Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Huge step and hope for all! :) *slightly graphic

Hi all! I'm fairly new to the community and this is my first thread, although I've been severe-moderate Emet since I was 7yrs old, now 25. I wanted to share a breakthrough that happened to me this past weekend. Slightly GRAPHIC warning! Long story short- I went out for a night on the town with an old high school friend and her mother, who recently lost their father/husband to suicide (very sad). Both my friend and her mom drank way too much (trying to cope with the loss) and although I had a few drinks, I was nowhere near to point these two were by the end of the night. Afterwards, I walked them back to their hotel, and when my friend started crying about her father to her mom, it made her already very drunk mother- sick to her stomach. We were already in the hotel bathroom when she said she was going to be sick. I didn't have time to run, and with everything they had been dealing with, I didn't think my panicking would help. I simply swiftly moved away from the toilet and saw her get sick-AND I WAS FINE! I actually was feeling so proud of myself that I grabbed a washcloth and ran it under some cold water for her to put on her neck and HELD HER HAIR! Then I helped her to the bed and gave her the trash can and saw her get sick-AGAIN! No panic! I'm not sure if it was bc I was a little buzzed/drunk myself, or that their situation made me feel incredibly sad, or what, but it was HUGE for me! Usually, I would have run in the other direction and wouldnt have stopped until I reached home. (Seriously, one time when I was 11, I used a scooter to scoot as fast as possible 3 miles home when a friend got sick outside while playing) I know alcohol induced sickness is a little different, but I now feel very confident now to continue making steps of exposing myself others when they are sick and know that I'll be OK.

Default Re: Huge step and hope for all! :) *slightly graphic

that is so awesome. Well done! That must feel like a real achievement. I think I was about 7 too. Remember nurse aiding in a resthome when in my teens and running away from a resident because she felt sick! The need to flee is unavoidable. That you stayed and helped is a big step.

Good job! That's a huge accomplishment. I don't think I'm there yet at all, but I hope to be one day because I want to have children and I cannot run when they get sick and they will get sick, that's inevitable. Your future looks great and I hope it keeps getting better.
    "And though she be but little, she is fierce"~Helena, A Midsummer Night's Dream

That's really good! I used to be scared of all vomiting but then was exposed lots due to my job (midwife) and over the years I've realised it's only really contagious/norovirus vomiting that scares me. Took me a long time to get to that realisation though but it sounds like you're slowly discovering something similar. Best of luck!

Thanks so much for all the support everyone! Elski, it gives me hope to hear that you're a midwife, as I plan on becoming a Physician Assistant (crazy that I love the medical field with this phobia). I can definitely see myself getting over the noncontagious sickness, but the other will be a challenge! Which is strange bc the last time I was sick, I experienced almost no anxiety at all. It's just usually the feeling leading up to it. I'm thinking of trying CBT soon.

ha..yes I always loved the medical field too despite same phobia. I decided I would steer well away from nursing and did PT. V impressive with other health professionals! esp midwife and paramedics!!

Great job! Who knows if the fact that you were buzzed helped you out, but don't let that take away any of the "GO ME!" factor.

Quote Originally Posted by Dairyfreelife View Post
    ...but I hope to be one day because I want to have children and I cannot run when they get sick and they will get sick, that's inevitable.
    ...and that's why I'm here.