you'll feel better once summer arrives?