Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: Chronic nausea?

Default Chronic nausea?

One of the reason i find my emet so hard to deal with is the fact that i literally feel sick ALL the time, some times worse than others. This makes it really difficult for me to engage in my therapy because i never feel up to it. I just wondered whether anyone else has this problem and if there is anything you know will help?
    "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to end, it's about learning to dance in the rain"

Default Re: Chronic nausea?

I have known other people who do, although, I do not have that problem myself. Have you spoken to your doctor to see if there is a physical cause? Continue to see your therapist, but also rule out any physical aliment. If there is a physical problem, maybe something can be done like a change in diet or something else. I hope you are feeling better soon.

I've had all the physical test done, everything came back normal. I'm having a CT scan next week to make sure its nothing to do with my brain but the doctor thinks its caused by anxiety so theres nothing more i can do
    "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to end, it's about learning to dance in the rain"

It looks like you have covered all the bases. However, just knowing it is from anxiety is a step down the road to recovery. And every step forward is a good one.

Jessica, I feel n* a lot, too, and it is so frustrating. I guess I should say I FEEL like I'm n* but probably can't tell it from regular stomach feelings? I don't know, but like you, I have had tests done. They did find basically a yeast infection in my esophagus, but I have taken the medication to treat that. It always comes down to IBS and anxiety for me, which stinks because I don't know what to do for that besides watch what I eat really carefully. I have started drinking apple cider vinegar every day to see if that helps with digestion. I feel like my food just sits there, so every time I eat, I just feel... Ugh. My IBS used to be d*, and while it was no fun having to be near a bathroom every time I ate, I didn't seem to feel so n* all the time. If you find any solutions, pass them along! I seriously don't panic until I start feeling weird in my stomach, then here we go...

Hi Jessica. Sorry you have to put up with this nausea! I know the feeling all too well as I've experienced it myself.. I had it all day and everyday. However, I think my nausea is coming from a physical cause rather than anxiety. Even when I was having some fun and not worrying it would come so suddenly. I have to take anti-acids daily and they've helped me with the nausea and reflux. Not saying that's what you have of course, just saying that I KNOW how you're feeling.
    Virtue - "You don't need a reason to help people"

Well, at least if it is anxiety then you know there's nothing wrong with you and that should alleviate some of the anxiety at least.

I completely understand what you are saying. I used to have a lot of trouble with that, but am doing better now. What helped me was knowing that I was going to feel unwell rather I stayed at home or not. I would much rather not feel well but be doing something. I find when you do this it gets easier and easier.

Oh yes, i feel extremely n* every minute of everyday. During certain times or a panic attack the n* will get worse, but there is always some level of constant n*. It's not very nice but having had all tests done it's nothing more than GERD and anxiety. I take ginger pills daily and drink ginger tea which helps. Also i avoid any fizzy drinks, spicy foods etc because they act up the reflux. Just knowing it's anxiety makes it a little easier to push aside because you know you've felt that ill before and never v* so why now?

Jessica, this sounds identical to me a few years back. I was nauseated 24/7 and none of the tests came back with anything. I was confident something was wrong because I was just SO nauseated all the time. Then I suggested to my doctor "Could it be because I am SO frightened to be sick?" She said it was, and I started my recovery. I can say with 100% certainty that my chronic nausea was purely anxiety. Anxiety makes you nauseated, and then that makes us anxious. It's a terrible cycle. For me once my anxiety was lessened the nausea was gone. Maybe that's the issue you're having too.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

You may find these links helpful!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I have this too, with no physical problems. I find it helps to drink tea and have a light snack.

I don't have this as bad as I used to - but I learned quickly that it's simply in my head. It could be that; or, as another user said, you could check to see if something is actually physically wrong with you.

I, too, have chronic nausea. I remember as a child complaining of my stomach and tests were ran (I think I was around 7 yrs old) but nothing was found. I have had a "funny" stomach almost all my life, it sucks! I am now 40 and have issues almost every day. I have had an upper endoscopy done and nothing was found. GI Dr diagnosed me with IBS.

Swtpeach, your history sounds like mine! I started having stomach problems around age 7, too-- got upper endo then, then barium swallow in high school. My emet "began" at 7, too, so it's hard to know which came first. I'm 31 & have stomach issues nearly every day, too. They have said IBS but none of the meds work, so I'm thinking anxiety. Ugh.

I have had emet since I can remember. This is my first post on this forum. It's really nice to know there are so many other people out there like me. My cousin is a GI doctor and I annoy him all the time about noro. I just recently got another endo (I got one in 2006) and both times the test results have been completely negative for any abnormalities. I'm sick everyday and I become completely antisocial when I hear people have been sick or are sick. I feel your pain and I almost wish it was something besides anxiety so that it could be a quick fix.

Jenn~
    I have anxiety as well. That does not go hand in hand with emet!! It is a constant battle