Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Obsessive Thoughts and Anxiety + Fearful of Travel (flying)

I have had a very serious fear of V* for a while now.

When I was a bit younger, it was so bad that I was unable to even read or hear the word without being sent into a panic attack. It had become less severe in that respect, and I am now comfortable with the topic enough to say, read, or hear the word. I can discuss it, but I can only discuss it.

I am unable to see it without being sent into full-blown panic attacks. I, myself, have not experienced V* for a good eight years now. I am fairly confident in my ability to avoid it.

However, my biggest issue stems from seeing it happen to others.

It has taken over my life. I've become increasingly anti-social, and fear things such as eating at restaurants, using public restrooms, drinking or being around people who have been drinking, being around children, being around animals that are able to do it, fear of certain medications due to their side-effects, and of course... Travel.

I spend much of my time alone and at home where I feel safe from V*. I rarely get sick with anything but the occasional cold, so my worries for it happening to me are typically at a minimum, and the more I stay inside, the less I am exposed to possible germs and people that could make me ill.

However, I am taking a trip out of state in a little over a month. The trip involves a 3 hour flight, non-stop, both to and from my destination. I was not really concerned about the trip until it dawned on me that the potential of someone being sick on the flight was there. I am even more terrified that someone who is sitting near or next to me will be the one getting sick.

I have been looking forward to this trip for over two years now, and now that I am actually able to afford it, I am concerned for my mental health. I deal with very severe anxiety issues, not all of, or even most of them related to my fear of V*.

I know that I cannot control whether or not people get ill. So, because I cannot control this, I don't know that I wish to go. But, I feel that if I backed out now, I would be disappointing the people I am taking the trip to see, and would evidently regret not going.

I am scared, and I am worried. These worries are taking me over, and I fear that I will have to find a way to separate myself from my fears that does not involve simple coping skills and deep breaths. It was suggested to me that I take some sort of cold or allergy medication that could cause drowsiness, so I could sleep through my flight, but I feel that may be taking it too far. I don't know what to think. I don't know how to approach it. Missing out would hurt me for a long time, but seeing someone get sick would be extremely damaging as well. I feel trapped.

Default Re: Obsessive Thoughts and Anxiety + Fearful of Travel (flying)

I know just how you feel, Little! My fear of flying is not because I will be sick, because that really doesn't happen. It's the dude NEXT to me that I fear. What I've found is that we should definitely not AVOID flying, travel. It's not worth it to miss life hermited in a house. Life is SO worth living, and it's all out there in front of us, regardless of what our phobia tricks us into believing. None of us are going to DIE if we vomit, and none of us are going to DIE if we see somebody else VOMIT. However, I happen to be at a good place right now - LOL! Talk to me during Norovirus season. Hahahaha!!!!

What I suggest for flight is very simple, and I travel fairly often. First and foremost, invest in a good pair of noise-cancelling headphones. If you are not constantly obsessed with listening for somebody who "might not be well" or somebody who "might sound like they might get sick," the travel will be miserable for you. Secondly, I saw my primary care provider, and I asked for something to help with travel sickness. He provided me with a prescription for Transcop Derm (it's a little circle you put behind your ear, and it prevents motion sickness -- boat, plane, car, etc. -- and it's good for several days). Amazing! If you don't want to go that route, buy some Dramamine. Does nicely as well. Third, bring along something that smells nice that you can sniff if you need to. I made a little sachet with peppermint oil and lavender. It wasn't too overpowering, and I kept it in a little baggie. That way if there was an unpleasant smell in the plane, I simply opened that baggie and took a few whiffs - comforting and really does the trick! Dude next to me had BAD B.O. on my last flight out to Myrtle Beach, PLUS he was all hungover and reeking like booze. Hahaha!!! That sachet was PRICELESS for me! Fourth, peppermint gum, for a few purposes! Fifth, EAT BEFORE YOU FLY! I never am able to eat well the evening before I fly because I'm all nerved up. I do force myself the day of my flight to have a very light meal, or at least crackers and PLENTY of hydration. No, I don't like to use bathrooms on a plane, but I make sure that I'm not feeling crappy from dehydration either. Order a Ginger Ale on the flight. Relax. Listen to music through those headphones if you like. Take your mind off being where you are, and your flight will be wonderful!

You deserve travel, and we all deserve a better life than the box this stupid phobia puts us in. Kudos to you! You've saved up, you've looked forward to it, you've earned it -- NOW GO ENJOY IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by wiscomommy; 06-20-2013 at 09:14 AM. Reason: my inner grammar pig noted an error after I posted :)

Default Re: Obsessive Thoughts and Anxiety + Fearful of Travel (flying)

I agree with the previous poster! Don't miss out in your trip. Bring along some distractions to get you through the flight! iPod and a good book, or if you can, pop in your earphones with some relaxing music and try and take a nap! Try and get an isle seat so you don't feel trapped. I'm not sure about regulations for planes these days because they are so strict, if you have an iPad, and are allowed to ise it, bring it and watch a movie with your earphones. Try to be strong and enjoy the trip that you deserve!